6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

Ebay internal catch cans?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2024, 10:05 AM
Myteedog
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ebay internal catch cans?

Hey first off I did search for this but all I found was threads on actual SPE brand not the knockoffs. So I am sorry if I didn't search the right terms. Does anyone have experience with the knockoff catch cans on eBay? I am willing to spend the money for a real one but if they are any good I can put that savings toward more parts. Thank you

Old 05-23-2024, 02:00 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 350 Likes on 247 Posts
Old 05-23-2024, 04:39 PM
speakerfritz
Hotshot
Received 1,075 Likes on 828 Posts
Seems like a lot of these are being sold by various sellers.

but in general…I don’t personally believe that internal design is going to catch a lot of fluids and soot.

you need something like the racor ccv filter which can filter down to .3 microns and can hold a lot of fluids.

Old 05-23-2024, 08:11 PM
JoeUser
Pusher of String

Received 383 Likes on 265 Posts
It's not supposed to capture soot, if we're talking about this?

It's designed to condense oil vapor, to allow the liquid oil to return to the valve cover. And, judging by the non-existence of drips from the hose, it must be doing the job as designed.

It doesn't catch all the oil in the vapor, as there is a slight sheen that's collected on the nearby frame near the hose exit over time. But, that can be corrected by using an external can at the hose end.

IMO, the Chinese knock-off's are a gamble, as they're copies of the American-made product where money and time have been invested in design, production, and quality testing. Buying the knock-off doesn't reward innovation for newer products, but penalizes the creators. Also, to cut costs the Chinese likely drop the freshly-made product straight from the machine to the box, so you're likely getting an inferior product that may not fit properly and has bypassed QA completely...

The following 2 users liked this post by JoeUser:
Old 05-23-2024, 09:43 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 350 Likes on 247 Posts
There is a video on YouTube saying they don't really work.

Old 05-23-2024, 10:34 PM
kayakingpoodle
Tuned
Received 124 Likes on 89 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeUser
It's not supposed to capture soot, if we're talking about this?

It's designed to condense oil vapor, to allow the liquid oil to return to the valve cover. And, judging by the non-existence of drips from the hose, it must be doing the job as designed.

It doesn't catch all the oil in the vapor, as there is a slight sheen that's collected on the nearby frame near the hose exit over time. But, that can be corrected by using an external can at the hose end.

IMO, the Chinese knock-off's are a gamble, as they're copies of the American-made product where money and time have been invested in design, production, and quality testing. Buying the knock-off doesn't reward innovation for newer products, but penalizes the creators. Also, to cut costs the Chinese likely drop the freshly-made product straight from the machine to the box, so you're likely getting an inferior product that may not fit properly and has bypassed QA completely...
Same here, put one on my truck and no issues drips or problems.

Old 05-24-2024, 05:00 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,099 Likes on 1,428 Posts
The cheese grater is not a catch can, so don't know what they were expecting in that video. Unless they jammed a camera inside the valve cover, they wont know how effective it really is. OTOH the way a catch can works is by cooling and condensing the vapors and collecting them. To do this, first, the length of hose coming from the engine helps with cool down, second, is a vortice type design in the can, like fan blades to interrupt the airflow to start swirling the vapors so they can condense and be collected. When done right, the exit air will be vapor free.

If its not much more than an inline air/water separator, it wont do very much. Here's an example of what the internals should have https://www.improvedracing.com/ccs-o...separator.html

This one is for gas engines which don't produce as much oil vapor, more water than oil, so a diesel one should be a bit more aggressive in its design.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-25-2024, 06:18 AM
PSD2023
Trailering
Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
I have the SPE CCV re-route on my '23, no internal catch can. To me it appears it could add restriction to venting. Even without the internal catch can, I have no oil drips coming from the CCV hose. I'm happy with the SPE CCV re-route system.

The following users liked this post: