Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

351/E4OD Mass Air

Old 03-09-2004, 09:06 PM
InLoveWithGreta
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
351/E4OD Mass Air

Alright, I've been looking over the subject for a few weeks and I can't seem to get a conclusive answer - is there anyone, anywhere out there that makes a kit that will convert a 94 Bronco (351, E4OD) from speed-density to mass air? Whatever I come across is either for the 5.0, for manual transmissions, or so expensive that it seems more sensible to go to a full stand-alone computer that will let me program and thus make use of my otherwise-useless speed density setup. I've checked a few of the informative websites on fuel injection conversion, and determined that I'll either have to buy a kit or do a pretty involved junkyard-style conversion using a computer from a Mustang (don't trust myself re-wiring those pins) or a mythical 94-95 5.8/E4OD MAF computer. Seems to me that it's either the kit to convert or a totally new computer system that can tune speed-density. I guess what I'm asking is whether or not any of you Bronco-Gods can throw me some wisdom down from the mountain on what the best way to do this would be.

Old 03-09-2004, 09:41 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Try Pro-Flow/Pro-M Racing at http://pro-flow.com/
I have one of their kits installed into my '90 with 5.8L and E4OD tranny. Yes the kit was a little pricey, but well worth it. Lots more power. and the tranny shifts alot firmer, too.

Also, even though you may not like to do any rewiring, you could find a '95 or '96 Bronco from a wrecking yard and pull all the wiring, Mass air meter and computer. And you may not have to rewire the 60 pin cmputer wiring connector. But still time consuming.

Hope this helps.
If you have any questions you could email me

Old 03-09-2004, 10:25 PM
Kingersj
Junior User
I thought I saw the exact kit you were looking for on Jegs, but I could be wrong.

Old 03-09-2004, 10:32 PM
InLoveWithGreta
Senior User
First, thanks for the info. However, where on their site can I find that kit? All I can seem to locate are non-E4OD kits, and the links to them don't seem to work. Is there a specific page I can look for, or some tip on navigating the site that I don't know?

Old 03-09-2004, 10:39 PM
Kingersj
Junior User
Old 03-10-2004, 01:47 AM
Kemicalburns
Hotshot
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
check out www.fordfuelinjection.com and contact ryan, he probably can build what you need for alot less and does great work.

late

Old 03-10-2004, 03:38 PM
InLoveWithGreta
Senior User
Well, the Jegs link is for the 5.0 and I've got the 5.8, and that's the problem that I'm having. I can't seem to find what I'm looking for on the Pro-Flow website...it's a bit hard to navigate. Thanks for the info, all of you, and I'll be checking into e-mailing someone from fordfuelinjection.com. Now I've got a second question...

In looking through some posts here and there and looking over websites, I've noticed people doing something that doesn't quite make sense to me (although since I am an idiot at times, this could be normal ) - they're modifying the speed-density setups without changing the computer. From what I understand (and I could be wrong) the SD computers work from a set of pre-established constants regarding air/fuel ratios, and if you change something from the constant, you severely screw up your power potential...yet I'm seeing throttle bodies, intakes, heads and especially cams being changed over. How is this being done without the computer being able to sense the change in the airflow?? It seems to me that if I were to add - for example - a larger throttle body and a cam, I would be increasing the amount of air going into my engine and the computer (working from a pre-set value) wouldn't know this. So, does the speed-density system have some adaptability that I don't know about?? What's with the lobe separation on the cams being kept above 114 degrees? To what extent can I modify the SD system? What I'm going for is a very mild build-up...more air in, more air out kind of thing. I know the heads on the 351 are notorious for being the stopping block in the engine's potential, and the reason I'm looking at MAF is to be able to "un-cork" the engine as a whole.

