6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

Truck Won't Start, Cold Weather!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Outwest
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Had my 03 sitting for 5 days last week, not plugged in and temp never made it above -15F

I had the glow plugs cycle 2 times and it fired up within 3 secs of cranking. No issues.

I plugged it in last night just to see if it made a diff. I did not cycle the glow plugs and it Started no problem and warmed up in no time..I may plug it in more often

I think you have some real issue with the truck. What you are describing is NOT normal.

Old 01-06-2004, 05:19 PM
RJB1
Elder User
-10 last night, not plugged in fired up first try.

Take yours to the dealer and park it there overnight.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:40 PM
jfralph
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
this might be considered a "lame" question, but I don't really know the answer. I have always cycled the ignition with the WTS light. The truck however continues to hum. I assumed it was a fuel pump or such, now I am not sure. Is this the glow plugs running? If so, they run for about 3x as lont as the WTS light stays lit. Lately I have been cycling the ignition with the hum vs. the WTS light, and it seems to help a little. It did start at -20 after being plugged in, although it still struggled.

Old 01-09-2004, 06:20 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

was -12F this morning, truck fired right up with no plug in

Old 01-09-2004, 09:31 PM
Colorado-native
Senior User
The wait to start indicator does NOT in any way tell you how long the glow plugs are on.

The following is from a Ford Motor Company DVD manual:

Glow Plug Control Module
The Glow Plug system is composed of a solid state Glow Plug Control Module (GPCM), glow plugs and the associated wiring harness. The glow plug on-time is controlled by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) and is a function of oil temperature, barometric pressure and battery voltage. The PCM enables the GPCM which drives the individual glow plugs. Glow plug on-time normally varies between 1 to 120 seconds.

Glow Plug Indicator Lamp
On-time normally varies between 1 to 10 seconds
Wait to Start indication is independent of glow plug relay on-time as the glow plug system can stay on after the indicator goes off.

Old 01-12-2004, 08:54 AM
jfralph
Elder User
Thank you Colorado native. Now the next question. Is the humming noise related to the glow plugs or some other system? It usually quits in about 2 minutes on cold days.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:42 PM
Colorado-native
Senior User
jfralph,
I was also curious about the buzzing sound so I turned the key to on and timed it at about 40 degrees today. It always came on for exactly 20 seconds each time I turned the key off and then on. Then I had to go to a meeting and after that, I timed it hot and it was still 20 sec. It sounded like the fuel pump in the HFCM. I then pulled the fuel pump fuse and - No More Buzz. There may be a temperature sensitive time for the fuel pump to cycle when first starting up since yours is on for about 2 min when it's cold. I will check it the next time we have a cold spell.

Another strange thing I found is that the Starter Relay in the fuse box clicks just after the fuel pump shuts off. Without ever turning the key to start.
I have no idea what that might be about, but I can very distinctly hear it and I can feel that it is that specific relay.

This all reminds me of the old story of how we would have to operate our vehicles if Microsoft built them.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:14 PM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

is the noise the fuel pump?

Old 01-12-2004, 06:14 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
As I read this thread, I sure hope users in cold weather areas are using common sense and reading their owners manual??

1) In extreme temps (before next oil chnage) then a lighter weight (diesel approved) oil should be used. The injectors use the oil to operate and fire... heavy oil is "heavy" and will not flow to lube the engine (or injectors)

2) Diesel #1 or #2 should be used with additional winter/ani-gel additive to raise cetane level and prevent gelling. Remember, on the new 6.0L PSD, you have 2 filters that potentially can plug up (versus 1 on the 7.3 PSD).

3) Plugging in helps where available (don't have extreme cold experience to pass along).... couldn't hurt if the above poits are followed.

Good luck... hope this info helps.

Thanks,

Old 01-12-2004, 06:22 PM
Beachbumcook
Got Diesel?
Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
Forgot to add above that the December flash was to correct or improve cold starts and/or high altitude cold starts and operation.

Good luck.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:31 PM
WigWag
Senior User
Sounds strange. I left mine unplugged for four days in -4F to -20F weather and it started up no problem. I have 0W-40 oil in it. Runs fine. I like the suggestion of parking it at the dealer overnight. Not a bad idea if you coordinate with them first.

WigWag

Old 01-12-2004, 06:39 PM
Colorado-native
Senior User
Originally posted by King Ranch
is the noise the fuel pump?
I didn't crawl under the truck, but when I pulled the FP fuse, the noise quit, then noise was there again when I put the fuse back in. It's fuse #40 if you want to try it.

Old 01-13-2004, 03:49 AM
King Ranch
Laughing Gas

your not suppose to use additive in the 6.0L as per Ford. That noise might be the filter bypass pump, it turns on if the fuel filter becomes plugged from the fuel gelling.If you read the 6.0L manual it will explain this process it also states not to let your fuel go below a 1/4 of a tank or the bypass won't work.The bypass only works untill the heated filter is warm enough to let the fuel pass through the filter.Check out the manual under cold condition starting.

Old 01-13-2004, 10:49 AM
jfralph
Elder User
In reply to beachbumcook:

1) Just a little note, I asked about the lighter viscosity oil for winter use, and ford said forget it. They do not recommend any oil except Ford, and they dont carry it. (CI rated pure dino)

2) I use #2 with an anti gel/injector cleaner/cetane enhancer additive. A highly recommended product from the big boys. (Diesel Pep Artic with ATT by Texas Refinery Corp.)

3) I plug in when possible. Not practible when extension cord needs to be in excess of 200'. Really not practicle when distances to plug in are measured in miles.

4) December flash is going to happen soon, reason for hold off, truck was reflashed on 12/12/03. Dealer did not install new flash. New flash does not necisarilly address my issues. Dealer did say he thought it couldn't hurt.

Dealer asked me if I had had enough, and questioned me if I would like to invoke the lemon law. My comment is I would hold off, wait until we see what they come up with, and then if issues continue, I would consider it some time next year. My concerns are: I have added a lot of extras that cost $$$. I lose those investments on a new truck. The 04's are operating on the same flashes I am. If it is not working on my truck, what guarantee it will work on 04. Some of my problems may be in the conditions I operate in, i.e. high elevation, and cold climate.