1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

Fuel filter location on 1986 E150 w302?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2023, 09:57 PM
annaleigh
Logistics Pro
Received 167 Likes on 154 Posts
You are very welcome and i am glad that you found the data port. As you know code 11 is good! I have never seen a check engine light on in my dash. My emissions light is in the bottom of the light/wiper panel. I have a Actron CP9160 scanner that will read my codes and display the code number instead of flashing. It was bought for my sons 94 regal that has what is called a OBD 1 and 1/2. Seems like I read about a certain year ford having a similar EEC. The scanner came with a Ford OBD! adapter but the only thing it does different then your meter is simply gives the code number and a help menu.
I understand about the poor van and needing a bath. My 85 is 70 miles away and in need of a bath. It hasn't been started in 4 years now. I pulled the bad gas tank out and the new one is inside the van waiting to be installed. Looks almost just like my 88.

Manic, Where you park yourself might depend on how close you can get to the tack and what you are wanting to see. Straight away for the speed or 4,3, and 2 for action in the curves. On top of one of those buildings might be great!

The following users liked this post:
Old 07-13-2023, 08:57 PM
mettelus
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I wanted to post a quick update to this just in case anyone comes across this in the future. This post by Max Capacity (and the thread itself) details the fuel reservoir and the fuel cartridge internal to it (VERY specific to model, as some Econolines have in-line filters). I got the same chain wrench from my Tractor supply and it opened up by hand after only rotating it about 10 degrees with the wrench (the wrench will not fit when the reservoir is installed, so this is best done on a vice outside the vehicle). Mine looks almost identical as far as the gunk in it, and a fiber filter cannot be backflushed to any real effect anyway (why I wanted to know what was inside that reservoir). Cartridge inside mine was a FRAM CG 3862, but that specific cartridge is hard to find anymore. WIX still sells them (WIX Fuel Filter 33268) which comes with the gaskets (mine has a flat gasket, not an o-ring). WIX also has a really handy cross-reference engine to find things they make to fit your vehicle (I was very thankful for that because the dimensions for the 33268 were not listed correctly on Amazon, but it is the correct filter).

Old 07-27-2023, 10:25 AM
87E150
8th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Windshield

does anyone know where I can get a windshield for a 1987 e150 other than the junkyard?

Old 07-28-2023, 04:02 AM
JWA
Fleet Owner

Received 1,412 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by 87E150
does anyone know where I can get a windshield for a 1987 e150 other than the junkyard?
Not really related to this particular thread but have you called a local windshield installer? I'm in the auto/truck glass business and show them readily available.

Old 01-02-2024, 04:29 AM
Jess0795
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by annaleigh
Manic is correct about only a couple of years having a filter in the reservoir. My 1985 E150 is not fuel injected. My 85 with a 5.0 has what is called a feedback carburetor and uses a low pressure fuel pump mounted on the engine block.
My 1985 has a EEC IV ECM that controls fuel/air mixture for the carb. The data connector is located on the passenger side fender apron, behind the battery. On my 85 it is red in color. My 88 which is fuel injected, the data connector is in the same location as the 85. Perhaps the connector you under your dash has to do with an alarm system? Your data connector should look like this and may be red or black.

As to the rust in the fuel reservoir, that would indicate that it came from the tanks and is probably all through out the system and perhaps into the fuel injectors. They do have a screen inside them that can be replaced and you can clean them at home.
Does yours look like this or is it different? Just 2 lines in and 2 lines out?
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...reservoir.html

-
Also I had trouble with my single tank reservoir. It started leaking and turned out to be the O-ring where the cup screws on. Like Manic said, I had to buy a new filter to get the O-ring (mine doesn't use a filter) but had trouble getting the O-ring to stay in place. This thread describes what I did
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...onnectors.html

Hello Annaleigh it looks like we have the same vehicle ! i wonder if i have that carborator too. (There are 2 holes in the front and 1 has a hose and 1 doesn't, i wonder if i need to plug it. I have my fuel pump on the engin block and i have a fuel filter. The fuel system is what I'm trying to tackle because sometimes I don't have fuel in my filter.

I changed the fuel pump but its missing 1 bolt that im having a time finding. So its leaking fuel.
Someone told me I had good fuel pressure but I don't know how to tell. Or if they are right.
I have a new fuel filter and hoses that I could put on there. But my filter looks good so don't know.

there are electricle stuff going on, my rpm guage and gas guage and heat guage doesnt work half the time. I noticed the fuel from the pump leaking to other parts and wires today.

Someone said the fuel leak is a serous thing. Someone else said it's not a big deal. I've had this vehicle since the summer and i think it's been leaking the whole time. I have a propane system but half of it is disconnected.
1985 e150 straight 6 manual motorhome. Do u think thoes manuals would be good for me ? It's hard because this is a conversion van too. People with the e250 or e350 seem to know which company converted their vehicle.

i am new to cars and hoping to learn how to work on this one, any advice greatly appreciated, I would be curious to hear more about your van if you had time to connect