Oil & Lubrication  

Mobile 1 Worth the money?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 11:09 AM
haulingboat
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mobile 1 Worth the money?

I believe it is. I have been using it in all my vehicles for 3 or 4 years now. South Texas heat in the summer is the main reason I like to use it. It comforts me to know that the oil will not brewak down.

Any thoughts?

Old 02-19-2004, 03:35 PM
superrangerman2002
Logistics Pro
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I think that it would be best to take a tour of the Oil and Lubrication Forum on this site.

You'll find mountains of posts on Mobil 1.

Oil talk is almost as bad as discussing Politics and Religion....

Old 02-19-2004, 03:47 PM
Big Orn
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by superrangerman2002
Oil talk is almost as bad as discussing Politics and Religion....
Or ESOF or Manual shift!!

Old 02-19-2004, 03:56 PM
carpe_diem
Fleet Mechanic
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
In tranny and differential, it is surely is.

In engine? Maybe.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:10 PM
dhermesc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If your running your engine hard - towing or operating in high heat enviroment Mobile 1 is worth it. Otherwise just keep the oil changed at 3K and go. Seems like most engines made since about 1990 outlast the car - the electronic systems and the rest of the car die first.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:23 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I use it.I don't mind paying a little more ,I feel it's worth it.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:32 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
which version of mobil 1 are you using? both the synthetic and dino versions are great, I don't know about the part synthetic.

Old 02-19-2004, 06:44 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I use the sythetic.It seems to work better for cold starts in my truck.I don't get the noisy lifter syndrom.

Old 02-19-2004, 07:54 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
Saying that Mobil One prroducts are worth the money is a far too general of a statement. It would be like saying that Ford makes the safest cars. Would you want to be rearended in a Pinto or a Crown Victoria? If so, I'll watch from a distance. Some of the M1 products are great, some are not so great. The 5w-30 is great, the 0w-20 is not so great as it typically is beat in UOA's by blends everyday. Delvac 1 is great and is most likely the best PAO basestock synthetic on the market today including any boutique oil you would like to mention. Is it worth more? Depends on what you are buying.

Old 02-19-2004, 10:45 PM
rusty70f100
Post Fiend
I personally dont think it's worth it for the money they want for it, or for any average (sane) normal user offers any measurable advantage. But I'll stop now before I open another can of worms.

Old 02-20-2004, 07:02 AM
gregb
Freshman User
Flash, from some of your posts I've noticed that you are impressed with Delvac 1, except that it is expensive. I've looked for it at my local Wally World with no success, do you have any suggestions at to where I might find it? Also, what would be the typical price that I might pay once I'm able to track it down? Thanks.

Old 02-20-2004, 09:36 AM
Commo
Senior User
Since the question begs for an opinion I will give mine.

Yes.

Can I confirm it with facts. No. Ask me in about 100K miles.

The bike had a very noticable clatter before I went to the
synthetic. Now the clatter is gone.

I use the synthetic. Why mix syn with dino?

Roland

Old 02-20-2004, 11:21 AM
jim henderson
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Everything is relative and sometimes religious.

I have used Mobil 1 since 1980 and never had a problem. Previously I used dino(Valvoline) and also never had a problem, so I can't say with firm personal proof that Mobil 1 is worth the money, but it has never failed me even under extremes.

From marketing, magazines and websites I would say if you drive under temperature extremes, heavy loads, high performance or long drain intervals, a synthtetic may be worthwhile for you.

To me the psychological safety blanket of knowing I have more performance in oil than I might need is worth the extra cost. Plus I change at 5K to 7.5K intervals rather than the "recommended" 3K for dino.

I will say that many of the newer generation dinos look to be quite excellent and very synthetic like in performance. I have also read some articles that lead me to believe that many of the current syntehtics, including Mobil1 and Valvoline syn are really just dino hydro processed to almost syn performance with a little real syn added to handle the low temp issues.

I recently looked up the Mobil 1 and Valvoline syn webpages and none of them out right state that their syn is the "real" pure PAO or Ester syn of years gone by. They taked about "unconventional high performance base oils", in my interpretation this means they are using the cheaper hydro processed dinos with a little PAO added for low temps and calling them synthetic and charging a syn price.

There is a lot of argument among purists whether hydo dino really is syn. I am waffling here myself. If the hydro dino acts like syn and performs like syn, is it really syn and does it matter? I think where I waffle is that the hydro syns should cost less than "real" syn but some of the oils called "real" syn charge "real" syn prices even if they are really mostly hydro.

Buying oil today is good and bad. Do you really get the real thing? Does it really matter? In anycase almost any name brand is excellent stuff whether it is "real" syn, hydro or plain old dino.

As for me, at least for now I will probably keep using Mobil 1 in my car(just because), Valvoline syn in my 460(always loved Valvoline and now that they have syn, well) and Havoline syn(I think this is Chevron syn) in the wife's car since it is cheap. I use syn now mostly for religious reasons.

I might break down and switch to the Chevron or Rotella hydro dino syns since they appear to be excellent oils and low cost.

Just my opinion,

Jim Henderson

Old 02-20-2004, 08:45 PM
Flash
Posting Guru
gregb, if you can't find Delvac 1 around in your area, look for the nearest CAT dealer. The CAT Synthetic is the same oil with a tracer element for analysis differential. If CAT likes it, it has to be good. Most of the CAT dealers will sell it in bulk so ask if you call them and be prepared to take some 1 or 5 gallon containers with you. It's really the best way to buy it.

Old 02-21-2004, 08:03 AM
seldont
Junior User
I use it in my wife's Explorer. 2000 Eddie Bauer 5.0. Now has 113,000 miles. Uses no oil between changes and still has excellent UOAs. I change it at 6,000 miles.

Quick Reply: Mobile 1 Worth the money?