Bronco II Ford Bronco II

Bronco II's rolloover hazard

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 08:44 PM
sirkul
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Factory tire size ...uh...29 10.5 15 i think...brain's not wholly operational at the moment. Wrangler apts and no lift. I don't believe in them on the broncos. But. To each his own.

Old 03-24-2004, 09:06 PM
shadower
New User
29 inches were stock on your baby bronco (menaing 2wd)? What year was you small bronco2?

Old 03-24-2004, 11:01 PM
sirkul
New User
1987 4x4. I couldn't remember the tire size at that time. Apparently...I've gone nuts...they're 205 75 15s....Sorry...I'm an idiot. der der der...That's the factory size. But i think mine are 215s....i've been ignoring my tires lately. I hate wranglers. I want bfgs. I love those all terrains....sigh....the money is more than i've got....

Old 03-25-2004, 07:49 AM
shadower
New User
see i need to know is if i put like 29 inch tires on a 2wd 87 will it be dangerous because of being topheavy?

Old 03-25-2004, 11:27 AM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by shadower
see i need to know is if i put like 29 inch tires on a 2wd 87 will it be dangerous because of being topheavy?
29' tires are P235/75/R15. That is what I run on mine and its a 4x4 so its a little higher then yours .The will not make any diffreance in your BII, it should make it better because they are wider.

Old 03-27-2004, 11:34 AM
jakes29
Freshman User
I agree with grayranger. i have an 87 b2 4wd and have been running 235-75-15s for three years and have not had any problems with rollover or anything, except for a few flats (bc they are pretty cheap tires). i am working on that!!!

Old 03-27-2004, 04:03 PM
shadower
New User
but i have a 2wd and the base isn't as large therefor more wait is higher up and it is really topheavy and i want to no what i can do to keep it safe and get bigger tires or would a suspension lift be better?

Old 03-28-2004, 04:43 PM
GrayRanger4x4
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anytime you raise a veh susp,/body lift you make it easery to roll, there anit much you can do to change that.Wide tires, good shocks and DRIVE LIKE YOU GOT SOME GOOD SENSE.

Old 03-29-2004, 06:11 PM
ncranchero
Postmaster

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
OK, my two cents worth. I've bought and fixed probably 8 to 10 BR II's, all but one were rollovers.
The one I have now, a 90, has been driven by my wife for over 100K miles. Now would I have put the wife and kids in something I was worried about rolling over ( I do love my family!)??? The BR II as does most SUV's has a high center of gravity and must be driven like a SUV, not a Porsche! Run off the road...****** it back on...you're on your head!

Old 05-31-2004, 04:23 PM
admiralturbo
Senior User
No big deal

Drive with common sense. A B2,like any taller 4x4 will turtle on you if you drive like an idiot.I have a 76 Suburban and it seems just as easy to roll as the ford.I've crawled along side some steep hills and have never been concerned.Just as tippy as any Jeep,Blazer,Jimmy or big Bronco.At least I think so.

Old 05-31-2004, 07:10 PM
broncobasher
Tuned
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I rolled my 88 Bronco II over in 1996. I was driving about 60 in a 55 on a back road. I swerved to miss a dog. It was on a hill and a curb. I could see my skid marks and figure I was doing about 35 when I lost control When I went to straighten back out, the back left tire got off the road and begin to slide, I oversteered the other way and ended up rolling 270 degrees. Landed on the driver side. Seat belt saved my hide. Cut off the roof and welded a new one, replaced the doors and all windows. She is up and running till this day. I needed a paint job anyway.

