valve body question

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 08:54 PM
jstihl
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by uglypitbull
Thanks for that.....

That was exactly what I wanted to see, thank you!
They do have quite a few for my box code, but you are right...no modified VB tunes. I might just have to pull the plug on these if GH cant get it right. I supposed I could be running both too.

Took her back out for a test drive after replacing the shift lever. Got on it and blew a hot boot almost immediately.....got that fixed up and went back out. She does shift softly.....not saying its bad, but its not the firmness I would expect from a JW.
Ill call GH tomorrow and see if we cant figure that out. It seemed to shift more firmly in the tow tunes than the hotter ones. Never got above 800 EGT even when hot rodding it.
Got some creaking/groaning in the steering...might have to get down there an grease the old girl up. I am just so happy to have a truck again....haha
I'm sure GH will have no problem raising the shift pressures, I have done this with 3 different tuners and I believe it is a rather simple adjustment as It didn't take them long to do this. It seems like you may need a non modified vb tune, maybe the modified vb tunes just have lower shift pressures and yours are just a little to low. Either way I'm sure they can get it sorted out for ya

Old 06-20-2023, 09:43 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
Received 1,632 Likes on 1,148 Posts
FWIW we have been told that 160/30 & 180/30 tunes are very similar so you could run the 180’s if you wanted. Seems there are more choices with the 180/30 as Eswift shared. Thanks Eric!

Also just for clarification, I don’t think the PCM gets any feedback about actual psi of the line pressure. I believe they just control the command of duty cycle for the solenoid. Still changeable, just not by referencing the actual pressure condition.

Old 06-21-2023, 10:48 AM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Received 1,580 Likes on 1,058 Posts
Originally Posted by RacinJasonWV
Also just for clarification, I don’t think the PCM gets any feedback about actual psi of the line pressure. I believe they just control the command of duty cycle for the solenoid. Still changeable, just not by referencing the actual pressure condition.
There is no pressure sensor for line pressure, so the PCM does not know what actual line pressure is. It just assumes that if it commands 200 PSI it gets 200 PSI.

It does have indirect feedback. The PCM measures slip time during a shift and can adjust line pressure for the next shift of the type to bring the slip times back where the calibration engineer set them. That's what I used to do.

The following users liked this post:
Old 06-21-2023, 01:19 PM
uglypitbull
Tuned
Received 142 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by jstihl
I'm sure GH will have no problem raising the shift pressures, I have done this with 3 different tuners and I believe it is a rather simple adjustment as It didn't take them long to do this. It seems like you may need a non modified vb tune, maybe the modified vb tunes just have lower shift pressures and yours are just a little to low. Either way I'm sure they can get it sorted out for ya
Apparently they do have a problem......here is their response. "The tunes are designed for a stock trans and valve body. We feel like it would be harder on the trans with any more pressure"
So even though I told them they feel like buttery shifts..... they apparently don't want to modify them. Sounds like the tunes are designed for non modified valve bodies in the first place.

FWIW we have been told that 160/30 & 180/30 tunes are very similar so you could run the 180’s if you wanted. Seems there are more choices with the 180/30 as Eswift shared.
I feel like I wasted my money on GH tuning if they aren't going to adjust anything......so it appears I am looking into the PHP tunes now.

Technically, I should be able to put both GH and PHP tunes on my Hydra right? Even mix up the 160 and 180 tunes?

Edit: they sent a message that they are defueling on shift....and will send tunes for non defuel shifting. I await the updates and will try those out and report back.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:14 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Edit: they sent a message that they are defueling on shift....and will send tunes for non defuel shifting. I await the updates and will try those out and report back.
I would expect that to make the shifts softer. Let us know.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:20 PM
uglypitbull
Tuned
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky
I would expect that to make the shifts softer. Let us know.
I couldn't really tell the difference unless I was on the All Out tune, and even then it was minimal at best between the 2-3 shift....could have just been the placebo effect too since I knew they were updates.

Old 06-21-2023, 08:33 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
I feel like I wasted my money on GH tuning if they aren't going to adjust anything......so it appears I am looking into the PHP tunes now.

Technically, I should be able to put both GH and PHP tunes on my Hydra right? Even mix up the 160 and 180 tunes?
Be forewarned, PHP will not do any adjustments. They give you access to all their files but won’t do any revisions.

