1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

Intermittent Wipers (and not the good kind)

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2003, 12:47 AM
DanMartin
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Intermittent Wipers (and not the good kind)

Hey all!

OK, so it's raining like heck here in Oregon right now. I'm out driving the truck through this muck, and the wipers just stop on me as I'm driving...yow! I wait for a second, and as the winshield fills up with water.....nothing happens.

So, as I'm on the freeway doing 60, I have to do something...so I grab the wiper selector and click it down a notch on the speed...and the wipers come back...for a few minutes. They stopped again in the same way, so I flipped them back on to high, and they started again...for a while. I turned them back down to the lowest setting and they stayed on for the rest of the trip OK.

Voltage and everything was just fine FYI.

I'm thinking it's a switch problem, but I'd like to know if anyone else has seen this type of thing before, and if so what was your solution?

Thanks in advance...

Dan Martin
86 F350 Crew Cab Dually.

Old 12-06-2003, 01:00 PM
dashashopdog
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
sounds like a wiper motor. they are famed for problems on the early fords, mine currently will not shut off. had to install a toggle switch to shut the power off. tired of replacing it, it is my third one, its even under warranty. my first one did like yours did, run great, then just shut off. move the selector speed and it would work for a while. then it would shut off again, i would repeat it and it would work. after a little diag, i found that the resistor was heating up and shutting power off. i would get a copy off the factory ford manual, and pin it out before replacing any components though. let me know if you cant find one and i will help walk you through it.. Kurt

Old 12-06-2003, 01:35 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
dashashopdog,

Thanks for the great info. I do not have access to the Ford shop manual yet (I have a Chilton, which is good for most things).

Where is the resistor physically located? Swapping it out with a higher wattage one should fix the problem, right?

Dan

Old 12-06-2003, 01:42 PM
dashashopdog
Senior User
ok you have int wiper? nextis it doing it on hi and low speed? and do you have acess to a fax machine? i can sent you the pages for diag if i cant walk you through it, but my flat bed is bad so i cant e mail it.. Kurt

Old 12-06-2003, 02:43 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
dashashopdog,

Thanks again for the quick reply.

I do have a fax machine at my work that you could shoot it to if you like. If you shoot me an offline email I'll give you the number.

Thanks a ton for doing this. Wipers are life here in Oregon.

Dan

Old 12-06-2003, 05:37 PM
love2fixit
Junior User
If you have intermittent wipers it could be the delay box. I had similar problem. Replaced the delay box and never had problem again.

Old 12-06-2003, 08:10 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
love2fixit,

Thanks for the info. Did you replace yours with a new part? If so, how much did it cost (aprox), and was the replacement difficult?

Dan

Old 12-06-2003, 10:53 PM
dashashopdog
Senior User
if it does it on high speed then i doubt it is the wiper delay box. that is bypassed on high speed. Kurt

Old 12-06-2003, 10:59 PM
redneckdieselmechanic
Senior User
Ive always had problems with the int wipers. Had em when i first bought the truck but have weeded most of em out. First one the intermittent wipers wouldnt work only lo/hi and it wouldnt park by itself. Noticed when i would hit the dash by the wiper where the delay box was it would click and work sometimes. firgured it was a loose conneciton inside somewhere so replaced it with a junkyard unit. Worked for a while then the wipers stopped completely and the box would click and get hot. Took apart the wiper motor and it had bad windings. Replaced it, no more problems for now.

Old 12-06-2003, 11:02 PM
dashashopdog
Senior User
dan tried to email you didn't know if you got it. ready to fax when you are... Kurt

Old 12-06-2003, 11:46 PM
DanMartin
Senior User
Sorry for the delay on the reply....your email was caught by one of my email filters and I didn't see it until just now.

Dan

Old 12-07-2003, 08:51 AM
love2fixit
Junior User
DanMartin,

I had to replace it with onefrom a junk yard. About 25 bucks.

Old 12-18-2003, 07:22 AM
BigCrzyRdNeck
Senior User
love2fixit where is this delay box remember its not a chevy here where talking about

Old 12-18-2003, 07:24 AM
BigCrzyRdNeck
Senior User
to everybody who don't know if you have a intermittent wipers make sure you get a switch for one and a motor for one or it still won't work.

Old 12-18-2003, 08:29 AM
love2fixit
Junior User
The delay box on my truck was right under the switch for the wipers. Black box about 3 inches. The wiper wires plug into it then right out of the box it goes right into the switch. And yes the switch needs to be one for delay wipers too. They are different.