2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer mess-up

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2004, 06:26 AM
charlesh
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pretty simple equation here. Someone saw the truck and gave the dealer a boat load of money for it. Lets assume this person paid MSRP or maybe only got the price down a grand or so. The dealer could make a quick extra 2 or 3 thousand.

I had a similar experience at a Toyota dealership. I found a truck on the internet, made an offer and went down to test drive it (in really crappy snowy weather). I liked the truck and I said I would stop by after work the next day with my credit union check, I got the trucks VIN for insurance etc. No paper work signed. The next day the dealer called me to say that some other salesman did not know the truck was sold and sold it.

Sorry but I did not fall off the turnip truck. I made a really good deal and my guess is someone else made an offer where the dealership made more money. I didn't have any signed paperwork so I could only verbally express my displeasure.

And without paperwork, I guess they had the right to sell it out from under me.

Chip

Old 01-29-2004, 07:56 AM
Kraut
Senior User
Originally posted by charlesh
Pretty simple equation here. Someone saw the truck and gave the dealer a boat load of money for it. Lets assume this person paid MSRP or maybe only got the price down a grand or so. The dealer could make a quick extra 2 or 3 thousand.

I had a similar experience at a Toyota dealership. I found a truck on the internet, made an offer and went down to test drive it (in really crappy snowy weather). I liked the truck and I said I would stop by after work the next day with my credit union check, I got the trucks VIN for insurance etc. No paper work signed. The next day the dealer called me to say that some other salesman did not know the truck was sold and sold it.

Sorry but I did not fall off the turnip truck. I made a really good deal and my guess is someone else made an offer where the dealership made more money. I didn't have any signed paperwork so I could only verbally express my displeasure.

And without paperwork, I guess they had the right to sell it out from under me.

Chip
Exactly........OR a combination of what I said and you say. I can't imagine paying any MORE for a car than INVOICE. It's even harder for me to accept, in my mind, that someone would actually pay STICKER for a car (assuming it's not a viper or something like that where 10,000 want one, and only 5000 cars exist). I'm talking main stream vehicles here.

It was probably a combo of both. End of a slow month. Customer up side down in a trade who HAD to have THAT truck. Got wire brushed on his trade, paid MSRP for the new one. Dealer says to himself: " _______ the guy that ordered it ! I'm walking away with a TRADE IN I can turn around and ca$h in on, and I've made a BOAT load of $$$$s on this ordered one, AND we gwt closer to our numbers.

Last edited by Kraut; 01-29-2004 at 08:00 AM.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:37 AM
MW95F250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If the dealer sold it for more than you had agreed/signed on, demand that you get the difference between what you had agreed on and what they sold it for. If not, we'd love to hear about the dealer on here.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:44 AM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Motoguy79
Sad to think about this people..... but ever think that the dealer did it intentionally? If they could sell the truck for a few more thousand dollars to a person that was willing to spend MSRP for it. I would try to get them for every dime that they could possibly take off of it.
This makes more sense than "oops, we mistakenly sold it to someone else." Don't waste your time contacting Ford: 1) they couldn't care less, 2) they'll say this is a matter between the customer and the dealer. Once it left the plant, it's no longer Ford's concern. Your only leverage is to tell them to get you an acceptable truck ASAP, with an additional discount for your aggravation, or you'll just go somewhere else and get one.

Old 01-29-2004, 10:50 AM
cowchip13
Freshman User
Hey guys...Thanks for all the replys and support...called the dealership today and ask to have the owner call me back...they wanted me to talk to the manager but I said no thanks...this is a small town dealership and just can't accept the fact that my truck got mixed up in the shuffle...I will keep yall posted as to what comes out of my conversation with the owner...................

Old 01-29-2004, 11:08 AM
rjs1521
Junior User
Nothing more agravating is there? Heres my story, I ordered my truck nov 7th with everything I wanted, not everyting the dealer wanted. a friend who works at Ford world emailed me to say there was a problem with my order and it hadnt received a build date two weeks later. Turns out when they ordered the audiophile, they never checked the 6 disk changer, which comes with the audiophile anyways, so no one called or asked until I happened to check with him on the status. So they re-submitted the order two weeks later with the dealer checking the audiophile and the 6 disc changer. In the mean time I sold my 97 scab and began bumming rides all through the holidays. Afraid the rebates were going to run out i bagan calling the dealer who promised me I would have it before new years. Went to the dealer (which was a ways away) cause they said the truck would be there only to find it wasnt on new years eve. finally came in on jan 2nd but the wrong code for the a/p changer and viola, no audiophile! words couldnt describe my displeasure over the whole ordeal but the truck was beautiful and I wasnt about to wait another 2 months for them to try and get it right again.

