Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Problem solved

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 05:46 AM
Jamon Norton
Tuned
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Problem solved

I ended up, figuring out my vibration issue yesterday and break issue all at once. Back in October, I had the rear end, transmission, and driveshaft rebuilt. The truck came back with a slight vibration. Also, at this time I had them replace the backing plate and all hardware for the parking break. When I got the truck back, it had a slight vibration. I added my traction bars, and it still had the slight vibration fast forward to yesterday. The brakes had started making more noise. I had my trailer in tow I pulled into the O’Reillys parking lot to look at it and the brakes locked up to the point of I stalled the truck out. I backed into the parking spot, unhooked the trailer and pulled off the tire and the rotor had split in half on the back passenger side. It ended up being an issue with the rear parking brake was causing my vibration because after I put everything back together minus a parking brake my vibration is gone. I know it keeps coming back for a low contribution on a couple cylinders, but that code just keeps jumping from cylinder to cylinder. The only one that shows up every time is number eight I am almost wondering if that is due to having 200 200 injectors because the truck sure seems to run fine. I’m assuming my fuel mileage will go back up also

The pieces in the middle of the rotor are what’s left of the parking brake. I’m thinking I got a faulty backing plate for the parking brake. Ended up ruining my rear brakes on that side that only had 25k miles on them but less than an hr back on the road

Old 03-20-2024, 08:40 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
I gave up using my 'parking brake (break)' years ago. One day when I used it, it stuck 'on' and would not release. A flat bed tow and visit to the 'shop' cost me way too much to ever use the 'parking brake' again.

Old 03-20-2024, 11:18 AM
Jamon Norton
Tuned
Originally Posted by Brother Les
I gave up using my 'parking brake (break)' years ago. One day when I used it, it stuck 'on' and would not release. A flat bed tow and visit to the 'shop' cost me way too much to ever use the 'parking brake' again.
my truck has a ZF 6 transmission a parking parking brake is very nice

Old 03-20-2024, 12:20 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Received 4,473 Likes on 2,857 Posts
Originally Posted by Jamon Norton
my truck has a ZF 6 transmission a parking parking brake is very nice
I would go as far to say on a manual transmission truck it is required to have a functioning parking brake.

A few years ago when I resealed the rear axle and replaced the parking brake hardware, I cut some 1" or so diamonds in the friction material of the parking brake shoes. Now, the parking brake will hold the truck and 5th wheel camper, even on a slight incline.

I am surprised you didn't smell or hear anything from the rear passenger side by the looks of that rotor. Also you are lucky there was not a catastrophic failure at highway speeds.

Old 03-20-2024, 12:44 PM
Y2KW57
Received 3,388 Likes on 1,777 Posts
Do you have any photos of these 1" diamonds you cut?

Originally Posted by Sous
A few years ago I cut some 1" or so diamonds in the friction material of the parking brake shoes. Now, the parking brake will hold the truck and 5th wheel camper, even on a slight incline.

Old 03-20-2024, 02:46 PM
Bonanza35
Lead Driver

Received 141 Likes on 101 Posts
Like to see them to! My parking brake has never worked right, even with all new parts.

Old 03-20-2024, 04:36 PM
Tpayne621
Cargo Master
Received 1,092 Likes on 703 Posts
I would go as far to say on a manual transmission truck it is required to have a functioning parking brake.

A few years ago when I resealed the rear axle and replaced the parking brake hardware, I cut some 1" or so diamonds in the friction material of the parking brake shoes. Now, the parking brake will hold the truck and 5th wheel camper, even on a slight incline.

I am surprised you didn't smell or hear anything from the rear passenger side by the looks of that rotor. Also you are lucky there was not a catastrophic failure at highway speeds.
I thought about doing the same but doing it to the actual drum inside the rotor. The shoes being a littler softer should dig into the grooves and grab nice and tight. From all the park brake shoes I've tried over the years I get the best results out of Motorcraft ones.

Old 03-20-2024, 06:11 PM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Y2KW57
Do you have any photos of these 1" diamonds you cut?
No sir, I did not take a picture at the time of modification because I was not sure it would work. Although, in 2021 I had a post where I created an illustration for someone else that was wanting details. I have pasted the image below.

Referenced link: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...l#post19887039

Originally Posted by Bonanza35
Like to see them to! My parking brake has never worked right, even with all new parts.
Chet, please see the image above for more details. If you have further questions, I would be glad to answer them if I am able. I too was woefully disappointed in the parking brake, but I NEEDED it to work. I tried this and here we are years later and it is still working well.

Originally Posted by Tpayne621
I thought about doing the same but doing it to the actual drum inside the rotor. The shoes being a littler softer should dig into the grooves and grab nice and tight. From all the park brake shoes I've tried over the years I get the best results out of Motorcraft ones.
Apparently, the Motorcraft rear rotors have a knurled surface on the interior of the hat. I believe that @ESwift verified this for us a while back. I too had thoughts of putting some lines in the rotor, but the thought of changing the balance of the rotating assembly did not sit well with me. The shoes and pads do not move or rotate at all when the vehicle is moving, like the rotors do so I gave it a shot. Years later I have not even had to adjust the shoes even though the parking brake gets used a lot.

If this didn't work, I was going to install a line lock similar to how Eswift did. Thankfully it did and has worked for quite some time. Although, the next time I change the pads or rotors in the rear, I will be getting the Motorcraft rotors with the textured surface just for the added holding power.

Oh ya, I have Motorcraft parking brake shoes/pads as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-20-2024, 09:03 PM
Jamon Norton
Tuned

definitely need to try this

Old 03-21-2024, 05:08 PM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,623 Likes on 964 Posts
yep, last set of motorcraft rear rotors I bought had bead blasted/textured inside where the parking brake shoe is.

I still much prefer the linelock on my zf6 truck.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:35 PM
Jamon Norton
Tuned
Originally Posted by ESwift
yep, last set of motorcraft rear rotors I bought had bead blasted/textured inside where the parking brake shoe is.

I still much prefer the linelock on my zf6 truck.
I will have to look into doing a line lock on my zf6 what brakes did you install it to just back, all 4 or fronts so you could also do burnouts😁

Old 03-22-2024, 08:29 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
My only issue with the linlock is that it is not a set it and forget it as I understand it. The linelock is only meant to be used short term and not set overnight or for hours on end, as I understand it anyway.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:50 AM
Jamon Norton
Tuned
My only issue with the linlock is that it is not a set it and forget it as I understand it. The linelock is only meant to be used short term and not set overnight or for hours on end, as I understand it anyway.
that’s fine by me because I’m more looking at wanting to be able to hold the truck while I run in somewhere quickly or have to just get out for a short while also on the boat ramp. When I shut it off I can just stick it in gear.

Old 03-22-2024, 08:56 AM
Sous
Fleet Owner
Originally Posted by Jamon Norton
that’s fine by me because I’m more looking at wanting to be able to hold the truck while I run in somewhere quickly or have to just get out for a short while also on the boat ramp. When I shut it off I can just stick it in gear.
Sounds like the linelock is a winner for you then! We look forward to your thoughts on the install and your new method of "holding" the truck in place.

Old 03-22-2024, 10:19 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,623 Likes on 964 Posts
Some line lock models, like the one on my plow truck, are just for short term holding and they do great. Mico also makes versions that have their own electronics and will sense and adjust the pressure to keep the brakes held for extended periods, those ones are really nice but they are close to $2k I believe.

Quick Reply: Problem solved