2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer mess-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2004, 11:16 AM
cowchip13
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Dealer mess-up

Have been waiting 2 months for delivery of my new Lariat and was informed yesterday that my truck was sold by mistake when it came in !!! What a mess-up !

Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 AM
bigjack
Elder User
Whoa, I would be highly pissed! There is no excuse for that level of incompetance. I believe I'd have somebodies head!-Jack

Old 01-28-2004, 11:40 AM
mn 6.0
Senior User
For what is't worth, I would not order a new truck. I test drove at least eight trucks before I found one that did not have some small glitch. Some had a vibration, some had very loud engine noise, some had body panels that did not fit very well. I would rather drive the exact truck I'm purchacing. On about the sixth truck, the salesman said " ya know we can fix these little problems you're finding" I said "no thanks, we'll find one with no problems". I'm sure if you wanted to, you could use their srew up as leverage & get a good deal on one on the lot. Just my opinon.

Old 01-28-2004, 11:46 AM
edmundrsku
Junior User
I would write/call Ford corporate immediately. That major fowl-up should be worth a few grand off your next order (assuming you still want to order a truck) and the highest possible production priority. Perhaps the dealer will give you a 2004 loaner while you wait on your new order.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:56 PM
jcreality
Senior User
that'd chew my hide too!
I would tend to think that they could LOCATE a truck for you ANYWHERE within 500 miles, no matter HOW MANY extras it has on it......and sell it to you for the SAME PRICE......within ONE WEEK.
What a major foul-up. Tell them they can take the profits they made on YOUR TRUCK, and discount your price THAT MUCH further!!!

Sidenote......as far as ordering a truck.....you ALWAYS have the right to refusal if for some reason you find it is not up to par. Yeah, you'll feel a bit more pressure to take that ONE, since you've been waiting so long....but you still have the option to drive it and check it out (only an unknowing buyer wouldn't) before signing the forms.

Cowchip13......I admire your calmness with which you've notified us of this..... I'd go to the manager of that store today, tell them you intend to notify Ford HQ of this as well, and suggest some of these things we are mentioning to you. They have GOT to make it right. You could also mention that you are part of a nationwide forum for Ford trucks, and that you'd be happy to post your results AND the dealership name on this forum, based on his making this situation right, or not, for you.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:08 PM
cowchip13
Freshman User
Mess-up

Thanks for the fast reply guys...the problem is I ordered it with every option and there is not another truck like it in texas...trust me I spent hours on the internet searching dealerships when I first decided on the F150...the dealer even checked for me and could not find one like I wanted...so I ordered one...now that this has happened I spent yesterday searching and could not find one like I want...did find one, but the wrong color...the price on the truck was $ 100 over invoice so there is not alot of room for them to play with...they tell me they will make it right, but coming from a car salesman, that could mean anything...the owner of the dealership is out of town and I will talk to him when he gets back...wish me luck !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-28-2004, 01:16 PM
bigjack
Elder User
Getting a new truck as great as the 04 f150 should be a great experience. Don't let this sour you on the truck, when you finally get the one you want you'll love it they're awesome!--Jack

Old 01-28-2004, 01:31 PM
dshupp
Freshman User
$100 over Invoice means nothing.... They make more than $100 on that truck.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:44 PM
bigjack
Elder User
dshupp is right, there are dealer hold backs and incentives that effect what they really make on the sale.--Jack

Old 01-28-2004, 01:52 PM
TWellmann
Senior User
Don't be shy, $100 over invoice means they are still cashing in with a nice chunk of profit...as edmundrsku suggested, demand a few grand off or threaten to go to Ford directly. Selling a sold vehicle is a huge no-no.

Old 01-28-2004, 01:57 PM
jcreality
Senior User
cowchip......
there's a guy on this forum who got his truck (in TX) for HUNDREDS UNDER invoice.
I'm in WA, and getting mine for $500 below.
Know another guy on this forum getting his in OH for about $560 below.

THERE IS ROOM for these guys to DROP their price for you, especially!!!especially in light of them selling a truck that YOU ordered.
Did you know that even FORD had your name on that truck while it was being built?! Still can't believe someone sold a truck you had built to your specs.
Unheard of.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:04 PM
Motoguy79
Junior User
Sad to think about this people..... but ever think that the dealer did it intentionally? If they could sell the truck for a few more thousand dollars to a person that was willing to spend MSRP for it. I would try to get them for every dime that they could possibly take off of it.

Old 01-28-2004, 02:21 PM
jcreality
Senior User
motoguy......
'tis why I posted each of my suggestions.
"the manager is out, sorry. Or he WAS out that day too, sorry..."
is nothing new to my ears.

cowchip, just don't waste any time with salespeople. Request/demand to speak with the manager, or even the store owner. State your exact expectations (I'd aim high, bro), and ramifications possible if he/she doesn't comply (i.e. reporting it here and to Ford HQ), and say nothing thereafter. Let them respond to your favor, and kiss your butt for the next weeks while you await delivery on your truck.
Heck....maybe even approach OTHER dealerships in the meantime, tell them what happened to you, and that you have since-heard that guys are getting their ordered trucks for atleast $300 under invoice, and see what they can do. THEN take their willingness to earn your business with you when you speak to this dealership you originally ordered with.
I wish this place was local to me.....I'd be happy to speak with them on your behalf as well.

Old 01-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Kraut
Senior User
"accidentally" sold it my .

It rolled off the truck, and another customer saw it....wanted it.....and BOUGHT it. It probably happened the last day or two of that month in a slow month. That way, it boosted the dealerships numbers at a time they needed it. A "car sold" was worth more to them at that moment then honoring their contract with you.

Get your deposit back RIGHT NOW, and call your local news "consumer protector" guy. Let 'em know you're going to do it.

This kind of makes you want to buy an import. I have almost NEVER heard of this kind of rubbbish from an import dealer.

Dealers are hurting right now with MOST of their sales coming from X/Z/A plan (i.e. lower profits and lower sales numbers). Dealers are measured by units sold per month. They needed the sale.

Old 01-28-2004, 08:39 PM
JohnBoy2
Senior User
Cowchip,

Don't think $100 over is as low as they can go.
After selling your truck, it would be fair for them to lose a few hundred. That would set your target at $3-400 UNDER.

Keep the pressure on them. They need to make it up to you.

Quick Reply: Dealer mess-up