Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SuperTech oil filters

The SuperTech oil filter box says:

98% single pass efficiency
99% multiple pass efficiency

Purolator PureOne website says:

99.7% single pass efficiency
98% multiple pass efficiency

Now my question is that Purolator says its PureOne is ranked #1 in both SAE filtration tests, but clearly the SuperTech is ranked higher in the multiple pass test. Whats the deal? Both filters use the SAE J806 test, so how can the PureOne claim to be #1 in both tests when the SuperTech has a higher eficiency %.

Also, how can the SuperTech have such outstanding efficiency numbers and still only cost $1.98. The numbers are either false or the SuperTech is an awesome deal. (By the way I was also wandering if the SuperTech has metal endcaps or cardboard like the dreaded FRAM)

Thanks everyone!

Old 01-31-2004, 10:10 PM
JustinH
Senior User
supertech is made by champion labs. It is a well made filter, I use it in all my beater winter cars. My car and my truck however get motorcraft filters. They have a unique rubber anti-drainback valve that prevents dry clatter when you start it up.

If its a ford then put a motorcraft filter on it.

Old 01-31-2004, 10:27 PM
gtm245
Senior User
The anti-drainback valve doesn't really matter to me because my oil filter hangs vertically. I'm still wondering about the whole efficiency that I first posted. Can anyone elaberate on this?

Old 02-01-2004, 08:33 AM
micgang
Junior User
I read in an article published by the American Filter Council (or something like that) that stated the efficiency ratings should not be used for marketing purposes. Notice that different manufacturers use different tests to show how great their filters work. The best thing to do is go to the manufacturers and get all of the specs for all of the SAE tests and then you can compare them yourself.

Look at this thread and you can clearly see that Supertech filters, while they have a solid design, are skimpy on filter media. I use a Wix filter for my Ford, as I love the way that they are manufactured. The motorcraft filter has an equally solid design as the Supertech, but with more media, so it seems like a good option as well.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...c;f=6;t=001207

Old 02-01-2004, 08:42 AM
oppy
Laughing Gas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm sure I'll get flamed for this, but I think any brand of filter will do a fine job in your engine. They all are tested against and exceed OEM requirements.

The key is not what filter but when you change your oil. If you change it when you're supposed to you'll do fine.

Old 02-01-2004, 08:51 AM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I use a Supertech over a Fram, If you just compare the quality hand and hand you can see the difference. My wifes Dodge Intrepid takes a PH16 or St16. There is a huge difference. The supertech looks to have a lot more flow.

Old 02-03-2004, 11:13 AM
horsepuller
Post Fiend
Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by gtm245
The anti-drainback valve doesn't really matter to me because my oil filter hangs vertically. I'm still wondering about the whole efficiency that I first posted. Can anyone elaberate on this?
The anti-drainback discussion was split from this thread and made into a separate topic Thread Spinoff: SuperTech oil filters (Anti-drainback valves) Let's try and steer this topic back to filter effeciency.

Old 02-05-2004, 02:34 AM
peppy
Postmaster
Old 02-07-2004, 04:01 PM
micgang
Junior User
I posted above that the Supertech filter media was skimpy for the application, I think it was a Honda. Anyway, out of curiosity I went and cut open a ST2, the Supertech for my application (equivalent to FL -820S) and here are the results. The filter has more media than I expected. It was fairly well built. The bypass looks a little suspect, but I admit that it would be hard to say how well it works.

Filter Media:
http://home.comcast.net/~micgang/wsb...D-1324326.html

Other parts:
http://home.comcast.net/~micgang/wsb...D-1324327.html

I will take apart some other filters that are equivalent to the FL-820S so those of us that use them can judge for ourselves.

I will stick with the Wix.

Old 02-07-2004, 10:25 PM
gtm245
Senior User
Does everyone agree that for $1.98 it's a darn good oil filter? I think I might use this oil filter because it's made by champion labs, it's only $1.98, and the 98% SPE and 99% MPE are pretty impressive to say the least. What about their oil? It's SL and GF-3 rated and I'm under the impression lately that as long as the oil is SL and GF-3 rated then it is of high quality and should do as good as any other same rated oil. I'm thinking that I couldn't get anymore life out of my engine by using Havoline, Castrol GTX, Valvoline, or even synthetics rather than SuperTech.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:03 PM
c_rossman
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know the SuperTech 5W30 has a good dose of moly in it and has shown good UOA. I use it in my truck in the winter. When I changed the oil last week I noticed it was really black and my oil pressure was about 20 psi lower, but I hadnt changed it since september. I wouldnt go longer than 2500 miles on the oil because mine looked shot! but I can do a complete oil change for $7.50. I am puting a new motor in in the spring.

Old 02-08-2004, 11:30 AM
68torino
Posting Guru
As far as oils turning black any vehicle I have owned from low mileage motorcycles to high miler trucks and vans my oil always goes to a very dark brown to black. Any oil research I have looked at states that if your oil gets dark that is because it is capturing and retaining the contaminats\dirt\sludge so it's doing it's job. Now as I have never owned a new motor except for lawnmowers then I have had to work with what I bought from someone else. I have used all different types of oils including synthetics. I just use dino and 3000-5000 mile change outs.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Lone_Ranger01
Senior User
Supertech is made by QuakerState. I know because I work at Wal-Mart in the automotive department, and it comes from QuakerState

Old 02-14-2004, 10:20 AM
Rand
Elder User
Not anymore. Wal-mart ditched them. Look again at your bottles.
I believe the CURRENT st oil is ""made"" by warren distro.

Rand

Old 02-14-2004, 10:27 AM
BlueRanger94
Senior User
I bought a 5qt of the 10W30 for my dads old pickup yesterday and it makes no statement of who makes it other than its made in USA. The guy who works for Walmart might have some insight if he is reading the shipping labels on the pallets.

Quick Reply: SuperTech oil filters