1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

The beast has arrived!

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2003, 03:16 AM
Cat in the Hat
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The beast has arrived!

Greetings all- very glad to find this forum-

I just got a 1992 E-350 Super Club Wagon (extended) today for my small business- it's in real good condition, reasonable miles, 5.8L, E4OD, LS 3.54. (see how much I already learned from you guys??!!) I've been looking for one for some time. It was a former Exxon company van in LA- I hope they believe in good fleet service!

I have all the bench seats out, and will be doing mobile boat services out of it. It drives great, smoother than I expected, really. I'm interested to compare mileage & performance with the rest of you. I've had Chevy & Chrysler full size vans before, but this is my first Ford...

2 questions so far:

-How hard is it to replace the front heater blower motor? Mine only runs when the switch is on full, and then it sounds like a cement mixer...

-Is there a slip-in (Ford?) replacement for the AM/FM radio that will let me play CD's?

Thanks in advance- will reciprocate when possible!

Old 12-09-2003, 01:38 PM
nuts4hotwheels
Senior User
--Front heater blower was easy on my 1988 E-150. There are 4 screws holding on. The hardest part was moving all of the air hoses and filter box out of the way. It took about 30 minutes total.

--You can use just about any cd head unit, but you will need an expensive mounting bracket (about $10).

Old 12-09-2003, 04:23 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No mounting bracket needed, the radio comes with a ring that just barely fits in the hole in the dash, slide in in and press the tabs out that will fit and hold it securely, just remember to save the radio removal tools that come with the aftermarket radio so you can get it back out.

Old 12-13-2003, 07:47 AM
paradiddle
Senior User
I got a Pioneer CD player at Walmart for about $130. It took a little hassle getting the old one out. (single DIN). You may need to buy some special hooks to pull out . It didn't work for me. I pulled the dash cover off and used a small screwdriver to disconnect the metal tabs. You will aslo need a wiring adapter to connect to the factory harness.

Old 12-14-2003, 02:10 AM
Cat in the Hat
New User
Thanks for all the great ideas! I'm ordering the blower & looking around at radio/CD players...

The van is doing great so far; drives real smooth, no brake or steering vibrations at all; engine & trans are quiet and strong.

I discovered there is a rain leak that keeps the padding under the back mat wet, and there's some light rust around the edges of the floor- as soon as we get a weather break here, I'm pulling it all out & checking it carefully...

Cheers- Cat

Old 12-16-2003, 10:41 AM
kejace
New User
Cat -

I just picked up a 99 E350 XLT 15-passenger, and I am pleasantly surprised with the ride and comfort.

I had a soggy carpet by the rear doors, and my wife was convinced the doors were leaking. After riding around in the rain one day, I saw water running down inside the rear pillars; it came out where the 3-point belts were anchored and ran outside the plastic panel to the floor.

I traced the leak back to the 3rd brake light up on the roof. Some idiot drove the van under a low overhang and dented the roof just enough to break the seal around the lamp. I pulled the lamp out and laid down a thick bead of silicone automotive sealant, stuffed the lamp back in, and now enjoy a nice dry carpet.

Good luck!

KJ

Old 12-20-2003, 04:26 PM
Cat in the Hat
New User
Thanks for the tip on the top brake light, KJ-

We finally got a break in the soggy SFO weather, and I pulled that top light off- the gasket looked suspect, so I silicone sealed it. Then I also sealed the tops of the rear 2 windows on each side (mine's an extended)- I noticed that the headliner edges got wet there.

It seems to have solved the problem- rain's back, but the leaks are gone! Now to pull out that vinyl mat & the old padding- it holds water like a sponge. I'll treat and coat the bed, then put a new mat down. I'll pull the windows out in spring and do the seals right then.

This thing really drives and runs nice- I'm impressed! No crashing or banging when lightly loaded like the Dodges & Chevy 1 tons I've had - real smooth. Those of you worried about driving something this big should try one out- it's a pleasant surprise. Makes the decision to get the 3/4 or 1 ton easier when they ride nice.

Cheers- Cat

Old 12-20-2003, 09:41 PM
Leo_T
Senior User
Hey Cat,

I had a fan motor making noise, turned out someone left a small comb on the dash..slipped into defroster slots, and ended up making the noise. Also the lower speeds on the fan motors went through a resister to get the lower speeds. I think you can buy them seperate, I fixed mine by cleaning the contacts on the fan assembly. It was an 85, might be different. Just thought I'd throw it out since I had the prob. U might want to change it out anyway.

Luck