1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need Advice -1953 Ford F100

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2024, 07:58 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Need Advice -1953 Ford F100

Hello,
My name is Ragina and I’m new to the forum. I would like some advice on how to get assistance with restoring and selling my dad’s truck. Thank you!

Old 01-18-2024, 08:41 PM
Fomoko1
Received 1,362 Likes on 1,120 Posts
Welcome aboard.
I moved your thread to this forum for technical support.

The following users liked this post:
Old 01-18-2024, 08:49 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 621 Likes on 331 Posts
Hi Ragina,

Welcome to the FTE forum.

First we'd need some clarification on what you are asking about the truck. From there we can help you much better with specific answers.
Are you interested in restoring your father's truck and then keeping it to use?
Are you interested in restoring the truck and then selling it?
Are you interested in selling it as it is?

Each choice will come with specific advice from the very good group of members here.
This truck of yours in a good candidate to restore, as it appears to still be solid enough to fix up and put back on the road. we have seen trucks in far more advance states of deterioration get put back into show condition or safe, reliable daily driver condition. All it takes is a plan, patience, time and money.
Again, welcome and looking forward to your reply.

Tom

Old 01-18-2024, 09:00 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
Thank you Tom!! I’d like to restore and sell it and split the profit. My dad passed away recently and I would like to restore it in his honor, drive it once and sell it to someone who would cherish it.

Thank you again for your assistance!!

QUOTE=pineconeford;21104432]Hi Ragina,

First we'd need some clarification on what you are asking about the truck. From there we can help you much better with specific answers.

Each choice will come with specific advice from the very good group of members here.
This truck of yours in a good candidate to restore, as it appears to still be solid enough to fix up and put back on the road. we have seen trucks in far more advance states of deterioration get put back into show condition or safe, reliable daily driver condition. All it takes is a plan, patience, time and money.

Tom[/QUOTE]

Old 01-18-2024, 09:01 PM
56panelford
FTE Legend
Received 4,169 Likes on 2,677 Posts
Your truck is a 1956 not a 53..

Old 01-18-2024, 09:04 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
Thank you 56panelford:21104447. I wasn’t sure. I’ve looked for the ven number but haven’t found it yet.

Originally Posted by 56panelford
Your truck is a 1956 not a 53..

Old 01-18-2024, 09:27 PM
pineconeford
Knuckle Bandage Sales Rep

Received 621 Likes on 331 Posts
Hi Ragina,

Thank you for the reply. Now we have a starting point (restoring then selling) and that is helpful to provide advice.

An important thing to know is that there are several definitions and extents of restoring an old truck. Some folks will mistakenly consider 'restored' as getting it fully functional and safe to drive after a truck sitting many years, without doing bodywork or mechanical re-builds. At the other end of the spectrum to restore a truck would be to disassemble it down to nothing but a bare frame and carefully getting each component, including all nuts and bolts, back to new specifications by performing professional machine work, buying expensive new-old-stock original parts, and spending huge sums of money replacing and reconditioning the body and chassis to look as good as or better than new.
The first definition can take a month and cost as little as $2,000 and the other end of the range can take 3 years and cost more than $100,000.
So having a restoration plan is very important to consider before anything is done.

Now as for selling and making a profit, this is a risky path to take, especially if the plan involves a total high-end restoration. It is very easy to spend more to restore a truck than it can be sold for. Folks who take this end of the spectrum often do so to keep the truck as it has a high level of sentimental value and money is not an object of concern. The location in the US matters since costs vary by region too.
Also, the old truck market can collapse in the time to finish it, leaving the owner underwater. Or it could rise, but that isn't as likely to happen.

Only someone who does most if not all of the mechanical and body work themself can take an inherited truck, fix it up and sell at a profit in my opinion. Parts cost a lot of money, shipping parts from vendors is very expensive and specialty tools have high costs. Anyone who pays someone else to do mechanical and body work is going to have a slim, if non-existent, profit in my opinion. I'm sure others on here will chime in to provide their advice.
My advice in simplest terms is that if you are going to sell the truck in the end, put as little money into it as possible to make it attractive to a buyer who can then fix it up to their own taste and budget. that is the quickest and safest option. Again, my opinion. I welcome to hear others. 1956 trucks sell very quickly in the current condition yours is in.
Tom

The following 3 users liked this post by pineconeford:
Old 01-18-2024, 10:47 PM
mtflat
Lead Driver

Received 332 Likes on 256 Posts
Hi Ragina!
I absolutely agree with Tom's advice.

With your goal in mind, I would clean it out, scrub it down with soap and water.
Then take it to my favorite local mechanic who can make anything run and have them get it running and address safety issues: brakes, tires, steering, etc.
When you get it back, drive it as much as you want and sell if that's what you still want to do. It costs so much to do a full restoration that the truck is worth more (profit-wise) in the current condition than it would be if restored to showroom condition.

The seat isn't original - so I'm guessing your definition of restore is more along the lines of rebuilding to driving condition.
I'm into REBUILDING, not restoring. I want to be able to drive the wheels off my truck and I don't care if it gets muddy or gets scratched.
The choice is up to you totally. If you do want to RESTORE the truck, there are guys on here who can assist you in all the details. Just ask.
Tim

Old 01-18-2024, 10:54 PM
52 Merc
Hotshot
Received 2,467 Likes on 1,407 Posts
Hi Ragina,
Welcome to the forum! May I offer my condolences on the passing of your father. He had a really nice truck that is worthy of restoration, and it's a shame he didn't get a chance to enjoy it more than he did. Tom has offered some really great advice and options for direction. I would add some insight into the mindset of truck guys like us. For those who are looking for a project, we like to find them in this exact condition. This way we can see exactly what's there and the true condition of the truck, and know what it will take to turn it into the vision in our mind.

