2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

Front Air Dam

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2024, 05:21 PM
Member No. 1
Rather Be Rid'n!
Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts
Just received this today from eBay. Looks to be good quality. I’ll try installing this weekend.
I ordered the 2 WD 4” version, as I didn't want it to short.
I’ll follow up after install.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:00 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 784 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Member No. 1
Just received this today from eBay. Looks to be good quality. I’ll try installing this weekend.
I ordered the 2 WD 4” version, as I didn't want it to short.
I’ll follow up after install.

that’s the one I like and I saw it on eBay under an off-brand

interested to see how it fits etc.

post back once it’s on

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-15-2024, 06:23 PM
Smiline
5th Wheeling
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
I just installed the 2 wheel drive version today. It looks like crap...I'm putting the factory one back on. What a waste of $89.00. I have 2 2024 F350's and I was only going to change the air dam on my personal truck. I looked at the two trucks side by side and I was very disappointed. Then there are those brackets that become visible with the shorter air dam. Oh well, that's what you get when you get some advice on the Internet!

Old 04-15-2024, 06:39 PM
Rwhjr
Fleet Mechanic
Received 784 Likes on 473 Posts
Originally Posted by Smiline
I just installed the 2 wheel drive version today. It looks like crap...I'm putting the factory one back on. What a waste of $89.00. I have 2 2024 F350's and I was only going to change the air dam on my personal truck. I looked at the two trucks side by side and I was very disappointed. Then there are those brackets that become visible with the shorter air dam. Oh well, that's what you get when you get some advice on the Internet!
lol.

Bro what are you on?

I’ve had the 2wd valance on my 21 super duty. It’s not a debate of what the thing looks like plus you can google what it looks like. Not too hard to do n

I was just asking (due to this guy who posted his being an aftermarket brand and not OEM) if the fit and finish was good.

the 2wd looks just fine in my opinion. Sometimes I think the tremor valance is too minimalist and makes the trucks look like they have a bit of an overbite lol

Old 04-15-2024, 06:44 PM
rna352
Mountain Pass
Received 111 Likes on 75 Posts
Waste of 89 dollars I agree, when trimming the stock one is quicker and virtually free.

What was disappointing? 2WD valence too short? Too long?

And if you're referring to the "Prius Catcher" brackets as unsightly, yeah, everyone removes those. At least that's what I've seen on the internet!

Old 04-15-2024, 06:48 PM
Member No. 1
Rather Be Rid'n!
Then there are those brackets that become visible with the shorter air dam. Oh well, that's what you get when you get some advice on the Internet!
Most if not all are taking them off. They do nothing, most likely are for shipping tie downs.

Old 04-15-2024, 06:55 PM
GAZZILLA
Fleet Mechanic
Received 1,079 Likes on 590 Posts
If I’m remembering correctly Tremors don’t come with those crash brackets.

Old 04-15-2024, 07:24 PM
TexasJackKin
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Looks like you're in NY, or I'd come by and help you out by buying if off you, but I'm in Nevada and that would be a ways to go..... Good Luck!

Old 04-15-2024, 08:55 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,379 Likes on 1,772 Posts
The Prius Catcher brackets really ARE designed and intended to be Prius catchers, just as their nickname suggests.

The brackets are for collision compatibility with the bumpers and crash energy absorption strategies of smaller vehicles (not just Prii)... not shipping tie downs, and not to keep the valance from blowing back, as others have theorized.

To pre-empt the feds from formulating rigid regulations that would constrict design and constrain manufacturers from the flexibility needed to innovate, members of a consortium of automobile manufacturers agreed to VOLUNTARILY produce trucks and suvs with collision compatibility considerations for smaller vehicles.

Ford led the way in this effort, since Ford's cash cows are all grazing in the market fields of large trucks and suvs.

Certain 2 wheel drive trucks are already low enough to the ground at the front bumper, where no additional measure is necessary to be collision compatible with smaller vehicles.

Certain chassis cab trucks are over the GVWR threshold that is most subject to regulation, so those vehicles may not have brackets (none of the F-550's I've ordered have them).

The payoff for Ford in getting ahead of the safety concern for smaller cars versus larger SUVs and pickups that was brewing in the minds of FMVSS regulators in the '90s... is found in the Tremor, where the flexibility to produce a recreational / off-road model that has a higher approach angle is afforded by the fact that collision compatibility compliance is still voluntary, and not mandatory for every single model of vehicle.

