Sponsored by: DP Tuner

block heater

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2003, 05:06 PM
underp2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
block heater

About a week ago I noticed the truck was not warm even though plugged in as usual. There are no blown fuses & the cord works fine. I can't seem to find any info about block heaters gone bad in the forum, or where to get a replacement part. Is this a 'dealer only' item? Any ideas on price? Anyone else have this problem? It doesn't seem like too many people even plug their truck in. Thanks.

Old 11-19-2003, 08:10 PM
Scott_Fisher
New User
Block Heater

The wiring for the block heater is not linked to your electrical system, therefore it will not blow a fuse. It is basically an extension cord with a unique recepticle plugging into the heating element.

Unplug it from the element and check voltage, it should be 120 volts, also, while you are there, check the element for resistance by touching the voltmeter prongs to the prongs on the element, it should read around 15 ohm's, any reading and the element should be fine.

If the element is bad, it is 25 plus tax at the Ford parts counter.

I had to rewire mine this past weekend, after 4 years of the final 6 inches of cord bouncing around at 70 mph loosely, one of the 3 wires were severed at the base of the plug that sticks out of the bumper.

This problem prompted me to do what I have wanted to always do anyway, I rewired mine and routed it to the rear of the truck because where I plug in, I always back into the parking space.

Do not assume that the cord is good, check the voltage. Mine only showed 60 volts, I then removed it from the truck, unraveled the protective sheathing and tape, and only then found the break in the line.

Last edited by Scott_Fisher; 11-19-2003 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-20-2003, 06:57 AM
spitball
Senior User
Where is the plug in and what temps are most people using them at? I live in SC, doesnt really get cold here until later on, but when would it be neccessary to plug it in? I had a Chebbie when I lived up in the mountains of NC and it got COLD there, not up north cold but COLD, and I never had to plug it in. What are the advantages? Thanks.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:52 AM
FDNY13
Junior User
underp2: What S_Fisher said...

spitball:
The plug pigtail (if you have one) is located in the bumper opening on the driver's side where the tow hook is/or should be located. I plug mine in only when it gets below freezing. I use a common heavy duty appliance timer (Home Depot) and set it the night before to go on about 1-2 hours before I plan on starting the truck. I also put the defroster on prior to shutting down the PSD in colder months which transmits warmer coolant/air to the sometimes frosty windshield area when plugged in.

ADVANTAGES: Quicker heat to cab and windshield (defroster) - less smoke at start-up and smoother start (at least that's my experience anyway)

Since it's not always possible to plug it in, I always run a lighter oil (Rotella 5W-40 synthetic or 10W-30 diesel rated) in the colder months, and it makes a BIG difference during start-up when not plugged in.

FWIW

Old 11-21-2003, 12:39 AM
horsecop
Senior User
UnderP2, First I hope you can find it. After doing all the wiring/plug checks and find no problem, it would be safe to say the element is bad. I got mine from NAPA. If you haven't changed your coolant lately, here's a good time to do it. If you have, drain the system in clean containers. Removal of the block element is pretty straight forward. Just remember there will be some coolant left. Becareful were your head is when it comes out. Replace the element, plug it back in. put the retaining clip back in and replace the coolant. Then do what FDNY said do. Get the timer. Max temp for the block heater is reached in approx. 3hrs. I leave for work at 7 am. I set mine for 4 am. Makes for a nice drive to work. Then I freeze my rear end off on a stupid horse for eight hours!

Old 11-21-2003, 12:50 AM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Any disadvantages to just leaving it plugged in at night in the winter months? Besides the extra electrical bill.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:59 AM
horsecop
Senior User
Why put the time on the part? It's alot quicker to buy a timer than change out one of those things, again. Especially if you don't have a heated garage.

Old 11-21-2003, 04:42 AM
underp2
Senior User
OK, thanks for the help/direction. I guess this will have to wait until my brother returns with the FLUKE. Leaving it plugged in all the time may have been the cause of death. I am never certain of what time I'll be getting up or leaving for work, so when it starts to get cold, I plug it in. Then when I get to work I plug it in. When it is cold out this truck is plugged in or running for 20+ hours a day. I am also fond of warm feet, so sometimes it is plugged in even when it isn't very cold out. I have noticed that if it is very cold, sometimes the temp guage doesn't even show movement.
Also this is the 2nd block heater for this truck. The first one had some electrical short problems with the plug (possibly caused by driving away before unplugging). The dealer was nice enough to replace that under warranty.

Old 11-21-2003, 08:35 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Where I live it can get 40* at night in the summertime. In winter the high's are maybe in the 30*-40* at night always in the single digets. Both of my trucks could not fit into my garage if it they were stock, much less now. So we put the quads in there

Old 11-21-2003, 09:33 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Tersejr, I know what you mean. It's like that Jeramiah Johnson movie. Everytime I go out in the garage, there something else that shows up!

Old 11-21-2003, 09:52 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Yeah, we even have some carpet in there on the floor. It's nice when I tinkeron things. The only problem is when I drop a nut or bolt I can't hear where it went.

Old 11-21-2003, 09:55 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Just look in the middle. It always falls in the middle of the floor under the truck!

Old 11-21-2003, 10:13 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Yeah, except my truck doesn't fit. I'm usually working on a part or my quad. It hits the carpet quietly, then rolls off some place to hide 'till I replace it. Then I find it. My driveway slants downward to the street. So if I drop a part that can roll, I jump down off the tire quickly ( I'm up on the tire so that I can reach the engine), and I race it to the end of the drive to the street!

Old 11-21-2003, 10:38 PM
horsecop
Senior User
Being in Colorado that's got to be a pretty steep driveway! Haven't heard from underp2. Wonder if the job is done?

Old 11-21-2003, 11:20 PM
TERSEJR
Senior User
Maybe he is chasing his block heater eliment down the drive!

Quick Reply: block heater