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Old 03-13-2004, 12:00 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
On the MAF conversion kit from Pro-M, they have change their web sight since when I had purchased my kit from them
Here are a few links to the MAF conversion kit I purchased from Po-M Racing:

The installation Instructions
http://pro-flow.com/Instructions/lightning%20truck.htm

Pricing
http://pro-flow.com/Price%20Dealer%2...0Harnesses.htm
the Lightning Truck (E40D) Mass-Air conversion Harness

and
http://pro-flow.com/Price%20Dealer%2...celist2004.htm

As far the accual kit is considered, you may have to call them up just to make sure which kit will fit.

Old 03-13-2004, 12:35 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
From what i have heard you can get the 351 e4od lightening conversion kit from ford and it will fit a bronco. I'm not 100% sure though. If i can get it confirmed I would buy one myself

http://www.performancefordparts.com/...&PartName=Ford Racing 'Mass Air' Conversion Kit (E40D 1993-95 5.8L Lightening only)&PartNumber=M-9000-L58

here is the full listing. I noticed that description says its for 5.0s but they use the same description for all of them

http://www.performancefordparts.com...nversion%20Kits

Old 03-13-2004, 01:00 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
I have accualy called Ford Racing up about their kit before I purchased the one I have now. They said it wouldn't work on my rig. And I could not get to tell my why, no matter how many times & ways I asked them.

There is a note in that posting site that says that it can't be sold on pollution controlled vehicles

Old 03-13-2004, 01:25 PM
NJbronco138
Senior User
yeah, maybe I'll check with the fordfuelinjection.com admin he would probably know. I dont' know why it won't, but i would want to be sure before i forked out 1000 bucks. I mean when I called pro flow and asked for a brocno setup he told me it would be there lightening set up. I am thinking when i do get it, it will probably be from them since they know if will fit, the only thing is i really would like it to only be one computer. I don't understand why they can't make it one computer.

Old 03-13-2004, 03:55 PM
InLoveWithGreta
Senior User
yeah, everything i see seems to be a jumper harness or the twin-computer setup...and two computers are just a recipe for something else to get broken. i sent an email to the administrator at fordfuelinjection.com, but haven't heard back yet. it seems like the easiest solution is just the proper mass-air computer, and any sort of Ford mass-air system that i want to run. i've got a friend who's holding on to a nice MAF setup for me (throttle body, MA meter, injectors, fuel rails, wiring, upper and lower intakes, etc)...the problem is the computer. i'd have to do all that re-wiring on anything except a 5.8, E4OD computer. i suppose if nothing else, i can see what the kits do...

Tite4x4, you said you purchased a kit from them? you've got the same setup that i do, so how is that kit working out for you? any problems so far?

Old 03-14-2004, 10:13 PM
tite4x4
Senior User
Hey InLoveWithGreta
I tried to email you back through the board, like you did with me, but aparrently,you haven't specified not to receive emails through the board. No big deal though.

But any ways about the kit. I tried to post this last night but it seemed that there was a problem with the whole forum last night.
I love the kit. It has been one of the few best mods that I've done, so far. Iknow that the concept of two computers is very acward, but that is what I now have. I, also, now have two O2 sensors. The kit provided the second sensor and two bungs, which I had to have welded into the exhaust pipes just below both headers.

Once the kit was completely installed, I noticed a whole lot more power. And the tranny shifts alot firmer too. There have been times when I step on it, that I end up having to pick my head out of the back seat.

The only problem I have now is just keeping my lead foot off the throttle. Especially now that the gas is above two bucks. X's that by 32 gallons

I have been trying to find this same kit that I purchased from Pro-M Racing on there web site, but they have changed their site since the time I purchase this kit. You might have to call them up to get all the more specifics that you need. From my own experience with them, their customer service and tech guys were very helpfull. No matter how many times I called them. I had no problems at all.

Hope this helps. Keep asking away if you need any more help

Old 03-14-2004, 11:25 PM
InLoveWithGreta
Senior User
thanks for the info, Tite. i think i can get e-mails through the board now...had to change a couple of things. i listed another thread on speed density vs. mass-air, in which i detailed a very interesting viewpoint from the guy at fordfuelinjection.com. he says don't convert, but i'm not convinced quite yet. hopefully, Pro-M will be able to tell me something one way or another. that seems to be my best bet so far.