1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Ordered Vintage Air Gen II but they sent me Gen 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2024, 05:54 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts
Ordered Vintage Air Gen II but they sent me Gen 5

Hey guys, has anyone tried the Gen 5 out yet? I ordered the Gen II from a shop here in NSW and they sent me the Gen 5. This one
https://www.vintageair.com/custom/pr....php?pn=941634
It came with a few very cool new pieces, including a nice steel shortened glove box that the other kit didn't have.
On the downside, the kit was advertised on this site
https://enginemaster.com.au/products...age-air-system
and this was what I was expecting to receive. However, they did not send me the compressor. This is something that I am chasing up with them. (It is clearly shown in the photo) But, you know, they have this silly disclaimer which basically says the kit might differ from the photo.
False advertising or what?
On the one hand I get what appears to be a superior unit, on the other, I don't get what I ordered and the kit didn't include the compressor.
Assuming they sort things out and send me a compressor, I have to say I am very delighted with the rest of the kit.
Has anyone fitted the Gen 5 yet?
I put the Gen II in by myself around 8 years ago. Looking forward to seeing how well this new one goes...

Old 04-13-2024, 06:02 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 468 Likes on 304 Posts
Sounds like the issue is not whether you got a Gen II or a Gen 5...the issue is that you're missing the compressor. Both kits come with a compressor so I should think that the local shop should be supplying you with a compressor to complete your Gen 5 kit. I haven't used the Gen 5 but from the literature it should be a better system for you.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:04 AM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Yes, looking forward to getting it all together. Really seems like Vintage Air have lifted their game when it comes to the evaporator housing. Haven't looked at how it mounts yet, but from memory the old one just never had enough anchor points.

Old 04-13-2024, 07:12 AM
CharlieLed
Lead Driver
Received 468 Likes on 304 Posts
I have a fairly expensively modified dash and firewall so I opted to fabricate my own evaporator mounting bracket...

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-13-2024, 07:24 AM
tacson
Cargo Master

Received 88 Likes on 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CharlieLed
I have a fairly expensively modified dash and firewall so I opted to fabricate my own evaporator mounting bracket...

That looks really good Chuck

Old 04-13-2024, 08:21 AM
lshort
More Turbo
Received 104 Likes on 58 Posts
looking through the instructions the only differences between the gen 2 and 5 that I noticed was that the gen 5 puts the heater control valve under the hood which I think is a good thing because it is very tight quarters inside and a leaky valve inside is a real pain.

Also no more capillarity tube on the temperature control which is another plus, in the course of installing mine I broke the tubing and had to buy a new one.

Not really related to your question but I also discovered that using a ABS firewall cover makes things much more complicated

Old 04-13-2024, 09:39 AM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,158 Likes on 2,671 Posts
It's clearly stated in the add that the compressor is included...
**Complete kits include everything in the evaporator kit, plus all under-hood components such as compressor, engine brackets, condenser with brackets, preformed refrigerant lines, drier, fittings, hardware and installation instructions.

Old 04-13-2024, 11:04 AM
mOROTBREATH
Cargo Master
Received 168 Likes on 114 Posts
Is there a chance that the compressor is a drop-shipment and will come direct from a manufacturer at a later date(a few days)?

Old 04-13-2024, 04:46 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by 56panelford
**Complete kits include everything in the evaporator kit, plus all under-hood components such as compressor, engine brackets, condenser with brackets, preformed refrigerant lines, drier, fittings, hardware and installation instructions.
yes, exactly. I'm calling them tomorrow. Email's are going ignored. They took six weeks to deliver it as well which was not a big deal, but they had plenty of time to check the order.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:49 PM
Bluey Zedoff
Laughing Gas
Originally Posted by mOROTBREATH
Is there a chance that the compressor is a drop-shipment and will come direct from a manufacturer at a later date(a few days)?
I don't think so unless as was advised it came in two parcels and both delivered. One box had the drier in it and an empty space in the box that was a perfect fit for the compressor.

Old 04-13-2024, 04:58 PM
lshort
More Turbo
When I was shopping for a unit it looked to me like every dealer had the same lead time and price. I got the idea that they are all drop shipped direct from the company. and the 6 weeks is when the unit will be manufactured.

Old 04-13-2024, 05:02 PM
lshort
More Turbo
Originally Posted by 56panelford
Exactly, the OP bought a complete kit, I bought mine on ebay and shortly after I bought it the seller called wanting to know what compressor mount that I needed,

Old 04-13-2024, 05:26 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,466 Likes on 1,406 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluey Zedoff
yes, exactly. I'm calling them tomorrow. Email's are going ignored. They took six weeks to deliver it as well which was not a big deal, but they had plenty of time to check the order.
Since the kit is listed on the Vintage Air website as all inclusive with compressor, if you don't get satisfaction from your local guys, I'd make a direct inquiry to Vintage Air and see what they say. One way or another I believe you should have a compressor. Nothing is said anywhere about it being sold separately, but that it is included.

The following 2 users liked this post by 52 Merc:
Old 04-14-2024, 07:40 AM
Dturk
Tuned
Received 84 Likes on 59 Posts
If you paid by credit card, and don’t get resolution from the seller, then you can contest the charge via the respective issuing authority (bank, credit union, etc.). Be aware there’s a time limit for initiating the action, so I’d find out what it is from your financial institution.

Old 04-14-2024, 09:15 AM
bjmayberry2
Lead Driver
Received 550 Likes on 355 Posts
Originally Posted by lshort
Not really related to your question but I also discovered that using a ABS firewall cover makes things much more complicated
I agree. I also didn't use their flimsy under dash vent mount or the glove box replacement box. I didn't have room for the glove box and I made a metal dash extension.

Quick Reply: Ordered Vintage Air Gen II but they sent me Gen 5