Gettin the "Ford Run Around"...

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2004, 04:58 PM
JBB1073
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Gettin the "Ford Run Around"...

2001, F-250, CC, 4x4, 7.3PSD…
I’ll apologize in advance for the long post (I’m sorry, but I need help).
I’ve had my truck to two dealers 6 times in the past 2 ½ months, and it’s been laid up for weeks at a time.
To cut it short, it’s engine “wobbles” side to side at 1200-1500 RPM. This happens in every gear & while in park. The entire truck vibrates when you hit that specific RPM range, then when you get past that range I think it’s turning so fast that you don’t feel it as much. While driving,,, this “wobbling” is causing the engine to miss, which also makes the truck “buck” really hard. I’m afraid that something is going to break soon, and it will end up costing me a heck-of-a-lot more to fix it!!! (However, I’m only at 79k miles, so the warranty should cover it)
So far the items replaced by the dealers have been the harmonic balancer, flywheel, and fuel pump. As well, they claim that they’ve tested all of my injectors, and the motor mounts are good.
The dealers have both noticed the problem, and both of them don’t have any idea what it could be. The last dealer had a “Ford Engineer” look at it, and he gave them some directions to run in, but it’s not been much help. They simply claimed that my fuel pump was bad, and that the replacement has fixed the problem.
Well,,, it didn’t, and it’s still “bucking & wobbling” while I drive down the road. Plus, the engine still “wobbles” while the truck is in park.
Worst, they are telling me that we’ve got to wait until the “Ford engineer” comes back to the shop, so that they can proceed. When I asked how I need to go about scheduling this visit, their response was “well,,, the engineer covers all of the dealers in South Texas, and he will be back within 3-4 weeks. He will get a-hold of you, and set up a time to bring it in.”.
What can I say? I’m ****ed!!! My truck is screwed up, the power train is still under warranty, and they are telling me that it MAY get looked at in 3-4 weeks. I can easily see that “Ford engineer” forgetting to call me, if he’s even told about it. Then, I’ll be out even more time.
Of course, since I use this pickup for work, it’s starting to hit home pretty hard. I’m having to spend a TON in rental vehicles & $100 deductibles (6 times so far), and there isn’t even a glimmer of hope at this point. If anyone has any good advice, PLEASE pass it along!!!! – Thanks!

Old 03-22-2004, 06:20 PM
bilder12
Posting Guru
Ya dont have a lemon law in Texas ? I would hope you have everything documented !!!! I be wondering if ya got a cps that is totally berserk and the high oil pump also operates the fuel ( eh ? ) Just a thought. Hope you get 'er straightened out.

Old 03-22-2004, 07:17 PM
JBB1073
Freshman User
Well, we've got the Lemon Law, but it's only good for 12k miles, or 12 months....
I really wish this would have happened sooner!

Old 03-22-2004, 08:08 PM
Bluesbandit
Senior User
JBB,

This a true shot in the dark as I am not all that familar with the PSD, but had a truck in my shop (gas engine) Ford that presented similar symptoms. After replacing injectors, checking bears, compression, anything the master techs could think of we found that the shaft connecting the cooling fan to the water pump was bent, and thus causing a vibration that came and went at different rmps. Don't know how it happened, not front end damage or anything else, but a $15 fan clutch cleared up the problem. Needless to say we lost a lot of $ on the deal, but I will never over look it again. Like I said, a shot in the dark, but won't cost you anything look at it. Good luck with the deal, most of them I've done business with seem to be about as responsive as a dead horse.

Old 03-22-2004, 08:18 PM
JBB1073
Freshman User
Bluesbandit - Heck,,, I'll check out ANYTHING at this point!!!
Thanks for the heads-up. I'll look at it as soon as the sun comes up in the morning.
Could you tell that it was bent, just by looking at it?

Old 03-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Scrub
Freshman User
I would think you had a real good case to not only not pay the $100 deductable but also get $500 back. This is warranty work. you took it in to get the vibration problem taken care of which should have cost $100--period. I would bring this up with the ford engineer. If that didnt work then the area rep. Keep moving up the food chain until somebody takes care of it. I wish you luck!

Old 03-23-2004, 09:02 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
has the ford dealer done a contribution test? if there is a weak injector, that will also cause the problem you are a describing.
(Ford tech here) ( certified 7.3L as well as 6.0L diesels)

Old 03-23-2004, 05:28 PM
JBB1073
Freshman User
gerry

They said that they've "looked" at all of the injectors on their test equipment. I'm not positive as to what that means???

Old 03-24-2004, 05:37 AM
gerryg59
Freshman User
well there is the electronic test which test the solenoids meaning the electical side only. There is another piece of equipment that lets the tech check the injectors as they run . Just like a cylinder contribution test, by dropping each injector. This also can be done with the cylinder contribution test on ford test equipment, the draw back on the second one is that it has to be done on a warm engine.