2017+ Super Duty The 2017+ Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty Pickup and Chassis Cab

350 Dually vibration at 75+

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2024, 05:47 AM
bdemay
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
350 Dually vibration at 75+

I searched the forums, and only found a recent reference to this issue in a post on an another topic, so I figured I would ask. I have a 2022 F350 Dually Platinum edition that I got in November of 22 after waiting a year. I love the truck, but ever since new, when driving on the highway, the truck vibrates, to the point were water bottles rattle in the cup holders when you get above 75 on the highway. It gets really bad from about 78-82 and then smooths out again above that. On the interstates, where the speedlimit is 70, I usually like to drive 79-83, so this is really annoying. Especially on long trips. I have tried having the tires balanced, and I have put Centrimatics on the truck. These helped a little bit, although, I have noticed with those, they work best when you accelerate really slowly up to about 45 mph, and then you can get on it. If you accelerate faster at lower speeds, they do not do as good of a balancing job. Has anyone figure out how to solve this problem? I have heard a number of people complain about it including my Ford Dealer who has the same issue on his Excursion, so it seems to be a Superduty thing, potentially, not just a Dually thing. About a year ago, I found a post on the forum, talking about having the drive shaft balanced, but there was never a follow-up that I could find to say if it worked, or where do I get that done. I asked my ford dealer about it and they had no idea what I was talking about. Any help is appreciated. My truck would be perfect in my eyes if this was fixed.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:31 AM
cosburn2005
Cross-Country
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
I have the same truck as you and have tried balancing them at a ton of different places. Every tire shop says the tires balance great. I also have centramatics and mine vibrates at the same speeds as yours.

I have tried weights without centramatics, weights with centramatics, centramatics alone. I even tried balance beads early on. No change.

I haven't had any luck figuring it out. All good up to 75 mph then it begins to shake. Gets worse the closer I get to 80. So I just set the cruise at 75 and stay in the slow lane for now.

Dealer is no help. I changed tires so they blame it on that even though it did it with the factory tires.

I am still considering buying a one piece driveshaft to see if that eliminates the vibration. If I ever get around to doing that I'll let you know.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:54 AM
Just Chilling
Laughing Gas
Received 339 Likes on 200 Posts
I need to move to your state. 70mph speed limit here and you better not be over 75 or you are in trouble.

Anyway, did you try roadforce balancing the tires? Also what brand of tire are you running? I can only get Michelin to work for me. But again I can’t run 80 mph here.

Waiting for the speed police in 3 2 1….

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-22-2024, 07:03 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Received 4,667 Likes on 1,656 Posts
Originally Posted by bdemay
I searched the forums, and only found a recent reference to this issue in a post on an another topic, so I figured I would ask. I have a 2022 F350 Dually Platinum edition that I got in November of 22 after waiting a year. I love the truck, but ever since new, when driving on the highway, the truck vibrates, to the point were water bottles rattle in the cup holders when you get above 75 on the highway. It gets really bad from about 78-82 and then smooths out again above that. On the interstates, where the speedlimit is 70, I usually like to drive 79-83, so this is really annoying. Especially on long trips. I have tried having the tires balanced, and I have put Centrimatics on the truck. These helped a little bit, although, I have noticed with those, they work best when you accelerate really slowly up to about 45 mph, and then you can get on it. If you accelerate faster at lower speeds, they do not do as good of a balancing job. Has anyone figure out how to solve this problem? I have heard a number of people complain about it including my Ford Dealer who has the same issue on his Excursion, so it seems to be a Superduty thing, potentially, not just a Dually thing. About a year ago, I found a post on the forum, talking about having the drive shaft balanced, but there was never a follow-up that I could find to say if it worked, or where do I get that done. I asked my ford dealer about it and they had no idea what I was talking about. Any help is appreciated. My truck would be perfect in my eyes if this was fixed.
Is the vibraton in sync with the tires? (Lower frequency)or in sync with the driveline? (Higher frequency) We can’t tell from here.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:47 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 317 Likes on 224 Posts
Two years ago I was under my truck and notice one of the small welded on weights was missing from the driveshaft tube. You could clearly see that it was gone, I also had a vibration at around 72 mph. Mine is a two piece shaft and was told to bring in the entire driveshaft from the truck. They balanced the entire assembly on a high speed lathe and the vibs are gone. Any drive shaft repair shop in your are will do this,......... then afterwards, find a more knowledgeable dealership.

