1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Chassis Engineering Inc – Bolt In MII IFS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2003, 07:33 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chassis Engineering Inc – Bolt In MII IFS

Chassis Engineering now makes a Bolt-in MII IFS for the 48 – 52 F1.
Has anyone used this Kit yet?
Anyone have any experience with Chassis Engineering Products, What’s the quality of their product, fit & finish Etc.

Yes I know I’m a “Almost Stocker” and may have mentioned a few things about those that go to the Dark Side, but this sounds interesting. No cuts – No welding.
It uses stock components with strut rods; the crossmember is only two inches wider than stock and the rack come with spacers to accommodate that. It uses Granada Disks.

Since this is about MII there may be some of those Chrysler types that will have some remarks about this, but I think the rest of use could have a good debate.

Old 12-17-2003, 07:46 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Received 123 Likes on 94 Posts
Dick

So tell us a little more about this. Did you see a vision last night? A palm reader told you to do it perhaps? It was alien crop formations for me.

A few more details are in order. Let's start with why?

1. You want power steering, brakes, improved handling and ride.

2. You have to lower it because otherwise you'll be too feeble to get in when the truck is complete?

3. Or is this charade a futile attempt to be more like 'fenders, RMF, John and the gang?

Old 12-17-2003, 08:00 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
3. You guys are my heros but Chryslers are zeros

2. I'm Older Than Dirt and Fartin' Dust and lower will be easier with a walker.

1. No Power, It is against the law to hang anything like that on a Flatmotor, I do want reliable brakes (It's getting difficult to see very far.) I'l go for "different handling and ride.

0. The only thing "carved in stone" is my Birth Certificate.

Old 12-17-2003, 08:16 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
3. You guys are my heros but Chryslers are zeros

Ooh, I felt that one. Finally a thread with some potential. Been a little slow around here lately. I'll shut up for a minute so you can engage in meaningful discussion with the boys. When you are done paying your Ex-stocker boy penance, I'll ride up to CE and give the MII clip a Charmin Squeeze for ya if you get serious about buying it.

I'll leave you with this thought. If it's bolt-in, it damn well better be precision fit.

Later

Old 12-19-2003, 07:22 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
When you are done paying your Ex-stocker boy penance, I'll ride up to CE and give the MII clip a Charmin Squeeze for ya if you get serious about buying it
Fenders

Thanks, and won't that be an excellent chance for an up close look at your next swap.

Old 12-19-2003, 07:23 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
The reasoning behind this question. (If you can understand it please explain it to me.)
When I found my 48 Panel I had no intention of buying it for myself, I was going to use it to trade for parts and pieces for a 46 Ford Coupe, that is still sitting out back. After getting the Panel home I began to tinker, poke and prod, as is normal, I did a little on-line research and discovered I had a pretty unique vehicle in my possession. (Momma also said it was cool but I had to pick one or the other to finish and then get her a Studebaker Starlight Coupe.).
Decision made keep the Panel, now what to do with it. Big engine – no the Flatmotor is too cool. Radical Body mods – no it’s too unique. Safety upgrades – Disks (non-power) upfront. Drivability – 9” out back and a C-4/C-6 behind the Flatmotor (NOTE: I have a muscle condition that makes in-town operation of a clutch difficult.) And finally Suspension – Convert to an IFS system up front. It was at this point that I found the FTE site while researching what IFS was available for the 48-50 F1. After much research, questions and deep thought I decided to stay with the Stock suspension, and upgrade the steering with a different box and the bearing style Kingpins. The reason for staying with the stock suspension was that anything that I would consider required substantial cutting of the frame, and I just won’t do that. (It’s an Ole’ Fart thing.)
I recently found the suspension package that Chassis Engineering put together for the F1’s that is bolt in, requires no cutting of the frame and uses strut rods, which I believe should be used with a MII system. So now once again I am in a new state of “What to do with the Old Truck flux”.
The Panel is a long term therapy project, currently the original suspension has been removed, and I have not spent any funds for the parts to repair/upgrades that I had planned.
Why change suspension? I guess that’s the real question here.
For the MII folks – Has the ride and handling noticeably improved? Have any of you done the swap with a manual rack and how does it work.
For the rest – Lock, Load and commence firing, I am in full body armor.

