Sponsored by:

Rear tire carrier and bumper

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2024, 06:43 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Rear tire carrier and bumper

I've been searching and reading all over this forum that my eyes are sore.

I'm looking for a rear tire carrier for the excursion that won't interfere with the barn doors.

I'd like to be able to swing out the barn doors past the 90 degree stops. Not 180 degrees, but more than 90. Most of the rear bumpers with tire carriers have the hinge by the brake light and would interfere with the barn doors.

I'm building a set of pull out drawers and I'm trying to maximize their width, which means the barn doors need to open up wide enough to clear.

Old 04-27-2024, 07:00 PM
callforfire
Tuned
Received 175 Likes on 123 Posts
I have the runel/buckstop rear bumper with tire carrier. The barn doors open all the way just fine. I'm working on a drawer setup myself and it'll work for that.
Doing business with buckstop, was not so smooth.
Aluminess would be another option.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-27-2024, 08:11 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
I was also looking at the buckstop. Around $4,600.

Are you able to open the barn doors past the 90 degree point, where the removable hinge stoppers normally would stop the barn doors? It looks like the barn door would hit the hinge.

Is the buckstop steel or aluminum?

Does it rattle? What size tire you running?

Old 04-27-2024, 08:12 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by callforfire
I have the runel/buckstop rear bumper with tire carrier. The barn doors open all the way just fine. I'm working on a drawer setup myself and it'll work for that.
Doing business with buckstop, was not so smooth.
Aluminess would be another option.
I was also looking at the buckstop. Around $4,600.

Are you able to open the barn doors past the 90 degree point, where the removable hinge stoppers normally would stop the barn doors? It looks like the barn door would hit the hinge.

Is the buckstop steel or aluminum?

Does it rattle? What size tire you running?

Old 04-27-2024, 09:25 PM
unleashd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 69 Likes on 44 Posts
Can't afford an aftermarket bumper for now. But I needed a solution carry a 35" spare. Found a good deal on a Wilco. It works fine for the intended purpose. PO had shortened the folded arm by about 10". In stock form, it would clear the rear bumper enough for the barn doors to open past 90*

Old 04-28-2024, 12:54 PM
callforfire
Tuned
Grabbed a couple pics before bed.

I don't know if it's coming through in the pics, but It does open up wider by a bit more than an inch with the thing disconnected.

Old 04-29-2024, 11:14 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 284 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by CajunX
I've been searching and reading all over this forum that my eyes are sore.

I'm looking for a rear tire carrier for the excursion that won't interfere with the barn doors.

I'd like to be able to swing out the barn doors past the 90 degree stops. Not 180 degrees, but more than 90. Most of the rear bumpers with tire carriers have the hinge by the brake light and would interfere with the barn doors.

I'm building a set of pull out drawers and I'm trying to maximize their width, which means the barn doors need to open up wide enough to clear.
I searched for awhile too looking for a rear bumper with a tire carrier that would allow the barn doors to fully open. I ended up just making one myself.

To get it so the barn doors could open fully, I put the pivot point as far out as I could without adding extra overall width to the truck.

Here is with the rear door open to 90* on the normal limit strap.

And fully open (limit strap removed). So that the full interior width can be used.

I made a thread with more pictures if you're interested, link below. Its a lot of work, but its the only way I found to get what you're asking for.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-carrier.html

The following 2 users liked this post by Antonm23:
Old 04-29-2024, 12:56 PM
callforfire
Tuned
If I was doing it again, I'd fab my own.

Old 04-29-2024, 10:26 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Antonm23
I searched for awhile too looking for a rear bumper with a tire carrier that would allow the barn doors to fully open. I ended up just making one myself.

To get it so the barn doors could open fully, I put the pivot point as far out as I could without adding extra overall width to the truck.

Here is with the rear door open to 90* on the normal limit strap.

And fully open (limit strap removed). So that the full interior width can be used.

I made a thread with more pictures if you're interested, link below. Its a lot of work, but its the only way I found to get what you're asking for.

https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...e-carrier.html
All I can say is WOW! I read the other thread. That is one beefy rear bumper setup. I can't even imaging how much time you got in that.

BTW, I'm also a veteran and in Texas...Dallas/Rowlett area.

Old 04-30-2024, 09:27 AM
Antonm23
More Turbo
Received 284 Likes on 203 Posts
Originally Posted by CajunX
All I can say is WOW! I read the other thread. That is one beefy rear bumper setup. I can't even imaging how much time you got in that.

BTW, I'm also a veteran and in Texas...Dallas/Rowlett area.
Thanks, I'm down around San Antonio (actually more between San Antonio and New Braunfels).

And yes, I've got a decent bit of time invested in the rear bumper, but I simply couldn't find a ready made alternative that would do what I wanted it to. And even the ones that were kinda close still had things I didn't like ( not being able to fully open the rear barn doors was one common thing) and the cost for these not great, just barely acceptable, bumpers was outrageous. So out came the grinders and welder, overall I'm happy with the end result.

If you've got the space to do a project like this, its really not hard. Time consuming and dirty work for sure, but not technically/ academically difficult. It took me probably four months working on it a few hours here and there on weekends to get it done. And I changed the design / decided to added stuff to it just about every time I worked on it (can't have scope creep if you never set a project scope).

Old 04-30-2024, 04:35 PM
CajunX
Cross-Country
Originally Posted by Antonm23
Thanks, I'm down around San Antonio (actually more between San Antonio and New Braunfels).

And yes, I've got a decent bit of time invested in the rear bumper, but I simply couldn't find a ready made alternative that would do what I wanted it to. And even the ones that were kinda close still had things I didn't like ( not being able to fully open the rear barn doors was one common thing) and the cost for these not great, just barely acceptable, bumpers was outrageous. So out came the grinders and welder, overall I'm happy with the end result.

If you've got the space to do a project like this, its really not hard. Time consuming and dirty work for sure, but not technically/ academically difficult. It took me probably four months working on it a few hours here and there on weekends to get it done. And I changed the design / decided to added stuff to it just about every time I worked on it (can't have scope creep if you never set a project scope).
I'm decent with a welder. I do like the styling of the move bumpers more than the buckstop and aluminess. I'm leaning more toward the aluminess since its has dual swingable rear and a large storage box I could put my water and propane tank in. The aluminess also has the brush guards for the rear brake lights.

I'm just not sure the aluminum would be strong enough for the longterm use/weight of a rear tire and storage box, and I also need the bumper to protect me from minivans.

I'm thinking steel is the better choice, but would rather be riding around enjoying the excursion than welding.