If your goal is to sell it for maximum gain to the heirs, selling it like it is, with the junk removed and maybe a bath, will give you the best bang for your buck. You could spend 5 grand "fixing it up a little" and not gain any real resale value, and certainly not enough to recoup the difference in your investment. New brakes, new fuel system, a carburetor and radiator, engine repairs, tires, wiring and electrical, just to scratch the surface of what it will take to roll down the driveway under its own power, adds up to a bunch of money, quickly. If you have to pay someone to do the work for you, a mechanic will charge at least $125-150/hour for the labor, in addition to the parts I just listed. As nice as that truck is, whoever buys it may put 20K or more into it over a couple years, at least, just to get it into reasonable driving condition, and considerably more to do a proper restoration. They're never worth as much as you put into them. You deserve to be aware of what you might get yourself into, so we're trying to paint a realistic picture for you.

Most of the cars and trucks you see sell on the auction shows that looks like big bucks, and it is, will have double that invested in them. You don't build these for profit, you build them for yourself. If you don't see yourself building it for yourself in honor of your dad, then you may consider passing it along as it is, and let that honor shine through others. Your dad will be happy knowing it's going to a loving home that will give it the proper effort and care it deserves. Those are my thoughts, based on many, many years of experience, and we wish you well with your decision. It would be nice to know where you're located. There's a good chance that someone here may be interested in it, and will treat you fair.

Old 01-18-2024, 10:55 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,470 Posts
If you do not want this truck then sell it as is. I imagine you inherited from your father. If so then the selling price will be all profit.

You should go to eBay and search for 1956 Ford truck. See what they are listed for. Find one in similar condition to yours. But these are asking prices. In the left margin click on "sold items". Then you'll see what people are willing to pay. Don't just rely on eBay. Check other vehicles sale sites.

Your truck does have a Ford option that may increase the value of the truck if it is in working condition. The hood has the "overdrive" emblem. If the hood is original to the truck then it has or had the overdrive option.

Old 01-19-2024, 11:41 AM
Kurt G.
Laughing Gas
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
HI Ragina
I would first ask if the motor runs. I recommend checking, maybe a carb rebuild then put up for sale. Many like the patina on the body that your dad's truck has, personally I say keep it and discover some of what your dad liked/loved and enjoy his heritage but that is up to you. My condolenses on your fathers passing.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:26 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
If I choose to sell as is, what do you think it’s worth?
Originally Posted by rmcdonald
Thank you Tom!! I’d like to restore and sell it and split the profit. My dad passed away recently and I would like to restore it in his honor, drive it once and sell it to someone who would cherish it.

Thank you again for your assistance!!

QUOTE=pineconeford;21104432]Hi Ragina,

Tom
[/QUOTE]

Old 01-19-2024, 10:29 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
Thank you Kurt. I’m not sure. It’s been sitting for a while but I’m not sure the last time my dad started it up. QUOTE=Kurt G.;21105056]HI Ragina
I would first ask if the motor runs. I recommend checking, maybe a carb rebuild then put up for sale. Many like the patina on the body that your dad's truck has, personally I say keep it and discover some of what your dad liked/loved and enjoy his heritage but that is up to you. My condolenses on your fathers passing.[/QUOTE]

Old 01-19-2024, 10:36 PM
abe
One Meadow Green Owner

Received 2,640 Likes on 1,470 Posts
Originally Posted by rmcdonald
If I choose to sell as is, what do you think it’s worth?
[/QUOTE]
You have to do that research. We have only seen a few pictures while you have the truck.

Old 01-19-2024, 10:38 PM
rmcdonald
8th Gear
Thank you!! My heart is torn between wanting to keep it and selling it. If I choose to sell it I do want it to go to someone who will cherish it. I’m located in Los Angeles, California.

Originally Posted by 52 Merc
Hi Ragina,
Welcome to the forum! May I offer my condolences on the passing of your father. He had a really nice truck that is worthy of restoration, and it's a shame he didn't get a chance to enjoy it more than he did. Tom has offered some really great advice and options for direction. I would add some insight into the mindset of truck guys like us. For those who are looking for a project, we like to find them in this exact condition. This way we can see exactly what's there and the true condition of the truck, and know what it will take to turn it into the vision in our mind.

If your goal is to sell it for maximum gain to the heirs, selling it like it is, with the junk removed and maybe a bath, will give you the best bang for your buck. You could spend 5 grand "fixing it up a little" and not gain any real resale value, and certainly not enough to recoup the difference in your investment. New brakes, new fuel system, a carburetor and radiator, engine repairs, tires, wiring and electrical, just to scratch the surface of what it will take to roll down the driveway under its own power, adds up to a bunch of money, quickly. If you have to pay someone to do the work for you, a mechanic will charge at least $125-150/hour for the labor, in addition to the parts I just listed. As nice as that truck is, whoever buys it may put 20K or more into it over a couple years, at least, just to get it into reasonable driving condition, and considerably more to do a proper restoration. They're never worth as much as you put into them. You deserve to be aware of what you might get yourself into, so we're trying to paint a realistic picture for you.

Most of the cars and trucks you see sell on the auction shows that looks like big bucks, and it is, will have double that invested in them. You don't build these for profit, you build them for yourself. If you don't see yourself building it for yourself in honor of your dad, then you may consider passing it along as it is, and let that honor shine through others. Your dad will be happy knowing it's going to a loving home that will give it the proper effort and care it deserves. Those are my thoughts, based on many, many years of experience, and we wish you well with your decision. It would be nice to know where you're located. There's a good chance that someone here may be interested in it, and will treat you fair.

Quick Reply: Need Advice -1953 Ford F100