Sponsored by:

Last resort: fuel line filter coupler spring

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2004, 05:05 PM
k4uwc
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Last resort: fuel line filter coupler spring

Does any one have recommendations on how to remove an absolutely, positively stubborn fuel line from the fuel filter? I have a 1996 Bronco 5.8 XL. I have 2 sets of tools (metal scissor and plastic) and I absolutely cannot get one of the lines off the filter. The other line comes off effortlessly. I have used rust penetrant with no luck. I've pushed, pulled, turned, rotated and cannot get it off.

I have read just about every post about fuel filters and most people want to know about the tool and where to get it but I don't see many that addressed the worst case scenario of what to do if the tool doesn't get the line off.

I am hesitant to cut the fuel filter off and try to access the internal spring that way as the vehicle will be undriveable at that point.

Does anyone know what causes the spring to lock and not compress when the special tool is inserted?

Thanks for any input you can provide.

Marshall
Lexington, KY

Old 02-15-2004, 05:10 PM
Black Ford XLT
Fleet Mechanic
Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts
Fuel filter

Ok marshall, ive had trouble also with the filter it self ,seems everytime i replace it using the tool the rear side hangs up.I cut thefuel filter stem as close to the filter as possible(fuel fliter) not the fuel lineand usually get results working wiggling it from there Hope this helps TR

Old 02-15-2004, 05:21 PM
k4uwc
Freshman User
TR,

What did you find when you looked inside the fuel line on the one that you had to cut off? I'm curious what the mechanism why the spring won't decompress and come off. Rust? Deformed from prior attempts?

Did you have to replace the internal spring? I'd be afraid that even after wrestling the filter inlet out that the next time it came to replace the filter that the internal spring would still be damaged and wouldn't allow for a proper release of the filter from the line.

Does anyone have a P/N to order if I need to replace the springs (assuming I can dislodge the filter from the fuel line)?

Thanks,

Marshall

PS - it is also the rear side that is hanging up on mine

Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 AM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
The springlock repair kits are readily available; try Napa for them. I'm not sure what, besides a deformed spring or fitting, would prevent the tool from releasing it.

One of the quick-connect fittings on my fuel rail absolutely sucks to remove, but I've had to do it many times in the last year. Try this: push the filter towards the line, push the tool towards the line, and pull the filter while keeping lots of pressure on the tool. Use somewhat excessive force; it works for me on the fuel rail.

Old 03-14-2004, 05:55 PM
k4uwc
Freshman User
Hey all...

I know this is an old topic but I thought I'd post my status to see if I can get any more opinions on a stubborn filter fuel line.

Recap... one side of my '96 Bronco's fuel line coupling is locked on the filter input. The filter's output coupling comes off without a problem.

I bought another set of fuel line disconnect tools and I pulled, rotated, pushed, wiggled, sprayed it with WD40, etc and absolutely, positively cannot get it off.

Any recommendations on how to cut off the filter and pry the filter inlet out of the coupling without doing damage to the fuel line that leads to the rear of the truck? I hate to wrecklessly go and yank on it and then permanently damage the fuel line and then be faced with a $200+ repair and a week or more of not being able to drive the truck.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Marshall
Lexington, KY

Old 03-15-2004, 05:24 AM
bigric
Fleet Mechanic
I've cut a filter and removed the inlet before, but I used the springlock tool to get it out. To do what you're suggesting would be pretty hard I think; you'd have to cut the filter off (I did it with dykes) and then crush the inlet smaller than the spring, which has got to be challenging.