General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

What Happened?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 07:08 PM
dono
Gone but not forgotten.
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
What Happened?

My hard drive went belly up and I was down for 3 days. Came back to find Pig Pen down. Were you guys naughty while I was away? Hope it is just a temp thing, I would really miss that forum.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:10 PM
sinjin
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe not.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:37 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My computer is in the E.R.. I came back to find the same thing.I think I know what happened,I just don't know permanent it is.I think it's a matter of a few messing it up for the rest of us.It was getting bad though.Something had to be done.I think Ken did the right thing.I just hope it can be resolved.

Old 02-04-2004, 07:40 PM
otto
Posting Guru
The politics in there are as dirty as Chicagos finest mayor Dick Daley and his mob run hired truck scandal, fresh off former Illinois governor George Ryans "CDL License For Sale" scandal

Mob politics are so dirty

Its still open for viewing isnt it ?

Old 02-04-2004, 07:42 PM
couleeman
Posting Guru
Maybe some good will come from it being close for a while. If it does open up again, hopefully people will think twice about thier post before submitting them in fear of the Pig Pen being gone forever.

Yes you can still view it

Old 02-04-2004, 08:00 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
The pig pen was closed due to abuse, and the fact that it has nothing to do with Ford Trucks, it was atracting fringe members, that were abusing the forums, and they have nothing to lose, they will simply move on and attempt to destroy other forums. This is my opinion.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:06 PM
fordman428
Posting Guru
i noticed there were a lot of flame wars in the pig pen and your right it doesnt have anything to do with ford trucks.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:21 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
I agree that the actions of a few probably spoiled it for the masses. Politics and religion are deep subjects that stir emotional responses. I think the Pig Pen adds an additional dimension to this forum that can't be substituted with "General Discussion". I for one, hope it gets re-opened.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:26 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Mattsbox99
The pig pen was closed due to abuse, and the fact that it has nothing to do with Ford Trucks, it was atracting fringe members, that were abusing the forums, and they have nothing to lose, they will simply move on and attempt to destroy other forums. This is my opinion.
Matt, you make a good point. However, 95% of the posts in "GC" have nothing to do with Ford trucks either. Maybe a poster should be required to have, say, "50" posts before he/she is allowed to enter the Pig Pen. Don't you need 25 posts for your e-mail to work? That might filter out the drive by posters.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:36 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
I believe the posters who mistreated the forum weren't members ,so they didn't appreciate it like the rest of us.I see some of the same subjects coming to general conversation.The Pig Pig can be very informational when used in the proper manner.I fear they left Ken no choice.I miss it allreaedy.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
Some of the qualifications might be to be a ClubFTE member, as you would be paying for the bandwidth being used up then.

Also a post quota of 300 has been mentioned. Members would need to have at least 300 posts to enter.

A password only forum has been mentioned too, the password would change daily and you would need a moderator to give you it before entering.

The most popular has been removing both the GC and PP altogether.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:52 PM
FordFadgeole
Postmaster
If bandwidth is a problem ,would an extra user fee cure that problem? Such as a Gold member for example?

Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
Matts72
Post Fiend
I don't know what will be decided, its not up for any discussion by the FTE'ers, I suppose you could go to the User Feedback Forum and post your thoughts.

Old 02-04-2004, 08:58 PM
jskufan
Posting Guru
Originally posted by Mattsbox99
Some of the qualifications might be to be a ClubFTE member, as you would be paying for the bandwidth being used up then.

Also a post quota of 300 has been mentioned. Members would need to have at least 300 posts to enter.

A password only forum has been mentioned too, the password would change daily and you would need a moderator to give you it before entering.

The most popular has been removing both the GC and PP altogether.
Of all the suggestions, I think putting a minimum post count makes the most sense. The password protection will simply make it to much trouble and add pressure for moderators to be online more. As far as eliminating Pig Pen and General Discussion, you will remove the incentive for members to visit the forum regularly and ultimately loose the relationships that have developed that make this a nice place to go in your free time. Most every forum has a general discussion or a place for members just to "converse" about topics they enjoy. Members make a forum, no members no forum. If you just wanted to fix your truck, you'd buy a Chilton's manual.

Old 02-04-2004, 09:25 PM
phatpharm85
Elder User
ya I have to agree with jskufan on the 300 post idea.
Lots of people come onto GC just for advice on simple stuff or to blow off alittle steam that may get shunned on another forum. I could maybe see getting rid of PP, persoanlly I dont use it but other people would shoot me for saying that so its not the greatest anwser.

I think if GC got closed, a forum for discusing concept and/or up and comming models and maybe a clean joke forum would work becuase thats some of the convo in GC and a jokes page could still have a min number of post say like 50 or100, something low enough were somewhat new users can access it but still have an idea of the rules by that point.

Quick Reply: What Happened?