Removing transmission

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:43 PM
equin
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Removing transmission

Hey Amigos,

I am in the process of removing the AOD transmission out of my 86 Bronco (302) to get it rebuilt and beefed up. Last night I pulled the t-case (BW 1345) using a transmission jack adaptor and noticed that I did not have the truck jacked up high enough on jack stands to slide it out from underneath with the jack. With some fenagling I managed to do it, but the experience got me thinking about the transmission, a much bigger and heavier unit.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how the heck do I slide the transmission out from underneath when I get to the point of separating it from the engine and lowering it on the jack (with the tranny jack adaptor)? Do you guys use a special jack and jackstands to get the truck high enough up in the air so it'll slide it from underneath without the frame rails blocking it? It seems like when I jack the rear of the truck as high as the jack will go and place jackstands under each side of the rear axle, the leaf springs compress somewhat, not allowing the rear to go up as high as I'd like. The front is similar. The frame rails are set somewhat higher than the axles, and when I try to jack it up by the frame rails, it's still not getting up high enough. I have two jacks that are rated at 3 tons each. One has a lifting range of 19" (the one I use for the tranny jack adaptor), and the other has a lifting range of 21". The jackstands I have are rated at 6 tons and have a maximum lifting range of 24". I have 4 of them.

Do I need to buy a new jack and jackstands? The ones I bought had the highest lifting range available at the parts store. If I need to get bigger ones, where can I buy them? Or, is there some other safe points I can place the jack and jack stands under to lift it high enough that I may not know about?

The truck is currently immovable sitting in my driveway. I could always call a tow truck and have it towed to the tranny shop, but I was hoping to save some money by pulling the tranny myself, and then take it to the tranny shop.

Thanks for any tips, warnings, advice and info.

Ed Q.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:56 PM
norcalseahawkfan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got done with my 94 F250 E4OD, I used a bottle jack and 4 jack stands. My jack stands were not tall enought so i used blocks to get the jack stands higher. I have a tranny jack (bought it on ebay for $75.00) I love that jack. I also have a few old mustang projects so i needed the tranny jack. Just be careful when you are going up. I lift one corner at a time to the top of the jack stands, Then I go around again and then put the block under the stands one corner at a time. It takes me about 1 hour to get the truck or car as high as I want it.
Good luck
Be careful