1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 F350 6.7 Engine Questions

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2023, 05:43 PM
SuperDuty_Jennifer
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 F350 6.7 Engine Questions

Hi all.... I apologize for the potential scatteredness. In 2022 I came up with a CEL that turned out being due to my EGR cooler being toast. Took it to Ford, confirmed, and confirmed connected components would need replacing. This also fell underneath the CSP. In addition, I had replaced the EGR previously, on my own a few years prior. Anyway, Ford was backordered on the coolers and ultimately Ford issued the repair to be done using a kit instead of a finished product, etc. Come January, seven mos later, Ford finally had the kit in hand and I had the repair completed. From there forward, I had a number of CELs pop up, ranging in the PCM reprogramming and such. All taken care of at Ford, without issue. Though the last one, they felt they downloaded the wrong one. In May, my turbo booster threw a CEL. Ford said my map sensor was done, and exhaust lines were clogged but otherwise my turbo was in excellent condition. Five days later, I return because I then had a ticking noise coming from the top portion of my engine. I assumed they forgot to put a cap on or something as its happened before. By now, I'm leaking coolant and oil and I have that in cue for diagnostics. Ford tells me my entire engine is done, there is oil blow back and such. I drive the vehicle home. No CEL by the way, no real symptoms as to this issue, minus the ticking. I park it, and tow it to a second place for a second opinion. They put a stethoscope to the turbo and declare its the turbo making the noise. They said it was spewing oil as well. They replace my turbo without any other diagnosis. I prepare to pick my truck up, and they tell me ticking is still happening the same as prior, that the turbo and oil change made zero difference. They will keep the truck, and work on diagnosing it again when they can. Four weeks later, they conclude that the rocker arm assembly is broken, that it's bent and the ticking is it tapping where it shouldn't, because it is slightly loose. But the major issue is oil sludge build up, and that now warrants an entirely new engine. I am preparing to tow it elsewhere for a third opinion, because this place isn't entirely a diesel shop, more a specialty shop that was recommended to me (never used before) and seemingly perhaps maybe not the most versed in diesel engines. Not sure. Doing reading, there's a number of things as could be related, but the discrepancies between Ford and here, plus the issue with the EGR cooler to begin with, is leaving me with wanting some feed back.

Last edited by SuperDuty_Jennifer; 08-11-2023 at 05:48 PM.