Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECM Rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2023, 08:46 AM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
ECM Rebuild

I plan on getting my OEM ECM for my 1988 F150 4.9L checked/refurbished. I was able to find two companies, Cardone and BSE that provides that service. Has anyone had any experience in ECM repair services? How about experience with these two companies or any other ECM repair services?

Old 08-08-2023, 09:58 AM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
You can get a reconditioned ECM for your truck, from Rockauto for around 120.00 with a one year warranty, Local big box parts stores probably have it for approximately the same price with a year warranty. I would ask the refurbishing companies for a ball park quote before sending yours in. With freight and waiting times I think you would come out better with a NEW Refurbished unit. ???

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...computer),2896

Old 08-08-2023, 12:50 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Received 251 Likes on 173 Posts
I recently just had mine go out in my 94 F150. Someone in Colorado Springs called "The ECU Connection" was able to get the one I needed. Only issue I had is supposedly they're moving their office so took my ECM a week to get to me even though I paid for three day shipping.

Old 08-08-2023, 12:58 PM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
Thanks, I'll check them out. How's the truck running with the new ECM?

Old 08-08-2023, 01:15 PM
My4Fordtrucks
Lead Driver
Received 1,383 Likes on 1,092 Posts
Originally Posted by sandymane
With freight and waiting times I think you would come out better with a NEW Refurbished unit. ???
Because in the thread “1988 F150 ECM removal”, the OP doesn’t trust the remanufacturer to understand the complexities of his particular engine computer and provide him with a replacement.

Old 08-08-2023, 01:42 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Originally Posted by Red Rascal
Just want you to make sure you know there are NO new ECM's , Even if you went to a Ford Dealership and bought one it would be a refurbished Cardone, I buy the big box ECMs because I can get one fast and if it fails in the one year warranty I can get a replacement in a day or two. You won't get that buying from a EMC repair place that I know of.

Old 08-08-2023, 08:02 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
The truck acts like it just came off the factory floor. Thing runs great and it actually doesn't jerk hard going through the gears. Before the ECM was replaced the torque converter would randomly disengage, could never decide what gear it wanted to be in, and shift REALLY HARD into the next gear. Would also get really gutless one drive and be back to normal another. Also had a few times where it wanted to stall at a stop in or out of gear. Haven't had a single issue with it since and think you'll be very pleased with a refurbished one.

The following 2 users liked this post by OBSession05:
Old 08-09-2023, 03:36 AM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
Originally Posted by OBSession05
The truck acts like it just came off the factory floor. Thing runs great and it actually doesn't jerk hard going through the gears. Before the ECM was replaced the torque converter would randomly disengage, could never decide what gear it wanted to be in, and shift REALLY HARD into the next gear. Would also get really gutless one drive and be back to normal another. Also had a few times where it wanted to stall at a stop in or out of gear. Haven't had a single issue with it since and think you'll be very pleased with a refurbished one.
Excellant!! I ordered a replacement ECM refurbished by Cardone and it is supposed to be delivered today. I have high hopes it fixes my issues.

Old 08-09-2023, 11:33 AM
wccjester
Trailering
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellant!! I ordered a replacement ECM refurbished by Cardone and it is supposed to be delivered today. I have high hopes it fixes my issues.
Yea definetly let us know how it comes out. I might end up spending the money for a refurbished one and unless I have to CORE my other one get someone to maintenance it just to have one on deck. I have realized that my truck often downshifts and sounds like its 'Dropping' into gear a bit wierd and not sure it the ECM is to blame. I just had the PSOM/Cluster out and sent it for testing and repair. Only issue is the company doesnt tell you what if anything is wrong with it before they do anything they just ensure its testing correctly. Either way it fixed my voltage guage not being correct.

I might make another post about this but where is everyones Oil Pressure guage sitting at as well as coolant temp? My Oil Pressure seems to be around like 20% and the Collant is always right on the within normal temperature parameter on the COOL side. not sure if this is normal or mayb the thermostat is stuck open.

