Ground wire issue?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2024, 02:04 PM
ilhaze
7th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ground wire issue?

Recently I just had my sparkplugs replaced and the car(ford explorer 2006-10?) ran well for a week but then the electric features of the car went faulty until the car wouldnt start at all and drained the battery. what do you think caused this? i checked the engine for any loose wires or anything like that and saw one of the ignition coil( im not sure if that is what the part is called) is disconnected.

im new please dont judge.

Old 04-29-2024, 02:58 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,726 Likes on 1,396 Posts
Charge the battery up with a small charger. It will usually take all day and one night to get it topped off with a small charger. While doing that you may find the battery is bad. The charger may tell you, or once it's charged up, you can carry the battery into the store and they can load test it for you.

If the battery passes, then get one of those battery terminal cleaners like the one below. It's made to clean the outside of the battery terminals and the inside of the cable ends. It's a good tool that will last you your lifetime. Clean the terminals on the cables and the battery and hook it all up and then see what happens.

Amazon Amazon

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-29-2024, 03:10 PM
ilhaze
7th Gear
Originally Posted by Franklin2
Charge the battery up with a small charger. It will usually take all day and one night to get it topped off with a small charger. While doing that you may find the battery is bad. The charger may tell you, or once it's charged up, you can carry the battery into the store and they can load test it for you.

If the battery passes, then get one of those battery terminal cleaners like the one below. It's made to clean the outside of the battery terminals and the inside of the cable ends. It's a good tool that will last you your lifetime. Clean the terminals on the cables and the battery and hook it all up and then see what happens.

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-BA...060YHP62&psc=1

alright ill test it out. though my father said that it would be impossible for the battery to be faulty or finished because we had just changed it. we changed it on september last year he said and he also said that it was too early for it to already be finished/drained. do you think this is true?

Old 04-30-2024, 09:43 AM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
Received 3,193 Likes on 2,225 Posts
usually that would by true, but i have also seen bad batteries that are less than one year old.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:40 PM
Franklin2
Originally Posted by ilhaze
alright ill test it out. though my father said that it would be impossible for the battery to be faulty or finished because we had just changed it. we changed it on september last year he said and he also said that it was too early for it to already be finished/drained. do you think this is true?
That is generally the case, but don't assume anything. Like was said above, you can get a bad one once in awhile. If it checks good, then that is one thing you know that is not the problem.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:17 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
i would more suspect a bad alternator than a bad battery.

Old 05-03-2024, 08:55 PM
Ol' Grouch
Cross-Country
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts

Each cell in your battery is a shade over 2 volts. That's why 12 volt batteries, with caps, have 6 cap and 6 volt batteries have three. If you check it with a volt meter and get 10 volts, you may have either a dead cell or bad internal connection. If it's charged and you check it, you should get around 12.4 to 12.8 volts at rest.

While I generally just use a volt/ohm meter, I did spring for a fancy computerized job that tests the battery and the charging system. I hate to admit it, but it's a lot faster than I can do the way I was trained.

Have you changed anything like a different radio? After a week and then it starts draining the power sounds like a switch not shutting off. Like the interior lamps or something.

Old 05-05-2024, 05:17 AM
ilhaze
7th Gear
Originally Posted by tjc transport
i would more suspect a bad alternator than a bad battery.
thats what my father said because whenever we try to jump start the car after a few seconds the car shuts down immediately

Old 05-05-2024, 05:21 AM
ilhaze
7th Gear
Originally Posted by Ol' Grouch
Each cell in your battery is a shade over 2 volts. That's why 12 volt batteries, with caps, have 6 cap and 6 volt batteries have three. If you check it with a volt meter and get 10 volts, you may have either a dead cell or bad internal connection. If it's charged and you check it, you should get around 12.4 to 12.8 volts at rest.

While I generally just use a volt/ohm meter, I did spring for a fancy computerized job that tests the battery and the charging system. I hate to admit it, but it's a lot faster than I can do the way I was trained.

Have you changed anything like a different radio? After a week and then it starts draining the power sounds like a switch not shutting off. Like the interior lamps or something.
no i havent changed anything electrically related except for the sparkplugs & sparkplugwires as well as the ignition coils. And the interior lamps thingyou said is mostly unlikely because the car is an automatic so the headlamps turns off by itself and we make sure to turn of everything inside as well.

Old 05-05-2024, 12:35 PM
ilhaze
7th Gear
UPDATE

we replaced the battery with another one and it runs fine, but im kind skeptical about it as it might drain this battery as well.

Old 05-05-2024, 01:48 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
replacing the battery may not have fixed it. what is voltage at battery with engine running?

Old 05-05-2024, 01:56 PM
ilhaze
7th Gear
replacing the battery may not have fixed it. what is voltage at battery with engine running?
yeah thats true it might not have, i dont have a way to check the voltage because i dont know where and what to get

Old 05-05-2024, 02:51 PM
tjc transport
i ain't rite
a volt meter, across the battery terminals

Old 05-05-2024, 02:53 PM
ilhaze
7th Gear
a volt meter, across the battery terminals
alright ill look up where to buy volt meters. i have a question tho, can ground faults really drain the battery of the car? i just checked the car for anything faulty in the electrical systems everything seems to be running well. but ofcourse i wont use the car until I get a proper way of knwing if the car is grounded or not

Old 05-05-2024, 03:26 PM
Franklin2
alright ill look up where to buy volt meters. i have a question tho, can ground faults really drain the battery of the car? i just checked the car for anything faulty in the electrical systems everything seems to be running well. but ofcourse i wont use the car until I get a proper way of knwing if the car is grounded or not
You really can't check much if you do not have a meter. All the parts stores have one. Harbor Freight of course would be the cheapest.

Here's one with a decent rating.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ity-59410.html

I would buy one of these too. Very useful to help find a drain if you happen to have one, plus other things on a car or truck.

https://www.harborfreight.com/electr...ead-63603.html

The following users liked this post:
JWA

Quick Reply: Ground wire issue?