Newbie valuation questions -Third generation (1957–1960) Ford F-100

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2024, 12:32 PM
Milkacha
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Newbie valuation questions -Third generation (1957–1960) Ford F-100

Hello Ford Truck enthusiasts,

I'm a newbie seeking insights into the value of a third-generation (1957–1960) F-100. Specifically, I'm eyeing a locally available 1959 Ford F-100 Custom cab with a long bed. It's equipped with a 292.0 cu in, 4.8 L V8 engine and has newer (10 years old) two-tone paint job in Red and off-White, with no visible rust. While not a showpiece, the paint is in decent condition. It's fully operational, registered. Interior wise: has a newer bench seat, good headliner, along with functioning lights and gauges. The negotiated price stands at $6500, but I'm unsure if this is a fair deal or not.
Upon researching prices across various auction sites and classic car websites, I've noticed a considerable disparity, ranging from $5000 to $60,000 for late-fifties F-100 trucks. I understand that restoration quality can significantly influence pricing, but even among similar restoration standards, the pricing seems inconsistent. This leads me to believe that there might be specific factors unique to these trucks that dictate their value.
Could you kindly shed some light on the factory options or variations that make certain models more sought after? I'm aware of Flareside pickup, LWB Flareside pickup, Styleside pickup, Custom cab, etc., but I'm unsure if one holds more value than the others. Any advice or insights would be greatly appreciated.

Old 05-21-2024, 06:37 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Received 771 Likes on 689 Posts
Well, you could have saved a bunch of time with some pics. Then it is a question if it is worth it to you or not. Condition is more important than any particular feature in general.

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-21-2024, 09:41 PM
Milkacha
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The truck was sold before I had the opportunity to see it in person (I did a Facetime). Oh well. Thank you, Spurredon, for your input. I agree that condition is crucial. However, as mentioned in my initial post, I'm also interested in understanding which factory options and trim levels are highly desired.

Old 05-22-2024, 04:57 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Highly desired is not across the board. Personally, I like undisturbed original mode of trucks but there are many if not more that want to modify for various reasons, so the original options don't matter to them. Generically, I would think a custom cab and maybe a radio would raise the price over not. As I said, it all depends on what it is worth to you!

The following 2 users liked this post by spurredon:
Old 05-23-2024, 01:12 PM
manglass
More Turbo
Received 28 Likes on 24 Posts
I don't think the big differentiating feature for our truck is one or more of the available options. For sure; some people will have a preference for the wraparound rear window, others will insist on a 6 1/2 foot bed, while some prefer a particular year. I believe the most important thing to look for when buying a 57-60 Ford truck is rust. Some parts of the country will have no idea what I'm talking about here but I'm originally from the Northeast and I feel comfortable saying that these trucks started rusting out before they left the showroom! My truck was barely 5 years old when it received the first makeover of body rot. When I actually took it down to the frame, in the early 80's, it was really unsavable. I would have never done such extensive repair to any vehicle except that my dad was the original owner and it gives me a connection to him.

If you are shopping, look for the best body you can find. Look for minimal rust (shouldn't be too much of a problem in CA). If the vehicle has been repaired, or even repainted, someone should look it over very carefully to see where rust may have been repaired and how it was repaired. The folks on this forum can easily describe the preeminent rust spots, I repaired in all of them.

Lou Manglass

Old 05-23-2024, 05:46 PM
spurredon
Fleet Owner

Good advice Lou. If a person cannot do the work themselves, a rusty truck is not really the truck for them unless their pockets are much deeper than mine are.

Old 05-24-2024, 08:09 AM
Doug O
Mountain Pass
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
price sounds right for location

Milkacha,

Having bought my truck in AZ, the description and price you gave is about right. There in the SW, they are abundant and rust free. Where I live in the NE, that same truck is at least double, if it still exists. All that might be remaining here is some rubber.

Doug

Old 05-27-2024, 12:35 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,539 Likes on 1,448 Posts
Originally Posted by Milkacha
The truck was sold before I had the opportunity to see it in person (I did a Facetime). Oh well. Thank you, Spurredon, for your input. I agree that condition is crucial. However, as mentioned in my initial post, I'm also interested in understanding which factory options and trim levels are highly desired.
Given the fact the truck sold fairly quickly, someone felt the price was fair.

Running and driving well seems to be the biggest option that will give the most value. Not all of them have that. Level of restoration quality, if any, seems to come next. These trucks didn't have many options, and those are mostly important to guys doing a completely, show quality 100% stock restoration where having that last little detail is all important. People doing custom trucks may not care and throw away items others find desirable. Beyond that, it's all about finding a good solid truck that fits your idea of what you want your truck to be. You might consider picking up some dealer sales brochures to learn about the details the trucks may have come with. Study through those, as well as researching sale ads and you'll be an expert in no time.