6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck Won't Start, Cold Weather!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2004, 01:44 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Truck Won't Start, Cold Weather!!!

Just need everyone elses thoughts on this. I have an 03 6.0, that will not start at +5F unless it is plugged in. While fueling up the other day, I questioned the duramax owner at the other pump, (I knew him from work), about his, and he claims he has started it at temps as low as -15 to -20 degrees F. No plug in, and running just #2. I was a little doubtfull, so I asked my B-in-L, he has a duramax, and he also has no problem starting it at colder temps although he is not sure of actual temperatures. He does know they go skiing overnight every weekend, and the truck has never failed to start in two years.

My problem is, I cannot take my truck, because it will never start up for me. Example Sunday evening when I left the ski area, temp. was -12F. Unless I have a 1/2 mile of extension cord, I cannot plug it in. This morning, Temps are -30, I didn't even attempt to start it, If I took it to work, I would need to go out every 2 hours, start it and let it warm up so that it would start up in another 2 hours.

Yes, I am frustrated. I was sold this truck and engine package because of claims the new engine would start up and run without problems in these temps.

BTW, I am a reasonable person. I expect less than stellar performance in the cold, even accepting no startup when temps go below -20 or -25. But a total failure to start when temps. are still above zero are unacceptable, especcially when the duramax and the cummins are starting.

Is there anything ford can do to address this? I will get the 12/03 reflash here shortly. Hopefully this will help.

Old 01-05-2004, 01:50 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Just another question in-line with the above. Am I SOL if the truck dosn't start? With a gas engine, a little spray of ether, a warm battery, may get you going. According to the "book", can't spray ether, could warm the battery, but truck is cranking. Any other suggestions other than wait for spring?

Old 01-05-2004, 01:51 PM
luckild
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
03 should be warranty, let them deal with it and resister your complaint with FORD CUSTOMER SERVICE. ALSO BEAT THEM UP FOR A LOANER WHILE YOUR AT IT, in a NICE WAY. Seems early for glow plugs but have seen them fail with very low mileage. Let us know.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:09 PM
psdwanabe
Senior User
Ive seen posts of 6.0s starting colder than that. Id say you probably have a problem, weak glow plugs? Don't know. Take it in and have it checked out.

Old 01-05-2004, 02:32 PM
RJB1
Elder User
Mine started fine at 4 degrees this morning (not plugged in). Have the dealer check yours out. If needed I would park it there, then take the service person out with you to start it.

Old 01-05-2004, 03:00 PM
Lariat
Senior User
Could be a weak oil pump(low or high pressure). Do you smell raw fuel from the exhaust when cranking? If not, then the glow plugs are probably working, just not getting up enough oil pressure to the intensifiers(in the injectors) to create the fuel injection pulse. I believe it would even be difficult to start at 32 degrees if the glows were not working. How does it start at higher temps?
Lariat

Old 01-05-2004, 03:15 PM
nickydiesel
Junior User
Cold start

It was only Saturday that I bothered to look for the block heated plug, that is an adventure. We have it cold here in Winnipeg but she starts GREAT unplugged, however it is noisy, noisy, noisy for the first bit and that worries me. It's an 03 though, running on #2 so they will start in cold weather.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Colorado-native
Senior User
My 03 6.0 has started without problem at -7 F and I'm sure it would start at colder temps.
That said, I can easily mess up my start routine and have a problem.
I have an '88 7.5L gasser that has always started as soon as a cylinder fires, no matter how cold. That has led to a reflex to release the key as soon as it fires and if I do that with my 6.0L it may not start cleanly and may load up and die, then I have trouble starting.

When it's cold, I consciously wait for at least 30 sec AFTER the Wait-To-Start light goes out and then keep the starter engaged until it is running.

I run #2 from the local truck stops.

The WTS light only stays on for about 10 sec, but the glow plugs are on for up to 120 sec so try waiting for at least half a minute after the WTS light goes out before you crank it over. The more heat you get into the cylinders the better.

It certainly wouldn't hurt to have your glow plugs checked by your dealer.

Good Luck.