Old 01-29-2004, 11:46 AM
CruelCrew
Senior User
I assume you made a deposit for your special order. Maybe signed off on the priced DORA (what you were going to pay for it when it arrived).

This pretty much obligates the dealer to provide you with that vehicle.

If they goofed (yea, right!), then they must make it right. I would guess you could demand some extras for their screw up...maybe a free extended warranty, bed liner, and undercoat/rustproof?

Call Ford and see what they say.

Old 01-29-2004, 12:17 PM
rjs1521
Junior User
cruel crew
it was their goof and i got nada, asked about a free bedliner and they just shrugged their shoulders. The problem was tha the code for the 6 disc changer and a/p 6 disc changer were different, why they need a code for the a/p 6 d/c when it comes with it is beyond me. but they ordered both the a/p and the standard 6 d/c codes and i guess the powers that be seeing a loaded fx4 on the build list picked the standard stereo as opposed to the a/p when they saw the order. lots of excuses

Old 01-29-2004, 12:27 PM
cowchip13
Freshman User
Thumbs up

OK Ladies and Gentlemen...just talked to the owner of the dealership and he was very sorry for the mix-up and assured me he would get to the bottom of what happen...he also checked on the truck they reordered for me and said it would be at his dealership in 2 to 3 weeks...also offered me $ 1200.00 off the agreed price of my first truck...and a 2004 F150 Lariat loaner until my truck came in...things are looking up...Thanks again for all your support and suggestions...I will let yall know when my baby gets here !!!

Old 01-29-2004, 12:55 PM
Mudlord
Senior User
No excuse for the screw-up, but it does sound like he's trying to make it right.

And you get to drive a new Lariat, starting...............now!

Old 01-29-2004, 01:04 PM
bigjack
Elder User
Glad to hear it. --Jack

Old 01-29-2004, 01:16 PM
jcreality
Senior User
my applause to the owner....
I'm proud of you cowchip.
I'd drive the HECK outta that Lariat!
Before I heard your result, I was going to mention that dealers MAY shrug at such idiocy, but little do they know what part of a nationwide (i.e. word-of-mouth-advertisement) forum you are a part of and carry with you.
So it sounds to me cowchip that you are getting invoice minus dealer holdback on the truck......He's pretty much "giving" you the truck (in my humble calculation) at his cost.
ALMOST up to par with what I'd expect. Ha ha....just kidding. I think he did well.
If you didn't have a loaner in the meantime, I'd feel much differently.
I'm also glad to hear "he's getting to the bottom of it"......heck, I think the manager who signed off on the deal should ALSO give you 90% of the commissions he himself took in on the deal on YOUR ORDERED truck! (cusswords, cusswords, cusswords!)

Old 01-29-2004, 01:47 PM
AttaBoyRoy
New User
Speaking about "superscrew-ups" at the dealer ..

I had ordered my new Sscrew on Dec 12th and never called the sales guy back for a delivery date .. figured, no big deal .. 8-10 weeks.

I just drove by the lot today and popped in to get him to check my delivery date, and my truck has been sitting on the dealer lot for two days.

I'm back home dropping off my old truck, grabbing my checkbook, and waiting on a ride back to the dealer!

It's a good day and about to get a whole lot better!

Mike
'88 F150 XLT (R.I.P.)
'99 F150 XLT extended cab (for sale)
'04 F150 Lariat Supercrew (about to be mine)

Old 01-29-2004, 01:51 PM
jcreality
Senior User
WTF???!!

Are these dealers OUTTA their minds?!

And we wonder WHY they can't sell cars!

I'm SO *baffled*

Old 01-29-2004, 03:04 PM
CruelCrew
Senior User
Glad it worked out. Their offer sounds very fair.

Quick Reply: Dealer mess-up