Notices

99 Eddie Bauer Expedition Blend door fix

Old 07-08-2005, 12:33 PM
99FordExpy
New User
99FordExpy is starting off with a positive reputation.
blend door motor fix

i have a '99 eddie bauer expedition with the automatic climate control. My dealer diagnosed a bad blend door motor, maybe a bad blend door too i can't remember.. i'll hafta look at the paper.

But in any case, I thought the entire dash had to be removed to fix this? Will someone clue me in.. it's getting warmer and I need to take a trip down south. There's no way I'm bringing females along without the a/c as it just blows hot now. Thanks!

Old 07-08-2005, 02:21 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
IB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputationIB Tim has a superb reputation
...Welcome to Ford Truck Enthusiasts! Please read the Guidelines, it will help you to navigate through and understand this site.
Stick around someone will be by shortly to answer your question.
We are happy you have chosen the best source for Fords!

Enjoy FTE....and
JOIN CLUB FTE -SUPPORT THE FORUMS!
..See you on the boards.

Old 11-26-2005, 07:13 PM
tsaucedo
New User
tsaucedo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hello I was wondering if you can send me the pictures you took so that I can attempt this painfull feat. I am an engineer, not rocket scientist but, I think I can repair this with your help. Also do you know where I can purchase the servi e manual you have, I have been looking locally but can't find them. Thanx. Tony

Old 12-14-2005, 12:36 PM
Robinsom
New User
Robinsom is starting off with a positive reputation.
Cool additional help with bend door fix on Expedition

What about headlight control switched - Appears from pictures that it doesn't need removel. What about removal instructions

How about in middle of dash - seems to be holding on something???????

What about dash removal straight back or up and back?

Ma'an this a big job!

Old 12-14-2005, 09:02 PM
tsaucedo
New User
tsaucedo is starting off with a positive reputation.
RobinsonM,

One of the posts repeatedly gave this great hint metioned it towards the end. I think that this should be stress from the start:

place you Electronic control unit ALL THE WAY TO THE COLDEST, the natural closing position of the blend door. So that when you are reinstalling the dor it is easier, not easy but easier.

The headlight switch: I had to remove it. You need to turn it all the way to on/fog lamp on and then remove it by prying with a small flathead screw driver. Then re-insert it at 180 degrees from this position, in other words, you need to pry it off at on position and re-insert it "180 degrees wrong" and then turn it back as if to shut lights off. By doing this it will disable the plastic latch that holds it in. You need to take it off so that you can take the cable harness off and a screw (you may not need to remove the screw, but I took it off anyway).

As far as the middle of the dash, the radio and temp controls are held by a frame that I removed and also a couple of screws that are behind the radio. Tha allowed me to move the dash from the middle.

You also need to remove some of the screws that hold the steering column and then the dash will come off towards the "back" and allow you to get to the plenum, This is all assuming that at this point you have most of the other screws off and are havinf trouble in the middle only. Although I just pulled the dash as far as I could WITHOUTH removing the steering column and managed to get to the plenum and remove the 13-15 screws (8mm) that hold it together (most are visible, but look out for the three that are in the back and sort of hidden). I had my brother gently pull the dash towards the back while I removed the plenum cover and removed the door and replaced it. It is definitely a PITA... but having said that, get yourself a buddy and take the time to do this. You will definitely HAVE A BIG SMILE, once you're done and think of the $1000-$1400 you save, depending on which dealer you call. I am extremely busy with work and just tackled this PITA a hour per day at a time and eventually, with GREAT PATIENCE, finished and am enjoying the awsome Hot air now.

If you have any other specific questions send me an email. Because now after the fact, and of course after all the headaches, I have acquired the FORD/LINCOLN NAVIGATOR/EXPEDITION manuals vol I & II and the electrical and vacuum books as well.

Thanks to everybodies previous posts, pictures, hints, and suggestions. I can now say,
................... I did it !!!!!!!!!!!!...........

