Using Oil

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 02:35 PM
thebraindead
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Using Oil

Hey Guys,

Needing some help, I have a 96 f350 PSD dually with 145000 miles on it. I just recently purchase it and this is my first deisel and I love it. Got it so I could haul the dirt bikes and pull the travel trailer.

My question is that I am burning oil, about 1/2 - 3/4 of a quart each day and I was curious if you had any ideas. I only see the typical smoke in the morning when I start it up, but when driving it is not blowing any smoke. Any ideas would be helpfull.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 01-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
It's possible that one of your injector O-rings have failed. On each injector, there are three grooves, which have o-rings installed in them. The o-rings act as gaskets, keeping three vital fluids of your engine separate: oil, coolant, and fuel. If the "right" o-ring were to fail, it's possible for oil to be entering into your fuel, where it would burn off. If you're losing it at that rate, it wouldn't show as a lot of smoke.
Have you checked your fuel for oil? The best way would be to remove the cap from your fuel filter, and see if the fuel inside has oil in it.

Old 01-15-2004, 07:44 PM
Bob Goodsell
Junior User
It also could be the turbo seals. I had to replace the turbo last year because of that. I used 3 quarts of oil in 1400 miles.
Bob

Old 01-15-2004, 09:15 PM
thebraindead
New User
Hey guys thanks for the input!!!!!

Quadzilla - How hard is it to check the O-rings on the injectors, sorry I am very new to this. I will try to check the fuel, what should I be looking for???

Bob - Where is the turbo seal that you are talking about and is there any way to check that with out pulling my turbo off.

Where would I find a good manual so that I could learn to do some of these things on my own???

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 01-15-2004, 11:37 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
Most obvious symptom is dark colored fuel in the fuel filter housing. This happens when oil gets into the fuel through failed "O" rings.

I friend of mine has a car lot and has a 2000 that uses a gallon of oil per tank of fuel. Fuel in the filter bowl is VERY dark, it is obvious the fuel is not pure.

Dave / Believer45

Old 01-16-2004, 05:11 AM
Quadzilla
Postmaster
The best way to determine whether or not your o-rings have failed is to check for cross contamination of your fluids: oil in the fuel, coolant in the oil, etc. Replacement of the o-rings isn't difficult, but it is a little time consuming. Considering the number of miles on your truck, you could very well be due for new o-rings. My truck had an o-ring fail at about 150K miles, and I replaced all of them, plus the glow plugs, since they're both under the valve cover.
As for looking for a manual, you can get an owner's manual here They also carry shop manuals, etc. This forum is a pretty good source of information, too, and it's free!

Old 01-16-2004, 01:17 PM
thebraindead
New User
Thanks Guys,

Do you know of a site on the internet that will give me a "HOW TO" on changing the O-rings around my injectors? I don't want to screw anything up, but I would like to do it myself and save some $$$$$.

Thanks,
Dennis

Old 01-16-2004, 03:11 PM
believer45
Posting Guru
I have a copy of instructions from a member of another site saved as an MS Word document. I cannot send attachments using this site's email and cannot post my email address here (against forum rules). If you will click on my profile and send me an email with the appropriate email address I will send the information as an attachment. Please let me know what information you need and what site you saw this on. I have a bit of a library and have been sending information out to folks who request it for a while.

Dave / Believer45