Thanks

Old 12-19-2003, 09:27 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Where the Hell is Niolon.

Yo Johnny,

This man is asking for MII input. PennDick ain't getting any younger you know. You got 24 hours to help him out before we get out the paint pen and start drawing Volare notches in his frame rails.

Old 12-19-2003, 05:14 PM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Come to the Darkside.

My Mus II IFS kit (weld on) arrived yesterday. I can feel the Darkside.

Yeah if you bolt it on you really won't be a Darksider. Yeah that's it. You'll stil be OK. It will still be almost original.

Come to the Darkside.

Last edited by darkman; 12-19-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-21-2003, 07:45 AM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
Re: Where the Hell is Niolon.

Originally posted by fatfenders
Yo Johnny,

This man is asking for MII input. PennDick ain't getting any younger you know. You got 24 hours to help him out before we get out the paint pen and start drawing Volare notches in his frame rails.

I've put out an APB on Niolon. Guess we can proceed Dick. You'll need to round up a gas axe (or a hack saw) and a donor clip. Go to the yard and try to find a good one. The 76 1/2 Volare Roadrunner R/T Super Comp Bicentennial Police edition is the one to own.

You're going to need instructions since you're a torsion bar idiot. RMF and I are planning to do a re-make of "The Volare Movie" We tossed the idea around and then finally decided to do the install naked, but we're not sure if it will sell. Let me know when you're ready to view it and we'll send an advance copy.

Old 12-21-2003, 07:57 AM
darkman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
John is currently enjoying his family who is visiting with him which includes his grandson so he will be a little busy for awhile. Just like Arnold He'll be back!!!!

Feel the strength of the Darkside. Come to the Darkside!

Oopppss Sorry 4Spd I get a little carried away at times. Must be that scweet crossmember in the middle of my living room. I couldn't stand to let it spend a cold night in the garage by itself.

If y'all do it naked you can be sure that everyone will stare at your crossmember......er....that doesn't sound quite right oh well I think you know what I'm talking about they'll pay attention to your project.

Last edited by darkman; 12-21-2003 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-21-2003, 09:05 AM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
You're going to need instructions since you're a torsion bar idiot. RMF and I are planning to do a re-make of "The Volare Movie" We tossed the idea around and then finally decided to do the install naked, but we're not sure if it will sell. Let me know when you're ready to view it and we'll send an advance copy.
Fenders
For the Video to work you'll have to travel to RMF's place in Canada. The horrible picture that your post produced in my mind was someting along the lines of a cross between "The McKenzie Brothers" and Monty Python's "I'm a Monty" skit, Ya know Reeeel Uguly. Also up there in "The Great White North", doing it naked would make it a true Blue Movie.

Oh. and the part about me being a "torsion bar idiot", ain't that what them there Morparts use?

Old 12-21-2003, 11:06 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 731 Likes on 261 Posts
pay attention Fenders..

Dick is asking for driving experience comments and handling remarks...

someone must have lowered the turrent on one of your tanks and you walked by and hit your widdle head... Mine is still up on jackstands.. so I can only offer this...

While sitting in my truck as it is raised prominently on OSHA approved jackstands , the truck rides and handles like a dream.. as I cruise thru the countryside of my mind, the Heidt's Mustang II IFS ( with owner installed design modifications/improvements) hugs the winding road like an expensive E-U-ropean sports car costing tens of thousands more dollars. The response to steering changes are quick and on the mark and the F-100 corners like it's on rails with unmeasurable body roll. My martini never even sways in the crystal glass sitting comfortably in my mental custom console ( I don't drink while I'm on jackstands... it's just an aestetic addition to the daydream.) During the surburban trip I'm challanged by several smaller and seemingly more agile vehicles... mustangs... cobras and an occasional beemer... most of which fall sadly short in comparison to my truck and with much embarrasment back off in defeat. One less than intelligent pursuer actually resides in a corn field now after attempting what is an easy 90 degree turn for my Effie with the MII suspension. He overestimated his ability to match driving expertise with me and my smooth riding F-100 and it's beautifully installed front suspension...

