Sponsored by:

I hate catching on fire.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2004, 06:23 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I hate catching on fire.

As some of you may recall...I toasted my tranny pretty good during last months mud bog. For some reason my C-6 didn't take well to wheel stands while I pulled out a big chevy stuck up to its axles.

Drained the fluid outta the tq and tranny, filled with fresh, ran fine.

So, today I'm up at Bunker Hill wailing on it with my usual lack of intelligence....

and either I burned some clutches up last time or put the nail in the coffin this time because during a hill climb it majorly overheated, spit atf all over my exhaust, and promptly caught on fire. Good thing I carry a fire extinguisher. Long story short, I managed to limp it home (slipping majorly all the way) but my tranny is shot. I soooo hate autos for this reason. Thing that sucks, is that I have an aluminum finned deep tranny pan, plus an auxillary tranny cooler with its own dedicated fan. What do I gotta do to keep this thing cool! Did I mention autos drive me nuts?

Old 02-01-2004, 07:31 PM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
autos **** mee off too, in my 76 2wd doorless farm truck, ive been through 2 c-6's in less than 10 miles, lol

well one of them still had reverse and i drove it around our land like that for awhile..lol

the next one i put it jus tstarted slipping after about 30-45 mins and i had to hold it to the floor(well i was mad too) the whole way to make it back to the shed, it did that fluid pouring out the vent thing too, and it sucked cause i have no floor pan in there

i aint touched it since....im lookin for all the 4 spd crap i need to put one in there.....all my other trucks are manuals.....np435, zf-5spd, m5od

i seem to have more trouble catching myself on fire (9 inch grinder and welding)

Last edited by 85351ho; 02-01-2004 at 07:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 08:07 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Lol, yea, catching yourself on fire in your shop is kinda par for the course (or is that just us)...but it sucks to set your rig on fire when your wheeling. I'm starting to think about just throwing in a stick too. Autos are best for mud dragging/bogging, but i prefer sticks. Free horsepower, more strength, better reliability.

Problem is, I don't know of an easy way to stick a stick behind the 460 in my '73. A zf would be awesome but $ and complicated. Don't know what my options for going with an Np-435 is...thats one tough sob of a trans.

Old 02-01-2004, 09:03 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how built up was your c6? by the way the rest of you rig i would think it was beefed too, but you never know. i hate autos too, something about a stick that just makes me feel better. anyways i know there are C6's built that can take this abuse. anyways i know a good whole sale tranny dealer that can build it anyway you want it at some of the lowest prices around too, great rep too.

and yea having your rig catch fire on the trail sucks, especially when the fire is right at your knees! you jump out of you truck dancing around like and idoit while the girls you where trying to impress just laugh. that sucks.

Old 02-01-2004, 10:32 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Yea, it was beefed a bit, but not top dollar beefed. Figure a C-6 with minor beef was good enough, I was wrong. In defense of the C-6, my 2500 stall doesn't help with my heat problems. With enough $$$ the C-6 can be built to handle up to 1200hp. I was just trying to avoid the $$$ part of the equation I'm really looking at going to manual for several reasons at this point...

edit: my wife was the only chick with me at the time (sadly) and rather than laughing she shot out the door like a rocket when she saw flames and saw me bail out myself with the extinguisher in hand and a "OH S!" on my lips. Every wench for themselves or something like that

Last edited by proeliator; 02-01-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-01-2004, 10:40 PM
Texan1983
Posting Guru
yea, i know what you mean. i like my C6 enough to keep it around, but i can see where you would have problems with it. good luck.

by the way, i just burned up my c6 too. funny how 195,000 miles of highway and off-road abuse will do that!

Old 02-01-2004, 11:14 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Originally posted by Texan1983
funny how 195,000 miles of highway and off-road abuse will do that!
Which just goes to show how great a C-6 really is. Even though it is a huge freakin parasite. I'm just thinking its gonna cost more money then I'm willing to spend on a tranny to make an auto live behind my combo.

