1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

A Sweet Little Hot Rod

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 02:10 AM
LordDarkHelmet
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool A Sweet Little Hot Rod

Ok, I've just purchased an '84 F150 with the stepside flared bed, with plans of making it into one of the sweetest hotrods in town. I'm going to first get it painted, black or yellow are the choices I've got to make at the moment, then wheels, then a new drive train. I'm really looking for input on the drive train because in all honesty this is my first venture into the realm of ford ownership, having driven chevy's all my life and my last car being a vette that i race, please don't hate me so, what do you guys think? I'm wanting to make it a truck that I can drag, but i want to keep it just barely legal enough so I can still cruise around with my girl in it. I know that i'm going to have to replace a lot of stuff, it having a straight 6 now, I'm wanting a v8 so I know i'll need new motor mounts, a new tranny, new alternator, new water pump, fuel pump, basically new everything, what size engine do you think I should get, and what tranny should I match it up with? it's an automatic now, and I'd like to keep it that way, even though I prefer a manual, with the right shift kit i could have it run just as fast and still have enough room on the bench seats to fit peoples for just driving around town. Ok...I'll wrap it up here it's getting long, any input is much appreciated =)

Old 11-20-2003, 02:14 AM
LordDarkHelmet
New User
oh yeah...and side pipe exhaust If you have any ideas or know of any places that would be able to manufacture/supply the things I'll be needing I'd love a link,

Old 11-20-2003, 08:57 AM
spikedog
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Go with a small block V-8, maybe a stroker 351W.

Sidepipes look great on a 'Vette, but not so hot on a truck, in my humble opinion.

Old 11-20-2003, 08:45 PM
i_alone
Senior User
if you want, go with stacks.......

Old 11-21-2003, 06:31 AM
bremen242
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you are looking for fast and drag, go with a 514 & a C6. I'd love a manual, but IMHO, there is not a manual that you can shift fast enough to drag, and actually hold up to enough power to go fast at the strip.

a 514 is a 460 with a bolt-on stroker crank. It make you gobs of power & torque, but you don't have to make a lot of mods to get 500hp, which means it will be more streetable.

Old 11-25-2003, 05:33 PM
The Weezle
Junior User
Just redid a 302....Heres What I did
Bored 0.040
Keith Black Hyper pistonsLower end all balanced
Scat stoker crankshaft
Eagle Ibeam rods
all bearings are Clevite
Stock heads ported and polished
Stainless Manley valves slick 3 angle valve job
roller rockers
24 Lb. ford motorsport injectors
Cloyes Double roller timing set
Melling high volume oil pump
All oil galleys threaded and plugged
Crane comp cam .270 Lift
Hasting Chromolly rings
Stock hydralic lifters
Stock intake Upper and lower
Mallory distributor and control box
Stock motocraft plugs
Edlebrock high volume water pump
High capacity radiator
Bassani stainless equal length headers
true dual stainless exhaust with high flow cats (Bummer)
New B&M tricked out C6 tranny
Future mods will be a super charger gotta save the money first
and who knows maybe nitros?????
all in a 1986 Ford F150..... this thing flys I have beaten the snot out of camaros and Mustangs with this truck now I gotta figure out a way to keep the rear tires sticking to the pavement
also with all those mods it still gets 10 MPG.......

Old 11-25-2003, 09:39 PM
f100guy
Postmaster
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
i would also look for a 460 it is a torque monster that would be easy to modify. use a 9 inch rear end you probably have one one your truck already.

Old 11-25-2003, 10:48 PM
muscle66
Senior User
If you got the money i would just order the 460 crate motor from ford, they say it makes around 525 hp, but i know a guy who builds hotrods, and he says with good headers and a good tune up they make an easy 575-600 hp. He has given me rides and shown me dyno sheets, so i know it aint no joke. And for the price you cant find another crate motor making that much power, and cant find a new stroker with that power either. Thats the plan i was going to go with for my 66 mustang this coming summer.
good luck

Old 11-26-2003, 02:29 PM
LordDarkHelmet
New User
Thanks for all the tips guys :-) and you're right after taking an honest look at it, I'm gonna try to get straight pipes...or at least as straight as is barely legal ;-)