another front diff explosion. 2023 f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2024, 02:50 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
another front diff explosion. 2023 f150

13,000 miles. 6 months old. '23stx 5.0.

From reading other forums, I am aware that the front pumpkins on these trucks are fragile. Keeping this in mind, I am actually quite careful with mine. I live in the land of snow. 4x4 is an absolute necessity in my world.

Today, I had to run out into our flat, muddy field. Just having the factory Hankook garbage tires, the truck got stuck.

Tried all drive modes. No go.

Switched to 4 low. Got a little wheel spin going. Forward a little. Ok, it's moving. Complete stop. Then into reverse a little, eased on the brakes with no throttle and KABOOM!

What the actual ____?!

What a piece of crap this truck turned out to be.

It's now a $50,000 lawn ornament.

I've loyally driven ford trucks my entire life. I've had at least one of every generation f150 ever made since the 1960s aside from gen 9 and gen 13.

This g14 is the biggest piece of crap Ford has ever produced.

Now to empty it out, and call the warranty people.

I love the engine. Too bad they can't make a decent vehicle to put it in anymore.

This one has me looking to other brands now.

Disgusted.

Old 05-11-2024, 07:44 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Holy cow that's pretty much what we have- was there any indication? Weas it the cover that failed? The gear set? has this been a recurrent thing?

Old 05-11-2024, 08:05 PM
BC2019F250
Tuned
Received 217 Likes on 109 Posts
I don't recall ever seeing this issue before.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:04 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
Yeah me neither-but I'm looking for it now

Old 05-11-2024, 09:11 PM
jcnorton
Mountain Pass
Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
OP where you seeing this? I've never heard of it. Let us know what's found when ya can.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:33 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
I've been looking for a while- all I can see is thinks like bearing failure- ring/pinion failure but it was all preceded by lots of grinding sounds- and I'm not sure what KABOOM means as in if the cover actually failed , although I have heard that sickening sound before on my Scout., also I have not found where the front dif or axels are inherently fragile- OP any further info?

Old 05-12-2024, 11:24 AM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by BC2019F250
I don't recall ever seeing this issue before.
There are quite a few on the gen14 specific forum.

The case splits in half under load in reverse. Backing up trailers seems to be a common theme there.

Pictures of the broken areas seem to show casting flaws and poor grain structure. Very thin casting as well.

Absolute carnage when it happens.

Mine is sitting dead in a flat, greasy field. I was spinning tires in reverse. Very slick conditions and still have the garbage stock tires. Let off the gas and gently applied the brake to slow the wheels down and she popped.

No pics yet, as it's about 45 degrees and I'm not crawling under there in the mud right now.

I'll have to deal with it Monday.

Happy mothers day, y'all.

Old 05-12-2024, 02:30 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
Yup I was looking at covers before but now I'm really going to start looking- Man jack I hope it's something that can be quickly fixed- Good luck and please keep us posted

Old 05-12-2024, 05:04 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Skidrowvet
Yup I was looking at covers before but now I'm really going to start looking- Man jack I hope it's something that can be quickly fixed- Good luck and please keep us posted
Well, I've simmered down a bit, but I'm not looking forward to wasting a work day tomorrow messing around with dealers.

Has anyone had to have their truck towed in for warranty work before?

I don't even knew who to call. I'm used to fixing stuff myself.

I've seen people mention "talking to Ford" and getting a loaner, but I really don't know where to begin.

My salesman was no help when I called him. Hes too busy selling trucks.

I need to talk to somwone who can make things happen.

I want to like this truck. It's sooo light though. It feels kinda flimsy compared to everything I've had before. Kinda reminds me of our Canadian made 1980 F100. The sheet metal on this Canuck trucks was a lot thinner than the US spec trucks.

The gen 4 coyote is incredible, but I'm not sold on the aluminum body yet. I'm starting to see separation between the bed sides and the bed floor. Never had that issue on a steel one.

And what happened to fender braces? They sure do help in deep snow. It's like they want you to cave the side in. I'm surprised the plastic mud flaps in front of the rear tire made it through the first winter.

We're off to an iffy start with this one.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:30 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Some pics. Hard to get a good angle.

There's no way they can say I hit a rock. I'm pleasantly surprised at how much protection the stx has underneath. I wasnt expecting much at this trim level.

Just jamming my phone in there blindly, yhe insides are visible from the outside. Probably not ideal.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:32 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
I wasn't expecting an earth shattering kaboom!!

-M. Martian.

Old 05-12-2024, 11:34 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Double post

Old 05-14-2024, 01:28 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
Looks like the front shaft grenaded? Or was it where the front shaft goes into the diff? What is that cardboard looking part on the last photo? Did you get it out of the field? doesn't look too muddy from the pics.

Old 05-14-2024, 01:45 PM
One eyed Jumpin Jack
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Skidrowvet
Looks like the front shaft grenaded? Or was it where the front shaft goes into the diff? What is that cardboard looking part on the last photo? Did you get it out of the field? doesn't look too muddy from the pics.
In the first picture you can see the input shaft bearing, the pinion, and the ring gear. All of which should not be visible.

The diff housing shattered like glass.

The last picture shows a huge crack in the housing near the right drive axle output.

After getting it moved, I found some nice chunks of magnesium housing laying in a big puddle of gear oil.

I was able to drive it to the dealer where I bought it about an hour away. They said the have been seeing this happen quite a bit, and shouldn't be an issue getting it replaced under warranty.

Waiting for a loaner to come available, I'm driving my 94 Bronco in the meantime. It's never let me down. 270,000 miles and counting.

Not sure what you're seeing that looks like cardboard, maybe the skid plate?

The field was definitely like diving on ice.

Old 05-14-2024, 02:57 PM
Skidrowvet
Cross-Country
In the last photo it looks fibrous material- I'm calling my dealer tomorrow- at least it's under warranty- that don't help much but it's something. Good luck

Quick Reply: another front diff explosion. 2023 f150