General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Walmart

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2004, 11:06 PM
X-1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Walmart

Heres a topic to fire up. Stay away from your walmart. Why, well several reasons. Everytime the open a super walmart local businesses suffer. They pay their employees less which lowers the local wages, and by buying bulk junk from over seas they are helping to eliminate american jobs. So next time you are in your local walmart, think about the people thru out the u.s. that have suffered because of the greed of one company. Sam Walton would be turning over in his grave.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:00 AM
MrOldV8
Elder User
Very true. I DO try to stay away from them.

Old 03-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Bigsilver95
Posting Guru
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts
not much of a choice where i live, only store for 30 miles, unless you are shopping for groceries

Old 03-01-2004, 02:07 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
I agree iwth the gist of the message, though it is semi-misguided, but I bet Wal-Mart is welcomed into communitites more often than not!

Even Home Depot, which puts mom-and-pop types out of business has to ask for approval into a community...they don't just say "Here we are, deal with us paving over your dirt!"

As for the employess not being paid as well as others.....FIND A JOB THAT PAYS OR GAIN BETTER SKILLS TO FIND A BETTER PAYING JOB!

Jobs that make cheap crap we all like left a long time ago.....why should Wal-Mart not be enlisted to sell the products from said companies that produce cheap crap???

I'll repeat this AGAIN: Manufacturing jobs are leaving from EVERY CIVILIZED COUNTRY ON EARTH!

Wal-Mart is the biggest employer--or close to that--in the US if not the world. Evidently, someone is being hired on to work there that would not have a job otherwise.

Being a former biz owner myself, I invite you to look both sides of the coin.

Old 03-01-2004, 04:50 AM
CowboyBilly9Mile
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 03-01-2004, 07:18 AM
jeffthompson
Elder User
Hate Wal-Mart if you want.

I'll still shop there, I like low prices.

Old 03-01-2004, 09:56 AM
sinjin
Posting Guru
me too! It ain't Sam's fault if you have to work for him. Stay in school. As far as protecting our "sweat shops" and other mindless factory jobs so our children can work there- gimme a break. Why shed a tear for ma and pa? Did we cry for the blacksmiths and horse ranchers that automobiles put out of business? Grow or die.

Last edited by sinjin; 03-01-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 03-01-2004, 10:52 AM
georgedavila
Postmaster
They'll double their US size by 2007, with traditional grocery and drug stores providing a majority of the increased market share. They also have plans to add upgraded merchandise.

That's one of the reasons West Coast grocery chains held out against union demands for employer paid benefits, to allow them to implement the same policies nationwide and better compete with Walmart. Their (grocery chain) wages, at an average of $15/hr are still way out of line, so that'll have to be adjusted to keep them in the game.

Constant growth is required for any capitalistic endeavor to survive or inflation of operating overheads will eat it to death.

Old 03-01-2004, 11:17 AM
christaylor
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My parents are therapist and they ell me that Walmart has the best employee insurance coverage around. And flexible time off for working parents. So all is not bad at Wal-mart.

Chris

Old 03-01-2004, 12:08 PM
rbohm
Senior User
i have had this argument before;
1: walmart usually helps local economies because even though mom and pops do go out of business, usually something like 50 or so employees lose their jobs, but walmart usually employs 300, thus you get an increase in jobs.
2: it has been said that in some places walmart doesnt use local contractors to build the store, but that is a rediculous argument because most small communities dont have large enough builders to build a walmart, and still make deadlines on jobs they already have going. thus outside contractors are needed. the out side contractors cannot bring full crews in and house them, so they subcontract to the local contractors to get the job done.

and dont forget that walmart started as a mom and pop store, and grew because sam walton got people to shop in his store, and took chances on expansion that obviously paid off.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:49 PM
X-1
Senior User
Don't get me wrong, I have a great job, and have several employees that came from walmart, it is a company that does not look to share markets, but to destroy them, as they grow I am waiting for them to implode, self destruct. Here they are the grocer, general merchandise, gas station, banking, etc. So yes they create jobs, but pay less than the competitor they bumped off, health insurance, they lead the industry, and as a leader my company is following suit, so my health care went up, benefits went down, still better than average. Just hate to see one company affect a local economy so much, when competition is removed they can dictate pay scales at a lower rate.

Old 03-01-2004, 12:58 PM
02PSD4ME
Posting Guru
Wal-Mart is GREAT!... Wal-Mart is GOOD!

Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Here is another Wal-Mart related thread we have.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/s...%25252Bwalmart

Old 03-01-2004, 02:21 PM
jeffthompson
Elder User
Originally posted by christaylor
My parents are therapist and they ell me that Walmart has the best employee insurance coverage around. And flexible time off for working parents. So all is not bad at Wal-mart.

Chris
Ssshhhhh!

We don't want the truth to get out during this smear Walmart campaign.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:23 PM
Traxxis
Postmaster
Brings in alotta tax revenue

Quick Reply: Walmart