I have to slide to an emergency stop (60-0 in 125') when an unseen UPS truck pulls in front of me... actually he pulled up in the driveway and I have to get out of the truck to prevent looking like the fool I am...

Sorry Dick... all the driving comments will have to wait a year or so... come to the darkside... do the MII and feel like a man !!!
It will add length and girth to your self esteem... don't delay... ORDER TODAY !!!

John (cool enough to "garage drive")

I hope all of you have a Very Merry Christmas with family, friends and loved ones around you.. May your stocking be stuffed with truck parts and your S.O. begging you to spend more time in the garage... she knows how much you need it...

Seasons Greetings.. from beautiful Hueytown, Ala

john

Old 12-21-2003, 12:40 PM
fatfenders
Post Fiend
pay attention Fenders..
Dick is asking for driving experience comments and handling remarks...

I realize that John. Dick isn't getting much MII feedback here and you have ridden/driven MII equipped F100s before. Since when do you have to have all the facts to post an opinion here? I don't think that's in our forum Constitution. I just thought you might comment on the handle/ride characteristic.

BTW, your story was very entertaining. Just wait until you get the engine running. Revving up the engine really adds that Microsoft X-box multi-media realism to the whole garage driving experience. Add a window fan and you're there.

Old 12-21-2003, 06:47 PM
ferguson777
Posting Guru
Penn Dick (et all) {fancy talk for "everybody/anybody/Ya'll"}

Sorry, been a little distracked lately. Hope I'm not too late!

1. If this truck is mean't primarily as therapy then you may as well sell her now. The only thing that would cure you is SHOCK therapy. About 800 volts, at least.

2. Speaking of shock therapy......If 'fenders and myself were to proceed with the "Volare Install - Part Deux", we'll have to wait for spring or film it in the U.S.A. It's true that with the 30 percent exchange factor, it's very attractive making movies in Canada versus the U.S. However (and while I have recently admitted in a different thread that my go-nads are a little larger than average {so it must be true}), it's winter up here. It's cold as he__! There's no way I'm doing any naked movies when the temperature is such that shrinkage would be induced. For you folks that are into visuals - I'd be the one with the big go-nads and the toque, eh! (Welding in the buff does scare me though)

3. Are we sure that Penn Dick is cool enough to become a Darksider? We don't let just anybody in! Oh yah, we do. Never mind Dick, you can join us......not that we need all the freinds we can get, or anything like that though.

4. Given you are as old as dirt, I think you should simply modify the stock suspension with discs and the Toyota box. It would be quicker than doing an MII - even a bolt on. Less chance of you dying of old age before it was done. Or worse, getting Oldtimers in the middle of the project and forgetting which way you decided to go. BWAH, HA,HA........

Since I have to say one serious thing in this post to put down the folks that think all I ever do is kibitz (not even legal in Ontario), let me just say -

I think you should go Toyota box and power discs on your stock front end. Not sure I can properly explain why, but I just think it's a better choice for you and your perspective/attitude.

Don't worry about us. We'll find tons of other things to humiliate you about, without the bolt on MII ordeal.

Naked with a toque - remember that!

Old 12-21-2003, 07:07 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
I think it SHOULD be filmed in Canabis now. The two of you trying to explain how to properly do something technical needs two little Smuff like blue dudes in it, even if one is wearing a toque.
NOTE: to those of you living South of the Canadian Border, a "toque" is a knit sock hat with earflaps, its a Canadian thing eah! fershur

EDIT: Oh the Truck stuff, thanks for your input, late as it is.

Quick Reply: Chassis Engineering Inc – Bolt In MII IFS