Anyway, since then, I never swerve to miss animals. I had a deer run into me in the same BroncoII a couple of years ago. She ended up hitting my quarter panel and the only damage was knocking off my Bronco II emblem, quick trip to the junk yard, problem solved. Never swerve in one of these vehicles unless it is a person or another car. An animals life is not worth yours. I figured, 200 lb deer, 3800 lb truck, don't think a deer can make the vehicle wreck. The only thing that causes the wreck is someone swerving. Drive sensible and don't swerve and you will do fine. Take it from experience.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:04 PM
b2_tim
Senior User
Good post Broncobasher

I have been on two wheels twice, once when I gunned it and turned sharply. It was easy to get her back down. The other time I was avoiding an idiot while doing 55 MPH. I have the same credo about animals, as Brocobasher, except, I honk, flash my lights and then thump thump. I also consider it better to gently avoid cars, but I will square up on a car if I cant avoid him, brake hard and protect myself and family first. I drive very carefully, and obey speed laws and traffice signals. These baby's are tough and any late model car you strike will crumble. I have been struck by a rice burner in the rear, no damage to the mighty B2, total crumple of the RB, I love that steel armor around the gas tank. A cady pulled in front of me and I struck him. It flexed my bumper into my front quarter panel, making a small 1/2" gash. He needed a new bumper.

Now days I use the B2 for off road where the trees seem to have the upper hand, but it is still easy to repair.

Replace the shocks when worn, keep your brakes in top condition, wear your seatbelt, and say a prayer for anyone who pulls out in front of you. Also get to know your vehicle and drive defensivly. I tried to sumarize a few of my thoughts here, but they sound kinda cheezy and disjointed. Oh well. The B2 was designed for superior off road manners, not the race track. Im happy with the design, and wish the lawyers who forced Ford to drop the B2 a swift kick in there arss.

Old 05-31-2004, 11:18 PM
fordborn
Post Fiend

The BII is like any other vehicle with a higher stance. They will rollover but heck if you want you can get any vehicle to roll over. I rolled a go-kart and it has a very low center of gravity. Most rollovers are caused by people going beyond the vehicles abilities. I other words to many people think if it is a 4wd it can do anything. Learn your vehicle and it's limits and you will not have a problem. As for the lawsuits, well a alwyer will take anything and make it into a case and will probably find a jury that doesn't understand 4wd and SUV's and how they should be driven so they will blame the car company. All leads back to the fact that people have to take responcibility for their own actions!!

Old 06-01-2004, 02:32 PM
CherryColaholic
Senior User
Well i hafta agree with just about everyone on here. Ive had mine on two wheels twice on the road. One time this guy walked in front of me like he wanted to get hit.. he yelled at me to slow down as i passed him... well that got me mad so i gunned it hard and went around this corner with a gutter in it... popped it up on two. It settled back down on its own. Other time i raced this guy and beat him.. so im going about 50 coasting back down to the speed limit. Well he comes up and cuts right in front of me almost hitting me, then he slammed on the brakes. Knowing my brakes werent in that great of condition i yanked the wheel. I went across one lane of traffic and brought it back down on the shoulder of the road. That one was a lot scarier. Then of course off road you drive on steep hills and one time my left front tire sunk down in a hole and my right rear tire was about a foot in the air. Anyway enough of my stories... these things are just as safe as anything else, safer than other in a wreck. All you gotta do is not drive like an idiot and know the limits of you vehicle.

Old 06-01-2004, 03:04 PM
Johnboy_BoomerSooner
Elder User
A change in wheel offset can make a big difference too, I ran 15X8 inch aftermarket wheels on mine and they had a deeper offset, let the tires stick out about an inch or two further... I also never ran the little 215 or 225 75's like what came on it, I usually ran 225 60's but I have run some 235 all terrains that were pretty wide too. It just gives it a wider more stable stance. Mine was the floor shift auto trans... My dad left one day and had it in "D"... after a bit he realized it and tried to put it in "OD"... somehow it skipped OD and N and went to "R"... and the trans caught! Anyway we did a skidding 180 on the highway and shoulder and then another when we went off into the grass and never got on 2 wheels... I'm sure if the lead wheels had caught a curb or bump or anything while we were sideways it would have flipped like a pancake, but we were very lucky. I've been inverted in a Dodge P/U once and it's much better being right side up.

Quick Reply: Bronco II's rolloover hazard