Plus, I do love an np-435's granny low

Now I've just gotta figure out how to make it work behind my 460. I'll admit my knowledge of tranny's is pretty much bolt 'em up and go...

Old 02-01-2004, 11:59 PM
ivanribic
Post Fiend
Originally posted by proeliator
I'll admit my knowledge of tranny's is pretty much bolt 'em up and go...
'Tis a magical box. Torque goes in and torque comes out but what happens inside the mystical land of automatics is beyond our imagination. I am always blown away by the guys who can take these trannys apart and make sense of them.

Sucks about your fire Pro. I keep thinking I need to put an extinguisher in my truck just in case one of my shoddy electrical connections causes a major fire. I've been putting it off but now I'll throw one in there as soon as I get home.

Can you imagine how bad that would be to stand there and watch your truck burn to the ground because you had nothing to put it out with??

Old 02-02-2004, 12:59 AM
85351ho
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i mounted a fire extinguisher in my truck after we rolled it, just for a peice of mind, and i aint needed it yet, thank god

go for the np435 pro....all you needa do is find a 351/400 bellhousing out of one of our trucks, find a 390 flywheel and run 12 inch clutch(i run mcleod)...
its really best if you could find a donor truck to get the floorpan, linkage and pedals

then you just gotta find an np435 that came outta a highboy if you want to just bolt it up

im tired so im sure im forgetting something

Old 02-02-2004, 01:59 AM
Idiomaticman
Senior User
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33733

this is what you are looking for....you know you want it....has a PTO outlet in it too, its a 1356, and a ZF....

Idiomaticman

Old 02-02-2004, 10:10 AM
RawPower
Postmaster
You should switch to a manual tranny, it'd serve you better, and make you a better "off-roader", oh wait, you are already good, so nm that, but anyways, as you stated, free tq, and reliability.

I'm glad my truck is a manual. My dad scrambled his auto tranny about 3 monthes ago, but thats not saying much, cause its a 2001 F250 w/ an e4od...

Autos are a pain... everything auto, that is... like hubs, for another example...

Old 02-02-2004, 12:53 PM
superswamper
Elder User
word up i new c6 in about a year ago and it still doesn't hook up right, but pro if you scrap that c6 i'd be interested in your cooler and pan btw.

yeah checking fire sucks donkey, especially when if your carb flaming up on a hill.....then melting through the fuel line.....it sucks ***, good thing the brush fire unit was near by, (they saw the fire ball)

Old 02-02-2004, 01:16 PM
proeliator
Post Fiend
Yea, all you guys need to be carrying a fire extinguisher in your cab. It only takes once...

So my plan is this: Pirate an Np-435 outta a highboy plus all the bracketry I need, bolt up the 390 flywheel (I guess this only works with our early internally balanced 460s, huh) swap on the modified bellhousing, and I'm good to go. I was "thinking" that was all there was too it but thought I was missing something. This makes me feel better. For some reason its a mecca for old Fords out here and I should be able to get everything for $150.

I'd love to put in a ZF but for all the extra complication and expense I'll stick with the NP435.

I'll start looking and let you guys know. Assuming all goes as planned guess I'll be selling a new deep alum/finned pan, tranny cooler w fan, and B&M shifter...swamper has dibs

Old 02-02-2004, 01:23 PM
superswamper
Elder User
Originally posted by proeliator
Yea, all you guys need to be carrying a fire extinguisher in your cab. It only takes once...

Assuming all goes as planned guess I'll be selling a new deep alum/finned pan, tranny cooler w fan, and B&M shifter...swamper has dibs
your manual valve body would be sweet as well, but yeah consider it sold

Old 02-02-2004, 01:24 PM
JeremyH
Posting Guru
Originally posted by 85351ho
i seem to have more trouble catching myself on fire (9 inch grinder and welding)
I have many burned shirts and one set of jeans that has a shorter leg.....ripped jeans catch fire quite easily when welding!

Quick Reply: I hate catching on fire.