Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Obd2 has power but no scanner can communicate

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2024, 09:25 PM
chad.r
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Obd2 has power but no scanner can communicate

As title says no data from obd2 port. When plugged in the scanner turns on so it’s got power but no codes show even with ses light on. Cigarette lighter works as well. I pulled obd2 port off the mount and there is a blue/yellow wire coming out of the harness that’s not attached to anything and port 3 on the obd2 plug has no pin in it. When I looked on another thread with a diagram it says there should be a wire to hole 3 for pvb diagnostics or something like that. Where can I get pins for the plug and is the blue/yellow wire supposed to be in hole 3? Pic for refere

nce

Old 05-15-2024, 10:09 PM
Eman85
Cross-Country
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts
Look like Metri-Pak connector, try NAPA or Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-15-2024, 11:01 PM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 581 Likes on 384 Posts
I have this pic of the connector and its wire colors from a post PaysonPSD made years ago. While the chart lists a signal for pin 3, it's an orange wire, not blue/yellow. I'm not sure it's actually loaded, if the picture is representative of our trucks.

I don't see a blue/yellow wire listed - unless it's light blue/white, and the white has yellowed? Also strange that there is a LB/WH wire in pin 7 and pin 16, yet they have different functions.

What scanner are you using?

Old 05-16-2024, 12:06 AM
BWST
Got Data?
Received 581 Likes on 384 Posts
Your question got me to wondering how my OBDII connector is wired. On my '01, I just have 7 pins loaded, with nothing in position 3. To add some confusion, pin 2 appears to be an orange wire, but is actually a TN/OG wire (tan/orange?)

Old 05-17-2024, 01:32 AM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Does the truck currently start and run? The only time I've ever had connection problems that weren't an OBD2 power issue, was a PCM power issue. Scanner can't talk to a PCM that isn't powered up. Don't know if it's even relevant just my experience.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:37 AM
chad.r
8th Gear
Originally Posted by BWST
I have this pic of the connector and its wire colors from a post PaysonPSD made years ago. While the chart lists a signal for pin 3, it's an orange wire, not blue/yellow. I'm not sure it's actually loaded, if the picture is representative of our trucks.

I don't see a blue/yellow wire listed - unless it's light blue/white, and the white has yellowed? Also strange that there is a LB/WH wire in pin 7 and pin 16, yet they have different functions.

What scanner are you using?
I’ve used my 35$ scanner napas scanner and stopped by the dealership that hooked up 3 different scanners and could get it to link.

Old 05-17-2024, 01:39 AM
chad.r
8th Gear
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Does the truck currently start and run? The only time I've ever had connection problems that weren't an OBD2 power issue, was a PCM power issue. Scanner can't talk to a PCM that isn't powered up. Don't know if it's even relevant just my experience.
truck starts and runs fine until the code gets thrown then after the lights been on a few seconds (it varies from :05-:30-10:00) it loses like half the block. Like I’ve got two cylinders.

Old 05-17-2024, 03:17 AM
udsuth78
Lead Driver

According to this diagram from the tech section there's only 3 wires between the PCM and the OBD2 connector and the V/O is the scan tool communication wire. Might be worth chasing it out or checking for continuity between the OBD2 and PCM connector.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:54 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 872 Likes on 636 Posts
Originally Posted by chad.r
truck starts and runs fine until the code gets thrown then after the lights been on a few seconds (it varies from :05-:30-10:00) it loses like half the block. Like I’ve got two cylinders.
Given this I'd look at the underside of the harness that goes to the 42 pin connector on the driver side. Can wear on the valve cover and cause shorts. See pic.

Also compare the wires on your DLC connector to the pics above. See if they are all there.

Old 05-18-2024, 08:12 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 866 Likes on 654 Posts
There will be no communication unless the ignition is switched on. It will power the scan tool, but the PCM is still turned off.

Old 05-18-2024, 12:22 PM
chad.r
8th Gear
Originally Posted by Kwikkordead
There will be no communication unless the ignition is switched on. It will power the scan tool, but the PCM is still turned off.
key on when I tried. I even tried with it running and it killed the truck. Stopped running. I think I was running the I/m. Not sure if relevant.

Old 05-18-2024, 03:52 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
key on when I tried. I even tried with it running and it killed the truck. Stopped running. I think I was running the I/m. Not sure if relevant.
Have you been getting a lot of rain where you are? I wonder if you've got some water damage to maybe the PCM or connector. The GEM is a common problem with water damage, but not sure if it is capable of causing your issues. Have you tried checking continuity on those wires going to the PCM that I screenshot a few posts up.?

Old 05-21-2024, 09:44 AM
chad.r
8th Gear
Originally Posted by udsuth78
Have you been getting a lot of rain where you are? I wonder if you've got some water damage to maybe the PCM or connector. The GEM is a common problem with water damage, but not sure if it is capable of causing your issues. Have you tried checking continuity on those wires going to the PCM that I screenshot a few posts up.?
what is the GEM? So should I just get a new pcm? One thing that might be relevant when the ses light first came on and I lost power I was hauling a trailer up a canyon. I already have power loss issues in my 7.3. Are there any issues that could throw an ses light and not read a code?

Old 05-21-2024, 07:13 PM
chad.r
8th Gear
I’ve used my 35$ scanner napas scanner and stopped by the dealership that hooked up 3 different scanners and could get it to link.
the 4 v reads 1.48

Old 05-21-2024, 09:11 PM
udsuth78
Lead Driver
The GEM is the generic electronic module. It's in charge of things like door locks, power windows, interior lights, stereo and a boat load of others. It's got it's fingers in nearly all the pies in one way or another. If your truck ever starts acting possessed, with lights flashing stereo turning on and off by itself and so on, it's the GEM is on the fritz because the windshield leaked letting it get wet. Now do you need a new PCM? Idk, but I know where you can send it for testing. Message these folks through their website letting them know what's going on and they will be able to steer you in the right direction. All reports are they are 5 star people and very willing to help.

https://www.dieseltechchatt.com/

Quick Reply: Obd2 has power but no scanner can communicate