Old 01-05-2004, 04:31 PM
jfralph
Elder User
My normal routine has been to turn on ig. wait until WTS light goes out, switch off, repeat 3 times. I do release the key as soon as the clank from the engine starts up. Maybe I have to wait just a bit longer? Will I harm my starter?

Old 01-05-2004, 05:00 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Originally posted by jfralph
Maybe I have to wait just a bit longer? Will I harm my starter?

Ford says up to 11 seconds of crank time is acceptable( 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc....) starter should be fine, and the dec. flash will help.

Old 01-05-2004, 06:15 PM
cdtruckn
Senior User

Last edited by cdtruckn; 01-05-2004 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:15 PM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 61 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally posted by emtabmm
Ford says up to 11 seconds of crank time is acceptable( 1 mississippi, 2 mississippi, etc....) starter should be fine, and the dec. flash will help.
WOW that is a long time, some wires are starting to get warm!
Ford says OK then I say OK

Old 01-06-2004, 01:35 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Yesterday, it was -36F, So I didn't even attempt to start it. Today, my other vehicle lost the charging system halfway to work, so I had to get the truck. Temp was about -24F, and the truck was plugged in. I turned key on and waited for glow plug light to go out, then waited for humming to stop. Turned truck off, and repeated 3 times. I then proceeded to attempt to start the truck. It didn't I repeated the above process two more times and it finally started. However, there was a noticable howl coming from under the hood, so I immediately shut it off. My thought was I had held the starter to long and the drive was engaged and stuck. So I restarted the truck and the howl returned. The howl went away in about 5 seconds to be replaced in 10 seconds with the noisiest engine on record. I then went into the house, changed clothes, got my towbar and towing "stuff", and proceeded to drive back to work. The truck was completely warmed up per the guage, but the truck would hardly move. 35mph was a chore.

If this is not normal, I need this fixed. The dealer, however believes I am paranoid and tells me anything just to placate me.

Old 01-06-2004, 01:43 PM
cdtruckn
Senior User
You have a problem, make them fix it.

Old 01-06-2004, 03:24 PM
Lariat
Senior User
Originally posted by jfralph
Yesterday, it was -36F, So I didn't even attempt to start it. Today, my other vehicle lost the charging system halfway to work, so I had to get the truck. Temp was about -24F, and the truck was plugged in. I turned key on and waited for glow plug light to go out, then waited for humming to stop. Turned truck off, and repeated 3 times. I then proceeded to attempt to start the truck. It didn't I repeated the above process two more times and it finally started. However, there was a noticable howl coming from under the hood, so I immediately shut it off. My thought was I had held the starter to long and the drive was engaged and stuck. So I restarted the truck and the howl returned. The howl went away in about 5 seconds to be replaced in 10 seconds with the noisiest engine on record. I then went into the house, changed clothes, got my towbar and towing "stuff", and proceeded to drive back to work. The truck was completely warmed up per the guage, but the truck would hardly move. 35mph was a chore.

If this is not normal, I need this fixed. The dealer, however believes I am paranoid and tells me anything just to placate me.
Umm, Take it into your dealer, park it in front of his bay doors, then go in the next morning(when it is suposed to be cold) and hand the keys to that IDIOT service manager and ask him politely to move it. When he can't get it going, ask him if he is becoming paranoid?
By the way, any raw fuel smell while trying to fire it up?

With my 93 IDI, the glow circuit went out, and with it plugged in, she would start easily at 0 F till I got her fixed. The PSD is supposed to start better than the IDI, so, you definately got a problem.
How long does the GPL stay lit? If it is only 2 or 3 seconds,(plugged in) glowplugs. Longer, then maybe the engine oil is thick enough that the pumps are having problems making pressure, as I said before. Understand something, WATER temperature raises much faster than OIL temperature, so even when the guage says fully warmend up, the oil may be far from it.
The howling noise is probably an indication of a turbo problem, IMHO.

Try a different dealer, if the above aproach doesn't work. Good luck.

Lariat

Quick Reply: Truck Won't Start, Cold Weather!!!