1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Flipped PSD on Side - Restarting issues?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2004, 11:19 PM
DirtyDieselPhil
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Flipped PSD on Side - Restarting issues?

Well, I flipped my two week old 02 F350 CC SB PSD on it's side tonight. (no one hurt) I turned it off right away, and it was righted within about an hour. I had it towed to my body shop, and took a look a closer look at it. A little oil (maybe 1/2 cup or less) had leaked out of air intake and dribbled onto frame. I'm going to call dealer tomorrow to see about any precautions before starting again.

Any had any experience in this area? Any precautions before I restart? I'm planning on replacing air filter, and cleaning out intake, and anticipating a lot of smoke. Anything else?

thanks in advance

Old 01-15-2004, 11:58 PM
cwb
Posting Guru
How??!

Old 01-16-2004, 03:17 AM
trakman
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2 weeks old?

Gosh, thats like losing your best friend! Best of luck getting it fixed back up. Much damage and how did you do it?

I wouldn't think you'ed have to do much of anything on re-start. Like you said, expect alot of smoke.....keep us posted.

Old 01-16-2004, 07:40 AM
Paarrothead
Senior User
I'd have a concern abuot hydro lock, one of the cylinders might have oil spilled into it.
I'd manually turn the engine over a few times to make sure that it turns freely.

Old 01-16-2004, 09:35 AM
DirtyDieselPhil
Junior User
Thanks for the replies, gents. I called the dealer this AM, and other than what I was planning on (air filter stuff), he suggested checking the inertia switch (passenger side kick panel), to make certain it hadn't been tripped, and turned off power to fuel pump.

2 weeks old - Yeah, it's a real bummer.

How? - I was heading up canyon, about 25-30 mph, and hit some black ice arounf a rt-hand curve. The rear end kicked around, I corrected, regained traction, which sent me forward again. The only problem is that "forward" was toward the rt hand snow-covered guard rail!! The tires rode up on the snow bank (stacked in front of the guard rail). Got up to the rail, and the truck flipped onto the driver's side. At least it didn't send me over tha rail into the creek below. No other vehicles involved, no one hurt, and all driver-side panels damaged. I knew the sheriffs who responded, and no citation issued.

For a bad situation, it could have been a lot worse. Good Karma.

Anyone else with other ideas/suggestions? I'm heading down to the shop later this morning to restart.

Thanks again

Old 01-16-2004, 12:22 PM
cwb
Posting Guru
You sound like a lucky son of a gun.

Old 01-16-2004, 03:42 PM
DirtyDieselPhil
Junior User
Well, it started ok.

I called a couple of local diesel mechanics, and their advice mirrored the advice here. Turn the crank (at the crankshaft, not alternator) a few times, to see if I had any resistance. If not, it should be ok. That's what I did (24mm crank bolt FYI, and it WAS hard, but not unusually so) It was difficult to start, and kept cutting out, but after 10-12 starts, finally kept running (smoothly). I kept it running for 15-20 mins, then restarted it several times. It was taking a few extra seconds to start, but otherwise seemed to run fine. Now I'll let the bodyshop deal with their end of it, and I'll deal with the insurance. Hopefully nothing tweaked other than skin/panels.

Sigh

Thanks for help and kind words

Yeah, I was pretty lucky...

Phil