1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

I have a confession...

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 11:31 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy I have a confession...

It's cold out. I'm only 5'11". I work every day; days off are few and far between. My spark plugs needed changing recently.

What do all these things have in common?

They all contributed to me paying $295 to have a shop change my spark plugs for me.

That's right - for all the discussion, planning, etc., it was much easier to pay someone to do it for me. Took it to a reputable shop, they fixed it up right (and gave me my old plugs back) and everything's peachy.

I started working on it myself, but after 45 minutes of laying on my tummy (on the radiator) in the freezing cold, with daylight dwindling, I decided this really wasn't worth my time.

In retrospect, I stand by my decision - the $295 was well spent.

Feel free to verbally abuse me.

XXL

Old 01-22-2004, 05:09 AM
BigMan69
Senior User
If it was the spring or summer with beautiful weather, you, out illustrious mod, would have gotten an earful from me. BUT being the weather is as cold as it is, I forgive you,,,lol. I don't even want to add washer fluid in this weather nevermind lay on an engine for a couple of hours to do sparkplugs.

BigMan69

Old 01-22-2004, 06:35 AM
itlkick
Senior User
LOL! I can't blame you either, it was -25 yesterday here (with wind chill) and if I could I would have hired someone to open my doors and start my truck!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:48 AM
ppo2
Senior User
I'm with you

I'd rather pay someone to do it than freeze my buns off in this cold weather. But then again come spring or summer I'd rather be playing with my son or go diving....go figure - always an excuse not to do work.

Then again there's the honey-do-list.....honey do this and honey do that - you guys know what I mean.

Drive Safe,
Dan

Old 01-22-2004, 09:18 AM
buzzard
Logistics Pro
Matt, Matt, Matt all this time I've looked up to you as sort of a hero.....actually I don't really blame you too much inasmuch as I've been on the fence lately. One moment I feel compelled to change my own and the next I'm thinking how easy it'd be to take in to a shop. I've only got 67K miles so I still have some time to continue debating with myself. I guess it will boil down to whether or not I have another (better) use for the $300 or not at the time of my decision.

Did you use Motorcraft plats again?

Old 01-22-2004, 09:38 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Oh snap!! Bigmatt, you were always the guy everyone looked up to, but after this last incident, I think your reputation is tarnished. You can make it up though... Just double the amount of time you spend here. I guess I am luck to have a garage to work in, even though it was 5 degrees out when I did my throttle body. Prolly 20 in the garage, and I had a small heater going.

Old 01-22-2004, 09:42 AM
dmvguy
Freshman User
Hello everyone,

If you are not mechanically inclined then it is always better to pay someone who is qualified to do the job. Plus if they make a mistake i.e. not torquing the plugs correctly or cross threading then it should be covered under warranty if one is provided. I recently had mine done on my 98 Eddie Bauer at my local Ford dealer along with the normal 120,000 mile service and received a 12 month/12,000 warranty on the work. Yes I have it in writing. I will read and learn all I can about my vehicle so I will be able to discuss it with whoever does the work. An informed owner is hard for dealers or others to take advantage of and it will save a lot of headaches.

Larry in Nevada. A New and very happy Expedition Owner.

Old 01-22-2004, 10:18 AM
MisterCMK
Fleet Owner
Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts
Welcome to FTE! You are very right about the informed owners. Its hard to pull the wool over their eyes.

Old 01-22-2004, 12:17 PM
hceptj
Senior User
LOL@the confession...

I don't blame you considering the circumstances.

There are a few reasons I work on my car...a) I like to do it, b) I'm a tightwad, c) I don't trust many people to do the work correctly.

It was actually nice this past weekend here in the Dallas area (about 60-65) and I did oil changes on both vehicles, plugs on one, O2 sensors on both and fuel filters on both.

However, I didn't buy the parts until Friday when I was SURE it would be warm...not going to catch me out there freezing unless I have to.

It takes a lot to come out in public like that though...gotta give ya a

Old 01-22-2004, 12:22 PM
FarmLaw
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What, no one's mentioned PENANCE yet? We need some atonement for this sin...

Hmmm....perhaps something like...

Next time thine tires need rotation, thou shalt do it at home, without using power tools.

Or maybe you need to sacrifice one COP to the 5.4L gods...

Old 01-22-2004, 02:12 PM
RevFlash
New User
Yes but what do you get for 300$

Old 01-22-2004, 02:36 PM
18fan
Senior User
I am thinking of doing the same thing. I already have the plugs and have been putting off installing them until warmer weather. But since I am going to have to get the leaking head fixed I thought I would let them do it at the same time.

Old 01-22-2004, 02:54 PM
wolvesfan
Freshman User
Oh thank God... I thought you were going to say you wanted a menage a trois with Rosie O'Donnell and Oprah Winfrey... Paying to have your plugs changed is a totally excusable offense (mainly because I wouldn't think twice about paying someone else do it)...

Old 01-22-2004, 03:51 PM
PaulC
Posting Guru
Matt. I'm demoralized. I've looked up to you as the DIY role model of this forum, and now I find that you delegated a crucial maintenance task to An Outsider. (sigh) Right now, I can't muster the spirit to even check the air pressure in my tires. As a matter of fact, not only can I not perform even the most basic maintenance tasks, I'm even looking in the classifieds for a chauffeur.

Old 01-22-2004, 04:17 PM
D2EBMA
Senior User
Matt, if you want to redeem yourself, I'm sure that mine isn't the only Expy with road salt practically embedded into it. Perhaps a round-the-country tour, washing the Expys of those you disappointed would be in order.

Unfortunately, that would have to wait until warmer weather, too!

Quick Reply: I have a confession...