Old 01-22-2024, 07:59 AM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Just Chilling

If it goes away after 82………..all he has to do is run 90!!

OX2
Old 01-22-2024, 10:29 AM
OBS460
Cargo Master
Received 1,514 Likes on 975 Posts
I think was a service bulletin about the pinion balancer being installed incorrectly on some diesel equipped duallies.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:41 AM
OX2
More Turbo
Received 143 Likes on 92 Posts
Things you could try.

Road force balancing. If tires are not round (and never were), they still can balance out. Don't think even
add on balancers like Centramatics would fully cure an out of round tire. Ford claims RF #'s of 45 @ 75 PSI
and 35 @ 60 PSI on my 23 F250.

I managed to get 8 and 13 on two tires, put on front and low teens to high 20's on another two
(which I put on rear). New, two of my tires were in the 50+ RF (variance) number range (highly un-acceptable).
RF is not the end all, be all, but it is something else you can try. I had to buy two new tires to fully "fix" it.
Ford would do no better than the 45/35 numbers they got.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vibration Software. This thing is $100 and I've used it for tire vibrations.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...hl=en_US&gl=US

L]

Need a real high quality mount, like this guy. Appears they no longer make them, this looks like NOS. I have an older version that I use on road courses, where you need

something pretty solid to measure G's. I might grab another one at that price, just to have it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/252781554539

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Measure tire runout on any balancer, if you can't find a Hunter RF machine and/or don't trust the operator?

New tire I put on recently on our 17 escape, RF'd @ only 6 and wanted very little weight

For the heck of it, I put it on my old balancer (that has no hood), and checked runout.

Obviously, if you have aggressive AT's or mud type tires, you may need a different setup than I have and should expect more runout.
I don't honestly know what a bad number would be, but I suspect anything over 1/8th", would be not too good.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:48 AM
DPelletier
Laughing Gas
Received 533 Likes on 329 Posts
My 2022 F350 Dually is smooth as a rock (all stock with Michelin LTX's). tires, rims, driveshaft are the first things I'd check/replace

Dave

Old 01-22-2024, 03:13 PM
lariat250
Trailering
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
i have a 2021 F350 DRW and run Michelin Defenders in the front with a dual Fox steering stabilizer shocks in the front. Have no issues with vibration. Factory shocks including stabilizer are junk

Old 01-22-2024, 05:50 PM
bdemay
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Just Chilling
I need to move to your state. 70mph speed limit here and you better not be over 75 or you are in trouble.

Anyway, did you try roadforce balancing the tires? Also what brand of tire are you running? I can only get Michelin to work for me. But again I can’t run 80 mph here.

I have the Factory Michelins LTX A/T’s on the Truck. I have not tried roadforce balancing the tires. I do not know anywhere around here that does that. I will have to look into that.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:52 PM
bdemay
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Desert Don
Is the vibraton in sync with the tires? (Lower frequency)or in sync with the driveline? (Higher frequency) We can’t tell from here.
I would say that it is lower frequency. You can watch the water bottles vibrate in the cup holders and feel it in the seat of your pants.

Old 01-22-2024, 06:04 PM
Desert Don
Lead Driver
I would say that it is lower frequency. You can watch the water bottles vibrate in the cup holders and feel it in the seat of your pants.
Then I will sy keep persuing tire/wheel balance or run-out (Out of round)

Old 01-23-2024, 07:50 AM
Walker1828
Cross-Country
Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts
My truck has been doing the same thing for the past year. I just went and had the tires Road Force balance yesterday and they all came out good ( none out of round and with in spec) and vibration is still there.

I’m think about having the driveline’s rebalanced but lm going to go talk to Ford today first.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:12 AM
cosburn2005
Cross-Country
Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts
I was told by my dealer that they could not road force balance 35's on a dually wheel. Wouldn't fit on their machine. Now if that's true or not I don't know.
I'm running Nitto Ridge Grapplers. 315/70/17.
I replaced all 4 shocks and steering stabilizer with Bilstein 5100 series when the truck had 100 miles on it. Agree, factory are junk.
I have tried shimming the carrier bearing a couple times to see if it made any difference but no changes.
I need to make time to pull the driveshaft and have it balanced.

Side note: When I installed a heavy skirted CM flatbed on my truck, the vibration seemed to be less than it was with the regular truck bed. Most likely the added weight just helped tame it down some but thought I would throw that out there.

Quick Reply: 350 Dually vibration at 75+