1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Classic restoration

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 09:36 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Classic restoration

I'll be restoring my truck this spring.As i do the restoration,I was wondering if I upgraded things like the drum brakes to disk,add power steering,dual exaust,things of that nature,would that add resale value instead of making it a desirable classic?Would I be better off keeping it orignal or adding personal touches to it?Just a thought if I ever wanted to sell the truck in the future.Thanks.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:56 PM
jeffh
Elder User
Hmm, I don't think it would make much of a difference either way. I mean, unless you're doing a full-bore custom job then I think the value would be less than $10k. Thumbing through the latest Hemmings book should give you an idea.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:15 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Thanks.I just don't want to do more damage than good by changing a lot of stuff around that might not be appreciated by someone looking for an older truck.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:34 PM
Fat Fendered Ford
Elder User
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
As long as the changes aren't irreversible I don't think it would affect the value much either way. If you make a lot of changes and decide to sell someday, you'll need to find a buyer that shares your vision of a classic truck.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:53 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
The thought run through my head when I saw a few threads about changing orignal parts for aftermarket updates.Some of the changes seemed like a good idea ,but the cost might be more for the parts and labor than i would ever get back out of the resale of the truck.Just hashing over some ideas before i get down to actually starting the restoration.I don't know how a lot of the systems work on the old truck yet,but i know i'll have to take a lot of things like the brakes and suspension parts apart to clean and regrease everything.Orignal parts seem to be hard to get locally.I can order a lot of parts online,but you guys know what those prices are like.thanks.

Old 02-07-2004, 05:53 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
John,

As far as resale value goes, it seems that the mildly modified cars and trucks bring higher prices than the stock ones. I think that may be because there are more buyers out there for modified trucks these days than stock ones. I think power steering, disc brakes, and dual exhaust is something 90% of people looking for an old truck would want, provided their intent was to drive it regularly. If you are just going to park it in the garage and take it out two or three times a year for shows, then that's another matter...

Old 02-07-2004, 08:46 AM
57_ford
Elder User
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Their is some things to be said for a unmolested truck. As for resale it depends on the buyer. I would not pay much for something that has been hacked and cut altered their is to many things that are unknown. Some upgrades are good safety things like seat belts. And new break lines. Modern tires is a great improvment. Also higher gear ratio and dual exhaust are things that might help as well. Its your truck do what makes you happy with it.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:27 AM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Thanks for the responces guys.I'm new to this restoration process,so I didn't know what modifications would help or hurt .Being unfamiliar with classic truck markets ,I was looking at the resale value of the truck if I started working on it only to find I was into something that was beyond my capabilities of doing the work myself.I really like the old truck,but I'd rather see someone restore it properly vs. me ruining the project for someone else,if you know what I mean.The truck has a lot of potential,but it involves a lot of body work.I can see that a newbie like me could really mess things up.lol.After discussing it here I guess I'll just keep it orignal and enjoy the orignal design.I see there are a lot of tech articles here on bodywork so i better dust off the old printer.Thanks.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:54 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
John,

I'll quote you -

"The thought run through my head when I saw a few threads about changing orignal parts for aftermarket updates.Some of the changes seemed like a good idea ,but the cost might be more for the parts and labor than i would ever get back out of the resale of the truck.Just hashing over some ideas before i get down to actually starting the restoration."

The portion of your statement that scares me is - ..."but the cost might be more for the parts and labour than I would ever get back out of the resale of the truck..."

I can almost quarantee you that regardless of whether you go stock restoration or mild/wid rod - you will never get the money out of your truck what you put into it. It's a hobby. All hobbies involve spending some amount of money for little or no concrete or tangible end result. I may not have worded that very well but I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.

I would be very surprised if anyone in here can honestly say they sold a previous restoration or rod for more money than what they had in it and let's not even talk their labour (even valued at $1.00 per hour).

It's a hobby - enjoy it and don't sweat the investment aspects of it.

(sermon over)

Later,

Last edited by ferguson777; 02-07-2004 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-07-2004, 06:57 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Point well taken.thank you.

Old 02-09-2004, 03:48 AM
Col Flashman
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
F.F.

Pretty much of what I'd state has already been covered, so w/ that in mind.
There are more & more N.O.S. & Repro parts becoming available for our Orphan Years trucks, '57-'60, so investing in the Options that should have been installed is always a good thing.
Now my question is this, Why would you ever contimplate selling such a Beauty in the first place?
If you wish to chortle a bit, check out My Gallery, the Paint Jobs are Indentical!

Old 02-09-2004, 11:42 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
RMF is right. Once you start spending money to modify/restore the truck it's just about unheard of to be able to get it back when you sell it. The guy I bought my 54 had over 10K in the truck when he sold it to me for $4400. I recently heard that the killer silver 56 show truck that was on the cover of Classic Truck Magazine last year was recently sold at auction. The story goes that Tim Allen is the new owner. He got it for 55K. The owner had previously turned down an offer of 105K because it was less than he had in it. Also, John, how do you rate GURU status when it says you only registered last December?? Is Kenny your brother? Come on, you can tell us. We won't spread it around. Good luck, John

Old 02-09-2004, 05:42 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I guess my outlook on the restoration is that I know I'm looking at at least 2 years of working on this truck.I'm learning as I go .I'v never done this type of work to any vechicle I'v owned.I fell in love with the old truck the minute i laid eyes on it.I don't have a big budget to work with,but I have most of the tools I need,and the truck was given to me so I don't have a lot into it yet.The price of the parts I need to do it right are very expensive,such as a grill,grill apron,some of the side glass is fogged up,body trim,floor panels,and floor panel in the bed needs to be replaced.I guess I'm being a little over cautious before jumping into the restoration.As for being a guru,lol,I talk too much.I just thought I'd get to know some of the folks I would be talking to about my truck.I'v only used a computer for 2 months,and find it fasinating.The cold weather keeps me inside this time of year.lol.Thanks for the reply guys.

Old 02-10-2004, 12:18 PM
Midnite Cruiser
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I might suggest finding a parts truck as a way to avoid mail ordering an entire vehicle. I was lucky enough to find a $400 '55 complimentary to my truck in almost every way:
mine had a great body- beat drivetrain- partruck rusted to death, but low mileage.

I cant tell you how many times I've either saved $ or time (mostly both) going out back to get that screw, clip, firewall piece, bracket, whatever.
You can hide one out of site until its a only a husk to take away (guys beleive me it is rusted to death!)

Old 02-10-2004, 05:01 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Parts trucks around here are scarce as hens teeth.lol.I'v been talking to some guys in Canada that might be able to find one.They crushed just about all the old vechicles around here the past few years.If I could fine one it would be well worth it I'm sure.They want around $70 just for a hood emblem.The price of parts is scary.As soon as the snow goes I'm going to hit all the the back field roads and crossroads to see if I can find one. Thanks.