As long as most of the manufacturer's vehicles are collision compatible, bureaucratic efforts to codify such regulations are kept at bay.

The original Super Duties and Excursions at the turn of the century had a much more expensive to produce Blocker Beam, which was in fact "bigger and beefier", but is not necessary with the newer designed Super Duty frames from 2008 to 2016, and 2017 to present, due to the lowering of the main frame horns, made possible by hydroforming a deeper drop down ahead of the front axle, unlike the forward frame formation of early 1999 - 2007 main rails, which did not dip down as much ahead of the axle.

The foregoing comments are in response to:

Originally Posted by Member No. 1
Most if not all are taking them off. They do nothing, most likely are for shipping tie downs.

The following 6 users liked this post by Y2KW57:
B-ManFX4, DPelletier, GreyShadow350, HFM, LuckysDad, Member No. 1 and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 04-16-2024, 03:49 AM
Member No. 1
Rather Be Rid'n!
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
The Prius Catcher brackets really ARE designed and intended to be Prius catchers, just as their nickname suggests.
The brackets are for collision compatibility with the bumpers and crash energy absorption strategies of smaller vehicles (not just Prii)... not shipping tie downs, and not to keep the valance from blowing back, as others have theorized.
To pre-empt the feds from formulating rigid regulations that would constrict design and constrain manufacturers from the flexibility needed to innovate, members of a consortium of automobile manufacturers agreed to VOLUNTARILY produce trucks and suvs with collision compatibility considerations for smaller vehicles.
Ford led the way in this effort, since Ford's cash cows are all grazing in the market fields of large trucks and suvs.
Certain 2 wheel drive trucks are already low enough to the ground at the front bumper, where no additional measure is necessary to be collision compatible with smaller vehicles.
Certain chassis cab trucks are over the GVWR threshold that is most subject to regulation, so those vehicles may not have brackets (none of the F-550's I've ordered have them).
The payoff for Ford in getting ahead of the safety concern for smaller cars versus larger SUVs and pickups that was brewing in the minds of FMVSS regulators in the '90s... is found in the Tremor, where the flexibility to produce a recreational / off-road model that has a higher approach angle is afforded by the fact that collision compatibility compliance is still voluntary, and not mandatory for every single model of vehicle.
As long as most of the manufacturer's vehicles are collision compatible, bureaucratic efforts to codify such regulations are kept at bay.
The original Super Duties and Excursions at the turn of the century had a much more expensive to produce Blocker Beam, which was in fact "bigger and beefier", but is not necessary with the newer designed Super Duty frames from 2008 to 2016, and 2017 to present, due to the lowering of the main frame horns, made possible by hydroforming a deeper drop down ahead of the front axle, unlike the forward frame formation of early 1999 - 2007 main rails, which did not dip down as much ahead of the axle.
Then I stand corrected!

Thank you for the very informative and highly enlightening explanation and for clearing this up. It all makes sense.
However, despite this info, when I install the 4" 2WD valance, I will probably still remove the 2 brackets that hang down even though I am fully aware of the safety factor I am removing. That is unless they (IMHO) don't look to bad or hang to low beyond the bottom edge of the valance.
Thanks again for the detailed info.

Now I'm a little PO'ed that I got incorrect information from a complete stranger on the internet. What is this world coming too!

Old 04-16-2024, 04:08 AM
Smiline
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Y2KW57

Thank you for the "complete information"!!

Old 04-16-2024, 10:06 PM
chukeeee
Mountain Pass
Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts
1-did you purchase as n OEM 2wd version, or was it an internet knock off?
2- where in NY are you located?

Old 04-17-2024, 03:45 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by GAZZILLA
If I’m remembering correctly Tremors don’t come with those crash brackets.
i don’t remember any crash brackets on my 2019 F350 SRW ?

Are these only on newer model super duty’s ?

Old 04-17-2024, 03:58 AM
BROWN DOG KTM
Fleet Mechanic
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by f250blueoval
Tremor or nothing ...
This sums up this thread

I totally agree

Old 04-17-2024, 04:10 AM
Smiline
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by chukeeee
1-did you purchase as n OEM 2wd version, or was it an internet knock off?
2- where in NY are you located?
I tried to send you a PM and your account won't allow it. I'm in Long Island NY. The air dam that I have, that I removed is an OEM for the 2 wheel drive version!

Quick Reply: Front Air Dam