Notices
2021+ F150 Discuss the 2021 Ford F150

2024 F150 Trailer Brake Controller Module

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2024, 08:18 AM
Super Duty TMac
Mountain Pass
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, i agree also that the F150 mirrors are pretty tiny and leave a lot of blind spots. Gonna have to put on some sticky tape round spotter mirrors or something on them to try and help. I’m still waiting for the part to come in at my Ford dealer.

Old 05-29-2024, 05:29 PM
DVR
Mountain Pass
Received 20 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 850mg
WTF!!! when I have the trailer hooked to the truck & backing up with the door open this dam truck automatically forces the shift lever into park, you all have seen the movie Christen about the haunted 50's Chrsyler car well this is the newer version of Florine the F150.
get a seatbelt buckle "bottle opener" from ebay.
When a buckle is in the seatbelt latch it doesn't do that.
Agree that it sucks. Just letting you know how I worked around it

Old 05-30-2024, 10:33 AM
Super Duty TMac
Mountain Pass
My truck went in to the dealer this morning for the trailer brake module install. Finally!

Old 05-30-2024, 07:49 PM
1A2A
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm ready to pull the trigger and order a 2024 XL RCSB, but I'm trying to confirm the ability to add an integrated trailer brake controller before I do. I don't tow everyday, but I'd really like an integrated TBC when I do.

@Super Duty TMac can you confirm you were successful in adding a TBC and it functions just like it shipped that way from the factory?
@850mg it looks like you were able to add one too, correct?

How on earth does this truck come with a Class 4 hitch and 9,400 towing capacity, but not come from the factory with an integrated TBC?

Old 05-30-2024, 09:45 PM
Super Duty TMac
Mountain Pass
Well, unfortunately, my Ford dealer only ordered the module that goes up under the dash by the brake pedal but they installed that and programmed the computer and the switch that goes in to adjust the break sensitivity was on national backorder. I was able to find one on eBay for $80, including shipping so I ordered that and it will be in in a few days and that will be an easy install that I’ll do so I will report back, but these are all factory OEM parts just like it came as new. Not aftermarket. I agree also that these trucks should have came with this right off the assembly line. They come with hitches and towing capacities of almost 10,000 pounds but yet they do not come with trailer brake controllers installed, that is crazy.

Old 05-31-2024, 06:34 AM
1A2A
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update. It sounds like adding the physical switch is a pretty simple process, so hopefully it goes smoothly for you.

How much did the dealer charge you for the module and install? I've read about some people using FORScan to enable new modules like this, but I haven't ventured down that path myself.

Old 05-31-2024, 06:43 AM
Super Duty TMac
Mountain Pass
The dealer charged me $580 total for the module and the install process and they came and picked my truck up from me took it back to the dealership did it and then brought it back little did I know it did not come with the switch they did not tell me that until after they said they could order it for me, but it was on national back order so like I said previously, I found it on eBay. There were a couple distributors on there that have it in stock. It should be in a couple days. Literally snap the coin tray out of the dash next to the stereo. There’s a plug on the back plug into the new switch and snap it in that’s it . As far as installing the module, it takes about two minutes or less. Also, if you want to tackle that yourself and yes, you can do it with fore scan and I probably should’ve went that route, but since I was already starting to work with the dealership, I figured I’d let them tackle it.

Old 06-05-2024, 08:50 AM
Super Duty TMac
Mountain Pass
Got the switch in yesterday and put it in. Took 2 minutes to unbox it and snap it in place. Everything works great now. Glad to be done. This should have come standard equipment on any vehicle that has the tow package.

Old 06-05-2024, 09:03 AM
1A2A
3rd Gear
Thanks for the update and I'm glad to hear that it all worked out. It really is crazy that it's not included from the factory. I hear lots of opinions about how these trucks should come with various features, many of which are not universally desired by everyone and all of which just drive up the cost of the vehicle. That said, it makes no sense at all that Ford decided to include the hitch but not the brake controller. If this is a cost cutting measure, it would make far more sense to not include the hitch as standard equipment and have the hitch and brake controller both included in an optional tow package. Then, those who don't want it can save some money, and those who do want it won't have the hassle of spending more time and money at the dealership adding equipment that should have been installed at the factory.