Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

Stuck in 4WD?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2003, 04:27 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stuck in 4WD?

I have a 97 Explorer XLT automatic transmission. I think I am stuck in 4WD although there are no lights displayed on the dash, the symptoms are as follows: when turning the steering wheel in any direction in full lock, eg pulling into park, there is a lot of noise and I need to give it more gas to keep moving forward in full lock. The same happens in reverse. Any help and ideas would be appreciated. I live and work in the Middle East and don't trust the skills of my local dealer.

Old 12-03-2003, 05:52 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
sounds like the hubs are not disengaging...

Old 12-03-2003, 06:44 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
My Ford dealer in Oman is telling me that the problem is something to do with the transfer case. Your reply ie something to do with the hubs, seems to make more sense to me, is there some way to confirm that it is the hubs that are not disengaging? Thanks for the reply

Old 12-03-2003, 08:25 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
On reflection!! I got stuck in deep sand last week, when I changed down to 4WD Lo the lights showed that I was in 4wd lo, I put the shift into (D) and applied the gas slowly and was going nowhere, Put the shift back to (N) and repeated the process this time "puting the pedal to the metal" It Jumped out of the hole I was in with a clunk, the above symptoms appeared after this event , I guess I never noticed due to the fact that I didn't have to dig it out. does this throw any more light on the subject.

Thanks

Old 12-03-2003, 09:10 AM
Cm snipe
Freshman User
Originally posted by nosbor
On reflection!! I got stuck in deep sand last week, when I changed down to 4WD Lo the lights showed that I was in 4wd lo, I put the shift into (D) and applied the gas slowly and was going nowhere, Put the shift back to (N) and repeated the process this time "puting the pedal to the metal" It Jumped out of the hole I was in with a clunk, the above symptoms appeared after this event , I guess I never noticed due to the fact that I didn't have to dig it out. does this throw any more light on the subject.

Thanks
that clunk noise usually tells you, you are in 4x4low.ive noticed in mine if you just turn the car on an try it it wont.but if i drive for 30 feet then (N) shift to 4x4 then shift to (D) ill hear the clunk.but if you heard the clunk after you slammed the gas you possibly just f'ed something up.if no lights are on you prolly wont be able to get a code for a problem.just have to manually find out what happened

Old 12-03-2003, 11:00 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
Is problem still present??

Old 12-03-2003, 11:36 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
Yes the problem is still present, it's just that the Ford dealer is giving me conflicting opinions on what exactly the problem is.

Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 AM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
With the console showing in 4x2, raise frt wheels and see if frt drive shaft turns or other frt wheel turns, they should be free....

Old 12-03-2003, 12:07 PM
nosbor
Freshman User
Sorry could you give me the idiot's guide to doing this, I'm technically challenged!!! Do you mean jack up both front wheels and put the car into gear ie not 4wd high or low and the result of this should be exactly what? Apologies again for my incompetence.

Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 PM
emtabmm
Posting Guru
WITH ENGINE OFF in neutral with wheels chocked/blocked, raise frt of truck so both frt tires are off ground, both should spin freely, if not you have a bad lockout, truck should be in 4x4 high

Old 12-03-2003, 02:49 PM
Cm snipe
Freshman User
4x4 high?? i thought with auto explorers it only goes 4x2,4x4 auto and 4x4low

Old 12-04-2003, 12:13 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
Hi
Normal road conditions day to day driving it's in, 4wd auto

Shallow snow, ice and sand, 4wd Hi

Deep snow and sand, 4wdLo

Old 12-04-2003, 03:08 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
Originally posted by emtabmm
WITH ENGINE OFF in neutral with wheels chocked/blocked, raise frt of truck so both frt tires are off ground, both should spin freely, if not you have a bad lockout, truck should be in 4x4 high
Puzzled Individually, wheels rotate freely, when I rotated one wheel the other wheel turned in the opposite direction, bizzare, so got wife to hold one wheel while attempting to rotate other and wheels do not move, Is this what should happen or am I in trouble?

Old 12-04-2003, 03:11 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
Puzzled Individually, wheels rotate freely, when I rotated one wheel the other wheel turned in the opposite direction, bizzare, so got wife to hold one wheel while attempting to rotate other and wheels do not move, Is this what should happen or am I in trouble?

Old 12-05-2003, 02:07 AM
nosbor
Freshman User
what's the next step guys???????

Quick Reply: Stuck in 4WD?