2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 F-150 Rear Wheel Well Undercoating

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 10:39 PM
wbhiggins
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 F-150 Rear Wheel Well Undercoating

The 2004 F-150 (and perhaps other recent models) have neither a plastic wheel well shroud nor undercoating in the rear wheel wells. Water, slush, road salt, stones, etc. flying off of the rear tire inpinge directly against the box metal. While it is galvanized metal, the paint job looks more like overspray than an intentional coat of paint. Galvanized metal constantly eroded by road debris will corode eventually. And any larger stones that might fly up could dent the wheel well visibly from the top side. Also, there is a spot welded sheet metal joint between the wheel well and the sidewall of the box directly above the tire. This seam, which has imperfections you can slide a credit card into, seems like a perfect spot for road salt to collect.

It seems reasonable that some sort of non-hardening undercaoting at least would extend the corrosion life of the box by reducing erosion damage caused by sand and gravel impinging the uncoated metal and salt collecting in the seam.

I asked my dealer about undercoating and he said his dealership no longer recommends it and in fact no longer offers the service even if I insisted. After discussing it a bit more he said he understood my logic for asking the question and finally said I should contact Ford directly because it does seem to him to make sense that if I want my box to last longer than the five-year corrision warranty, perhaps undercoating would be a good idea, especially in that weld seam. But he couldn't say for sure if undercoating I apply would affect my corrision warranty, which would be ironic.

Anyone have any experience with this issue? A definitive word from Ford would be helpful but I suspect very hard to obtain.

My 1993 F-150 did not have this feature as I recall.

Old 12-10-2003, 12:34 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
When I bought my truck, the dealer had a rep there from Protec. The rep showed me the interior protection, exterior paint protection, undercoating, and spray-in bed liner. I bought the entire package. I love the spray-in bed liner. The undercoating is awesome. It actually sharpened up the looks of the truck. The rear axle was also covered with the undercoating. My old truck didn't have undercoating and the rear axle looked like total crap by the time I had 80K miles on it. On this truck, it will be black forever; no rust. I would recommend undercoating to everyone getting the new '04 F-150, especially because of the fenderwell not having anything on it but paint.

Old 12-10-2003, 09:06 PM
aldridgec
Logistics Pro
Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Undercoat it.

However, you say its only "painted" as if others actually have some sort of protection. Most boxes I've seen don't have anymore than a light coat of paint in the wells. Some have a splash guard to the front or rear, but not much more.

Because of the MM Act they would have to PROVE that the undercoating CAUSED the corrosion. Since most undercoatings have their own warranty, I don't see how anyone could prove that. Get it done, there is no reason not to. Just make sure they do a good job. Mine wasn't very good, they got it all over the engine fan and the back of the grille, but missed a lot of spots underneath. I went back with spray can undercoating and touched it up and had to clean off my grille and fan.

Old 12-11-2003, 07:42 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
Sully04 F150 4x4
let me ask you!! How much did all that cost !!

And how long did it take them to do!!

Any kind of warranty on the PROTEC ????

Old 12-11-2003, 08:31 AM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
Originally posted by jogmark3
Sully04 F150 4x4
let me ask you!! How much did all that cost !!

And how long did it take them to do!!

Any kind of warranty on the PROTEC ????

Well, the undercoating, interior protection, rust through protection, and exterior paint protection was originally $1,195. Then he told me the spray-in bedliner would be $600. I told him that I could get the spray-in bedliner for $400. So, he said, tell you what, you buy the entire package, and I'll do the bedliner for $400 and all the other protection for $995. So, I got the whole thing done for $1,395. Pretty damn good deal I thought, compared to the $1,795 that it would have cost.

They had the truck for only 1 day and got it all done. They did an excellent job.

I can't remember the warranty exactly, but I'll do my best from memory.

The interior, undercoating, and exterior paint protection warranty is 5 years, i believe. I don't remember the specifics of this one, but if I get surface rust within 5 years, they'll fix it for free. If any of the interior gets torn, or wore bad, they'll replace it for free. Also, with the exterior paint protection, he said that I never have to wax the truck. He said I can if I want, but I don't HAVE to.

The rust through protection is 10 years. I do remember this one for sure. If I was to get a rust hole within 10 years, they'll fix it for free.

The bedliner has a lifetime warranty. They'll fix any damages to the bedliner for as long as I own the truck, for free.

The first scratch I get, they'll fix for free. The first dent I get, they'll fix for free.

I highly recommend Protec. Do NOT go to Ziebart. They make you go through a yearly inspection that you have to pay for, and the inspection cost goes up every year. Protec does not make you go through an inspection, ever. Plus, Protec gave me a bunch of coupons, for example, huge discount on a detail, huge discount on interior cleaning, etc...

Last edited by Sully04 F150 4x4; 12-11-2003 at 08:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2003, 08:51 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
Do you have a web site for them

Im in Jersey I wounder if they'll do that out here!!

Old 12-11-2003, 09:29 AM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
I'll see what I can find and let you know.

Old 12-11-2003, 10:56 AM
jogmark3
Junior User
Thanks a million!!

Old 02-25-2004, 10:58 PM
allstarsigs
New User
Undercoating

I live in Ohio and have some questions. I have an 04 and was thinking of the undercoating. Does it void the factory warranty? Also what was the name of the company that did it so I can call them to get it done.

Old 02-26-2004, 12:15 AM
CruelCrew
Senior User
My last Jeep had galvanized wheel wells, with no wheel well protection or rust proof. It went 12 years without a hint of rust. Probably still fine.

Old 02-26-2004, 01:34 PM
grayflare
Junior User
I went down to Walmart and bought 2 cans ob spray-in bed liner. Sanded the area in the wheelwell cleaned then sprayed per instructions. I think it looks great and shouldnt have to worry about it ever again. By the way I also taped the area off to keep overspray off.

Old 02-26-2004, 03:33 PM
Sully04 F150 4x4
Senior User
Re: Undercoating

Originally posted by allstarsigs
I live in Ohio and have some questions. I have an 04 and was thinking of the undercoating. Does it void the factory warranty? Also what was the name of the company that did it so I can call them to get it done.
No, it does not void factory warranty at all.

I just talked to the guy today that I went through to get it done. He said that anybody can call him directly on his cell phone at 614-306-2906 or at the dealership at 614-889-7777 and ask for him. His name is Mark Nupauf. He said that if you call him, he will work with you to get you in the right direction. He will even work with out-of-state customers. Give him a call and let him know that I (Mike Sullivan) sent you. I do not get any incentive for referring you, but you might get a better deal because of the referral.