Old 08-09-2023, 04:53 PM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
Yes, I got the replacement ECM in today. It was a Cardone unit the Cardone Rep I talked to claimed would work with my truck. The replacement ECM had, I assume, a Cardone P/N on the box that had no correlation to the numbers I found on my OEM ECM. When I opened the box, the replacement unit had the exact same Engineering Number as my OEM ECM and I was pleasantly surprised. I switched out the ECMs and took the truck on a test drive. It definitely ran and drove better BUT, it still had the occasional/erratic miss. It did NOT get a "check engine" light and I have not check engine error codes. I can live with the way the truck runs now; however, the miss is driving me a little crazy. Anyway, I think I am going to get my OEM ECM rebuilt and returned by BSE or Cardone. I want a spare heart for my truck.

In the interim, I am still looking for someone with the knowledge/test equipment that can figure out what is causing my engine miss. I really like this old truck and I can't give up on it or the mystery. The last comment is that I still have NOT verified correct fuel pressure. Sure, I have replaced the in-tank fuel pump AND the secondary high pressure fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter. this does not guarantee correct fuel pressure. The Schrader valve stem on the fuel test port is not being depressed by the fuel gage adapter and I have not figured out a "good" workaround. I replaced all fuel injectors with Rock Auto replacements. It's possible one of those could be defective. I will endeavor to persevere.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:18 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Yes, I got the replacement ECM in today. It was a Cardone unit the Cardone Rep I talked to claimed would work with my truck. The replacement ECM had, I assume, a Cardone P/N on the box that had no correlation to the numbers I found on my OEM ECM. When I opened the box, the replacement unit had the exact same Engineering Number as my OEM ECM and I was pleasantly surprised. I switched out the ECMs and took the truck on a test drive. It definitely ran and drove better BUT, it still had the occasional/erratic miss. It did NOT get a "check engine" light and I have not check engine error codes. I can live with the way the truck runs now; however, the miss is driving me a little crazy. Anyway, I think I am going to get my OEM ECM rebuilt and returned by BSE or Cardone. I want a spare heart for my truck.

In the interim, I am still looking for someone with the knowledge/test equipment that can figure out what is causing my engine miss. I really like this old truck and I can't give up on it or the mystery. The last comment is that I still have NOT verified correct fuel pressure. Sure, I have replaced the in-tank fuel pump AND the secondary high pressure fuel pump and replaced the fuel filter. this does not guarantee correct fuel pressure. The Schrader valve stem on the fuel test port is not being depressed by the fuel gage adapter and I have not figured out a "good" workaround. I replaced all fuel injectors with Rock Auto replacements. It's possible one of those could be defective. I will endeavor to persevere.

I'm an idiot but I can't remember the exact name for that but pull that vacuum line off and see if the vacuum line smells like gas on the inside. My 94 has always had a miss now and then and that somewhat fixed it. What happens is there is a diaphragm in that piece and if it cracks it can cause the fuel pressure to become low. Another sign is when the heater is on and it smells like gas through the vents. The truck might act a little funny with new ECM for a week or so. Can take up to 50 to 100 miles before the computer has made itself at home. Basically it's perfecting itself with the system.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:19 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
Ah **** I forgot the truck is a 4.9. Not sure if there is anything like that on the 4.9 but might check into that.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:33 PM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
No sweat...I appreciate you trying to help. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. The best tip I ever got to fix another truck was a casual comment made by a contributor that didn't think was a valid comment. Turns out, he was exactly right and it was something I would NEVER have considered and was not caught by "professional" techs at a repair shop.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:41 PM
Red Rascal
Mountain Pass
Forgot to mention, I connected my OBDI code reader and got an 81 and 84 code KOEO and then got a KOER code of 21 and 30. Now, if I understand the code reader manual, the code 30 means the #3 cylinder has an issue...the source of the occasional miss??" I'm going to check this out tomorrow.

Old 08-09-2023, 05:42 PM
OBSession05
Laughing Gas
No sweat...I appreciate you trying to help. All thoughts and opinions are welcome. The best tip I ever got to fix another truck was a casual comment made by a contributor that didn't think was a valid comment. Turns out, he was exactly right and it was something I would NEVER have considered and was not caught by "professional" techs at a repair shop.
Well thanks man! Happy to help anyone in need. I know this **** can be complicated and leave a person scratching their head. 9/10 I had a problem with my rig FTE forums always helped me. Us Ford guys gotta stick together

Quick Reply: ECM Rebuild