General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

OK, I may have a problem...

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2004, 12:45 AM
TommyLee
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OK, I may have a problem...

Honestly, I am not a political person. I never considered myself Democrat or Republican because I was never informed enough to make that decision. Well, I'm starting to pay more attention to things as I grow older and I noticed a couple of things. Last night while my fiance and I were going to dinner we noticed a homeless man panhandleing. I just sat there and waited for the light and my girlfriend started looking through her purse for change. I said "Don't give him money." but she insisted and we gave the man a dollar. Tonight we were in Starbucks and there was a guy that couldn't make up his mind and kept asking the prices for different small items. My girlfriend says "I don't think he has enough money.", and then stated "I don't mind helping him out." I told her not to pay for him.

I think it is clear that she is a Democrat and I am obviously a Republican. I wonder if this is going to cause problems after we are married. What do you think?

Old 02-08-2004, 12:52 AM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
it will only cause problems if you let it, it's one of those things you guys will have to figure out how to agree to diagree.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:12 AM
jcreality
Senior User
LOL....... WHAT????!!

okay....I'm on the floor laughing. Because she has GENEROSITY (albeit some maybe a bit naive), you conclude: "it is clear that she is a Democrat..." ?

My word bro......you don't get out enough if that is your reasoning! I'm sure there's much spin to come of these comments, but jeez.....WHERE the heck did THAT come from?!

*still laughing*

Now, the part that can be difficult is your mutual reasoning as to how to handle monetary issues. Most collapses in relationships have 'something' to do with administering money, spending money, or having no money. I suggest you talk at length with her about how you each feel about humanitarian issues, and respective plans of how each of you intend to 'share' with others what you earn and have been granted.
Nuthin' like communication.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:30 AM
AlfredB1979
Posting Guru
Re: OK, I may have a problem...

edited for masked profanity.

THIS WILL NOT BE TOLERATED

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 02-08-2004 at 07:22 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 01:52 AM
TommyLee
Senior User
Originally posted by jcreality
LOL....... WHAT????!!

okay....I'm on the floor laughing. Because she has GENEROSITY (albeit some maybe a bit naive), you conclude: "it is clear that she is a Democrat..." ?

My word bro......you don't get out enough if that is your reasoning! I'm sure there's much spin to come of these comments, but jeez.....WHERE the heck did THAT come from?!

*still laughing*

OK "Bro", instead of just flaming me, please grace me with your definition of a Democrat and a Republican. What I was getting at, is that if she is constantly willing to give a helping hand to the less fortunate, then she must be a Democrat.

Seriously, if it was that funny to you then maybe you don't get out enough... just a thought.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:05 AM
TommyLee
Senior User
Re: Re: OK, I may have a problem...

edited for removal of flame

Last edited by Ryan50hrl; 02-08-2004 at 07:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2004, 02:32 AM
kopfenjager
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
way to go.

Old 02-08-2004, 02:35 AM
jcreality
Senior User
You're right TL...

you don't need my advice either.

Sorry you took it as a flame......I yet don't see your conclusions of willingness of a helping hand, but you are satisfied enough without my input. Much I could say, but I don't like to open cans-o-worms like this...

Just hope the two of you figure out where you stand, and decide how you shall cope with it for the best for you as a couple and as individuals.

(one thing, when I'm able to laugh at myself a li'l more, I find that stuff doesn't hurt as easily...but that's just me yappin', cuz I remember I wasn't going to advise.)

Old 02-08-2004, 02:44 AM
TommyLee
Senior User
Re: You're right TL...

Originally posted by jcreality

(one thing, when I'm able to laugh at myself a li'l more, I find that stuff doesn't hurt as easily...but that's just me yappin', cuz I remember I wasn't going to advise.)
You're right. Maybe I should laugh at myself more. Maybe I misunderstood why you thought it was so humurous. Sorry...

So as I stated in the beginning of this thread. I'm not a political person. I do know that there are different degrees of Domocrat and Republican. I assume that you disagree that generosity is a sign of a Democrat. So what is your definition of Democrat and Republican?

Old 02-08-2004, 02:59 AM
grapegravy
Elder User
My description of a either a Democrat or a Republican is the same for both. Someone that defines theirselves by what a "Party" says is right or wrong. I personally ascribe to neither, I agree with points on both sides. It isn't the party I follow, it's the person leading the rest that gets my vote. I make my ballot selection based on overall stance on the issues at hand, not on what "party" they wear a lampshade at.

Seems to me, TommyLee, you may have found the perfect match. Someone who shows you a different way of thinking while still gaining your respect is invaluable. Only you can make the choice of whether you can or cannot handle the differences,,, but think long and hard about it first. Congrats either way on having someone in your life that Complements you, rather than walks a pace behind.

Old 02-08-2004, 03:27 AM
jcreality
Senior User
Very well put, gravy.
And TL, thanx for stepping back and realizing I wasn't trying to put you down.
I just know that I tend to *lean* more to the side of typical Republican thought, and find myself to be both generous, and frugal. Go figure, eh?
I see Democrats tending to give hand OUTS to people in need as far as a lot of societal systems. (my thought on that is hand-outs are fine, so long as the people recieving them know how to ACT when a hand UP is offered.) I also see a Republican President whom atleast *claims* to helping an oppressed people in other areas, for various reasons. And thus the reason of my previous hesitancy to avoid the spin that'll come of such comments.

I'm not even going to take this further, because the parties, I don't believe, are so-easily defined. I don't base my stances in life, nor my pursuits or identity with something (i.e. political parties, religious groups, etc) created by man. I'll let the others who think to define something larger then themselves, argue about that.

But again......very well said gravy, and TL, I wish you the best in understanding the core of your needs within this relationship and that you can also compliment her.