Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II's rolloover hazard

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2004, 05:15 PM
jperryneal
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bronco II's rolloover hazard

I have been wanting to buy a Bronco II for many years now, but the one thing that has been keeping me from it is what I have read about it being a rollover hazard.
WIth what little I have read online, it sounds like Ford knew of the hazard when they first marketed them in 1983 or 84, and didn't correct it till they discontinued the Bronco II and replaced it with the Explorer. I have read that the lawsuits cost Ford a couple of hundred of million dollars.

Still, it can carry more than two, it is enclosed, and it the sharpest looking small truck that I have ever seen.

Would anyone care to comment?
Thanks in advance.

Perry

Old 03-12-2004, 05:42 PM
87 xlt named donk
Junior User
In my opinion if you know how to drive this isn't an issue. I had an experience about 8 years ago that I wish I didn't, but it does have a place here. I was driving intoxicated (horrible I know, I was a dumb farm kid) and tried to out-run the police on country roads and fields. Though I do not remember the event the cops all said they thought most other vehicles would have rolled the way I was going through ditches and jerking the wheel changing directions suddenly at high speed. They were very impressed with Donk's performance but didn't think so highly of mine. They said I would have gotten away but she overeated and died. So to make a long story short, 10 cops were impressed with the stability of the Bronco 2 and this was when she was bone stock besides a 3" body lift which should have hindered performance. I have done some crazy stuff with her since then and I absolutely love her still. Any car will roll with an *** behind the wheel...

Old 03-12-2004, 05:43 PM
87 xlt named donk
Junior User
FYI, Don't try to out-run the police, MOTOROLA is purty quick hehe and DON'T drive drunk either, costs too much.

Last edited by Ken00; 03-12-2004 at 08:38 PM.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:29 PM
Jrmobb
Freshman User
Ihave rolled my baja bug because i took a sharp turn in neutral and it has a body lift and wheels agled in \ /. but i drive normal even kinda fast in my bronco 2 and im fine. If your going to drive like a maniac u have to know the limits of your car.

So i guess the moral is drive normal and know u cant make sharp turns going fast, and you will be just fine

Old 03-12-2004, 08:54 PM
tmehrkam
Mountain Pass
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you keep to the standard tire problems no problem.

If you change the tire sizes watch out.

1995 Bronco II 4x4 2.8L 5 speed manual.

Old 03-16-2004, 11:06 PM
hazzard64
Freshman User
ive been driving my b2 for about 2 years now, and that was the first thing my dad said when i bought it. well its stock pretty much everywhere but the sound system( not for long though) and being a 16 to now an 18 year old driver i can say that even the savage driving tactics of me and my friends havent been able to even get this beasty thig on two wheels, so, even driving like a maniac, it is still fine. no roolover problem here.

Old 03-17-2004, 01:32 AM
BroncoIIFool
New User
Originally posted by tmehrkam

Sorry, I have to chime in here, as that is a TOTALLY FALSE STATEMENT.. I have 6" of lift, and 3" of body lift running 33" tires and I can tell you right now, my rig is more stable than ANY stock rig..

Wider Stance=Better...

Old 03-17-2004, 04:59 AM
nogo73
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got my 2wd on 2 wheels about 20 times I never rolled it If you take it easy while turning you shouldn't have any problems. I was pulling u turns on gravel for about 10 of the 20 times I turn the wheel all the way hammer down and let off right away!(feel it come up and then down) .these things are made for offroading I'd have to go about 60-70mph through the trails not to get stuck.
never broke anything until two years ago I cracked both heads it had 90,000 hard miles I bought it with 75,000.I had to get a 4x4 so it had to go.

Old 03-21-2004, 12:40 PM
Sawfish
Junior User
Cool

We have an '87 Bronco II and another "dangerous vehicle", a 1985 Jeep CJ-8 . If you drive like a fool, you will have a problem regardless of the vehicle.

My only complaint with the B-II was that the OEM shocks were kind of weak, and seemed to be single action shocks. A good set of heavy duty shocks improved vehicle stability a great deal.

Old 03-22-2004, 09:11 AM
shadower
New User
I am looking to receive an 87 Bronco 2 from my grandmother it is 2wd and i want to put some bigger tires on it, not like 33 inches but some good size tires now taking in to consideration i am not driving like a maniac would there be any worry of it tipping at all i mean even the slightest chance? It has no lift either i just want larger tires.

Old 03-22-2004, 05:36 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Originally posted by tmehrkam

The taller tire on my BIIs have improved threr handling alot.The B II will roll over earser then most cars but if you drive it with some smatness{is that a word}you will be ok.
They didn't make a Bronco II in 1995 .The last year they made the BII was 1990.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:17 PM
Sawfish
Junior User
We figured he meant 1985 because of the 2.8L engine.

Old 03-22-2004, 06:53 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Sawfish
We figured he meant 1985 because of the 2.8L engine.
YEA I did to,but had to remind him.

Old 03-23-2004, 03:43 PM
sirkul
New User
My 87 b2 is a pretty stable ride. I need new shocks but that's my only complaint. I used to offroad a ton...I live in CO. I used to live bout 45 min from Hackett Gulch if you know what that is, when it was better....damn you rain! Anyway....I took my full size and my baby bronco out into the hills all the time....i Lived up a 4x4 trail and used to get sideways up the ice covered trail at about 35-40 mph without an issue. Then again...All I've ever had is Broncos. 3 full size and one baby. They're a little squirrely at first, but once you get used to it...WATCH OUT....I love them and miss my full sizes like no other.... And the only almost rolling I had happen, I was coming down a 4x4 trail, fishtailing around a corner and my rear tires caught a clump of weeds or a little tree or something and I slid so that the driver's door was facing down the hill and i was on two wheels, but it settled down and off I went.

I love my trucks....sigh...
'The best fiction is far more true than any kind of journalism.' W. Faulkner

Old 03-24-2004, 08:38 PM
shadower
New User
Sirkul what size tires did you have on your small B2 and did you ahve a lift?

Quick Reply: Bronco II's rolloover hazard