Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II's rolloover hazard

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2004, 09:04 PM
broncobasher
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
B2_tim, I have an air horn on mine. I have found as you have, most animals will get out of the way when you blow the horn. They look up and then move off the road. Most that you hit look up just before you hit them, that is when they finally heard you coming. Thing about the deer, I had my brights and driving lights on and blew the horn. There was a deer on either side of the road, the one on the left looked up at me then darted across. I guess it really just couldn't wait to get the other side. The horn always seems to work on dogs and birds though. That air horn has saved me from getting backed into by a semi on a 1 way street and a couple of other times. It really gets peoples attention.

Old 06-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's not as much a center of gravity issue as it is body roll. Body roll shifts the weight of the vehicle off center and that's what puts you up on 2 wheels. Be sure your B2 has the sway bars, I think they were pretty well standard equipment but I've heard of some people taking them off because "It improved the ride"... So make sure that is intact, and check your shocks also, use a good brand, and check for wear or damage often. Anyway, the sway bars and a good set of shocks will help a ton, but nothing can make up for lousy driving. Take it from someone who drives a 3/4 ton conversion van every day... you don't swerve, and you don't corner like Mario Andretti, unless you like being on your side.

Old 06-04-2004, 11:21 AM
bigirish34
New User
Thumbs up

I've had 4 B2's and have had 31 x 10.50's on all of them and I've never come close to tippin' over. I've had them in some pretty radical positions. These beasts will climb a tree even if a turtle can out run them. I'll have one as long as I can find them.I also have a 3" body lift on it as well.

Last edited by bigirish34; 06-04-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-05-2004, 01:58 AM
AG4.0
Posting Guru
I had to BII's, an 84 and an 89. Both were very stable, especially the 84 after putting some heavy duty shocks on. I had them from age 17-21, and had many occasions to test how rollover happy they aren't. I had one going straight sideways on dry pavement at over 40 MPH, (hit an icy patch with 4wd disengaged.) It didn't so much as lift a tire. My opinion on rollovers, from personal experiences where you would think a vehicle would tip, is that you have to be doing something a lot stupider than I ever did, or fall asleep at the wheel and go into a ditch. But it would have to involve very high speeds. My BII's that I had were much better than the 94 Cherokee I replaced the last one with. BII's have a pretty stiff suspension that, coupled with firm shocks, limits body roll on all but the tightest turns. I drove the 89 through some of the winding roads of the ozarks in southeren MO and it handled the 35 MPH curve speed "suggestions" at over 55. Basically, as long as you are responsible, you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-05-2004, 07:33 PM
'87BroncoII
Junior User
i used to have a 93 ranger complete stocker and i got rear ended at about 40 mph ruined my truck the insurance company after a couple of months decided to total it so when i heard that it was time to romp i was doing doughnuts in this dirt feild near my house i showed my little rice burner freinds that my truck drifted better than there cars got up to about 45 slammed the e-brake did a 350 and caught a lump of weeds and rolled over on its side not even all the way over on its roof hooked up the tow rope started it back up and did some more hehehe my first truck we gave it hell jumped it 6 feet a few times put the phrase "built ford tough" to work and it was built tough never broke down on me ever i loved that truk but now i have a 87 BII that is alaways breaking down but is still kicks off road

Old 07-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
http://pcp279849pcs.elkrdg01.md.comc...p/Bronco11.jpg
Rolled mine accidently one month ago..held up pretty good. Now I have another one and i'm back on the trails!

Old 07-14-2004, 08:28 PM
broncobasher
Tuned
I thought I would share my pictures.

Before (after wreck)
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/broncoii.../B2Wrecked.jpg
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/broncoii...reckedRear.jpg

After (repaired)
Ain't it purty now?
http://bellsouthpwp.net/b/r/broncoii...ronco%20II.jpg
New roof, a little paint, new windows, new doors. Good as new, I needed a paint job anyway. I actually drove it home about 15 miles. I had my seatbelt on and the only injuries I had was 2 fingers got cut when the windshielf broke and my leg got cut climbing out of the windshield. Not enough to even worry about. Did a 270, ended up on the drivers side.

BroncoBasher
You guys understand where I got the handle from now?

Old 07-14-2004, 08:40 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
mine rolled 4 times down a hill..NO seatbelt..only bruised my shoulder..drove it back to the parking lot.

Old 07-15-2004, 07:53 PM
broncobasher
Tuned
You must have been 4 wheeling. I swerved to miss a dog and rolled in the road at about 40 mph. I never swerve for animals now. I even had a deer hit me in the quarter panel, only broke the broncoii emblem. I didn't swerve.

Old 07-15-2004, 09:00 PM
Help I M Stuck
Posting Guru
yep..that's what I was doing..4wheeling. Came out of the bottom of one pit to the top of a narrow road where you need to go to the right as you're comming up and the front of the truck kept going up then it came down and grabbed a rut on the other side and took me down for the rollercoaster ride. I actually have video of the roll..kinda neat. That's all I use the BII's for is Offroading. It's a cheap trail beater and I have lots of spare parts to keep me going.

Old 07-16-2004, 01:02 PM
Hell_Fish
Senior User
I drive like an *** sometimes, but have yet to pick one tire off the ground. A good set of shocks (KYB) and good tires inflated correctly goes a long way. All SUVs are top heavy.

Old 07-16-2004, 10:51 PM
rebocardo
Post Fiend
I think they are just as stable as a Wrangler. Any short wheelbase (94 inches) vehicle with a high center of gravity will roll if not handled correctly. The thing is what happens to the roof when it rolls. That is the main weakness of the BII/Ranger, imo, not how they actually handle. That being said, I owned three and like them and they are excellent off-road and for snow plowing. They are a blast in a snowy field.

Old 07-17-2004, 03:55 AM
RomerB2
Postmaster
i've only had by b2 since january of '03 and i've never rolled it, and if anybody, i would be the one to roll it, and about the higher up easier to roll? i dont think so, like everyone has said on here, good shocks and good tires, and you're all good. i have 265 75 15's on mine, and i've had no problems, i think i got it on 3 wheels once maybe it was 2 but i was going 35 and turned a 90 degree turn and that's all that happened it didnt go up high or anything, im about to go with new wheels with wider offset and 33" tires, and physics show that it will make it less likely to roll with a lift. the bronco II's have a wider stance than any other mini-suv during their time and even up to now, that was ford's goal. anyways have fun it wont roll unless you drive without anysence at all

Old 07-23-2004, 02:49 PM
arkain
New User
i've had my 90 BII with gas 4x4 oofraoding shocks for about 5 years and have yet to roll it...i'm 22 now so i got it when i was 17...i'm a crazy New Orleans driver so i swirve all the time...have yet to lift a tire off the ground...course i don't have any life and bridgestone dueler h/t's on the original 15" rims. but i do have 204,000 miles on it (only 80,000 when i got it) so that should tell you something about how much crappy driving i have done

Old 07-31-2004, 05:40 PM
Koji2528
Freshman User
I recall a very close call that could have been a very expensive , if not deadly lesson. I was doing about 55 down a somewhat straight road in my 86 BII and started going through a small turn. I came down this road many times doing the exact same thing and thought it would be fine. But I felt the car start to wobble back and forth. It never actually came off on two wheels. But if I had kept going it would have rolled. I just let off the gas and down shifted into 4th to slow it down a bit and it stopped. When I got it home, I found that my right rear tire was low on air. This might have been the cause of it but im not sure. I aired it up and took it back there and it didn't even shake. Common sense here but be sure to eyeball your tires to make sure none of them look low every once and a while.

Quick Reply: Bronco II's rolloover hazard