Old 10-04-2006, 09:57 PM
furn_dog
New User
furn_dog is starting off with a positive reputation.
I was wondering if someone could help me out with exactly which part of my blend system I need to replace. I have a 99 EB Expedition and this summer lost my a/c to heat but after a few weeks of turning it on and off I got it back. Now that its getting colder I found out I don't have any heat blowing out just cold air. Thanks chad

Last edited by furn_dog; 10-04-2006 at 10:04 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:56 PM
ddilillo
New User
ddilillo is starting off with a positive reputation.
I am now fighting the always cold issue with my 98 navigator. I spent all day today and found out that the blend door actuator I have is OK. That is bad news isnt it. I now have to replace the actual blend door.

DO you have some pictures you can send to aid in the dissassembly?

Thanks for the help.

Dean

ddilillo at mindspring dot com

Last edited by Ultramagdan; 10-07-2006 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10-07-2006, 09:14 PM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Ultramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud of
Welcome both of you to FTE!

Has anyone tried to email Ivmilkman2002 (the first post) for the pictures?

Old 10-13-2006, 10:48 PM
ExPeter
New User
ExPeter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Talking YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! Automatic Climate Control

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

I just fixed my blend door issues! "It took 45 minutes, I followed Katzen's directions, it was a great set of directions

My wife is happy,

I am super happy!

Old 10-16-2006, 02:24 PM
98blueexpedition
Freshman User
98blueexpedition is starting off with a positive reputation.
My Expedition Has the same problem. Can you send me pictures to [email protected].

thanks

Old 10-16-2006, 08:19 PM
ExPeter
New User
ExPeter is starting off with a positive reputation.
Whoops!

I almost lost the link to the blend door fix. Here it is...
http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/

I did my explorer a little differently, I removed the blend door control motor and the housing is sits on prior to completing the fix. I also recomend looking at the top of the blend door fitting (the female part that breaks) because mine broke 90 degress to the example on the link.

Its been a few days now and the only thing I notice is a clunk shortly after I start the truck, I know the fix will eventually fail again, but hey I'll deffer the $1000 repair.

Before I found this fix, I was planning on cutting out the section of the heater box below the blend door, so I could replace the blend door and re attach the part that I took out, it seems risky, however if it fails again and I can't do a quick fix, I'll be trying that before I go to the stealership.

Old 10-23-2006, 08:02 AM
ddilillo
New User
ddilillo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Blend door Not!!

I replaced the blend door and the actuator already and I still get only cold air. Is it possible that the EATC is at fault. I ran the diagnostics and I don't get any code. At the end it just lights all the lights.

It seems that the car is running cooler than I would think is possible. Any ideas on what my problem could be on a 98 navigator. I replaced the blend door because that is what the dealer diagnostic advised. When I took it out i had to pull on it pretty hard and not sure if I cracked during removal or not. (I was pretty impatient during the final stages of the replacement to say the least)

Dean

Old 07-29-2007, 09:16 AM
andyr1
New User
andyr1 is starting off with a positive reputation.
need some help on blend door

hi can you please, send me some them pic of the blend door thanks

Old 07-29-2007, 09:49 AM
Ultramagdan
Post Fiend
Ultramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud ofUltramagdan has much to be proud of
Welcome to the forum!

I think there are few threads that may have a picture or two in them. I know that you can contact user lvmilkman2002 and he will send you the pictures.

Old 12-21-2007, 03:13 PM
Gerdva
Freshman User
Gerdva is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well, I read a lot in this forum but nothing concerning really my problem: Cooling works fine (front and rear) but I get no heat at all (air comes out colder as if the A/C is working), even when I put the temp button all the way to maximum. Also the "outside temperature" shown on the display is well below the real outside temp. I read something about actuator motor and door could it be that? I checked the rubber hoses (about 1" diam.) that run into the firewall and the upper hose is hotter to the touch than the lower one.(I supose it's the hose that heats up the air )

Well any help will be apreciated. Thanks Folks and merry Christmas!
2000 Eddie Bauer Expedition
4.6 Ltr Tritron Engine

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 99 Eddie Bauer Expedition Blend door fix

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.