So are the GH tunes new? If so, I feel like GH should honor your request and bump the line pressure a bit. After all that’s what “custom tuning” is…. Oh wait, you mean to tell me these guys selling “custom tuning” are really just sending their version of canned tunes?!? I’m shocked. (Sarcasm)

Yes, you should be able to put the different tunes on at the same time as long as they are the same strategy. If not then it can kill the engine. You can have different strategies on the chip as long as you don’t switch between them with engine running.

Have you thought about contacting AA?

Old 06-21-2023, 08:43 PM
uglypitbull
Tuned
Be forewarned, PHP will not do any adjustments. They give you access to all their files but won’t do any revisions.

So are the GH tunes new? If so, I feel like GH should honor your request and bump the line pressure a bit. After all that’s what “custom tuning” is…. Oh wait, you mean to tell me these guys selling “custom tuning” are really just sending their version of canned tunes?!? I’m shocked. (Sarcasm)

Yes, you should be able to put the different tunes on at the same time as long as they are the same strategy. If not then it can kill the engine. You can have different strategies on the chip as long as you don’t switch between them with engine running.

Have you thought about contacting AA?
Yea, I know PHP isn't making any modifications to existing tunes anymore, or even writing new tunes for that matter.

I also had the same thought on the GH tuning.....I want firmer shifts, they should modify what I have to do just that. Otherwise, you are correct....its canned tuning.

I might be missing something, but PHP had the right shifting strategy for my old truck...and I feel going back would get me to where I want to be. I have also been reading that the 02 and 03 models had Hybrid shifting for those years only because they had 'finicky' transmissions.....not sure what that means.

When you say strategy.....do you mean the TNAA4S2 strategy? I noticed when going between the 2 new tunes I got, there was a little hesitation then a jump in RPM's. I was not on the skinny pedal either.

I know AA used to tune for Matt at Bitterroot, but have also read that AA is becoming less accessible for changes or updates once you have paid.....everyone has their own opinions, that's just what I have read. I have also considered 1023 and Tony Wildman. I am new at the single shot game.....still reading all I can.

PS: I sincerely appreciate all the help with this....and the help I have gotten with my 02 build thread. I have some new updates for that one coming on Friday or Monday.

Old 06-21-2023, 09:17 PM
RacinJasonWV
Lead Driver
When you say strategy.....do you mean the TNAA4S2 strategy? I noticed when going between the 2 new tunes I got, there was a little hesitation then a jump in RPM's. I was not on the skinny pedal either.

I know AA used to tune for Matt at Bitterroot, but have also read that AA is becoming less accessible for changes or updates once you have paid.....everyone has their own opinions, that's just what I have read. I have also considered 1023 and Tony Wildman. I am new at the single shot game.....still reading all I can.
I may not be using the correct terminology but yes that’s what I meant. As long as all the files are TNAA4S2 then you can switch between them. I had PHP and TW on the same chip and have done it.

The TW (Tony Wildman) tunes jump between each one, sometime with a big “romp” when switching at idle. PHP doesn’t at all, they are rock solid during switches.

AA has his own business and was selling his tunes before working with BDP. I think that’s dissolved but believe AA still does tuning from his own business. How accessible he is after the sell I couldn’t tell you. I know Eswift had LOTS of revisions from him when trying to dial in his grumpy truck.

1023 is no longer tuning.

TW I can’t recommend anymore. He was very difficult to get in touch with a year or two ago when I needed something. Not bashing him as he was great years back when working with him. I just kinda got the feeling he has moved on and doesn’t tune much anymore. Maybe other life endeavors now.

It doesn’t matter anyhow as once I could compare the TW and PHP files directly I MUCH preferred the PHP stuff. PHP had less smoke and smoother shifts (not clunky). This is with stock injectors though.

Keep in mind, the PHP Titan files may not be “the same” as the free stock injector versions. A different person could have created the tuning, so shifting may be vastly different.

There’s Jelibuilt

I still feel like GH should help “customize” the tuning as that’s what you paid for. Unfortunately you can’t just “send the tunes back” and go your separate ways if you don’t see eye to eye on that. 🫤

Old 06-22-2023, 10:15 AM
uglypitbull
Tuned
Wow...seems like a lot of folks are getting out of tuning....must be a three letter governmental reason for that .. I presume.

I realize PHP had it right with my stock setup.....might be worth a chance to see if they perform as well with the single shots. I got this email from them this morning.....
"You can run the 180/30 files if you want to try the Hybrid Shift Strategy files."

I have not heard back from GH yet...
@Mark Kovalsky Do they actually know what line pressure their tunes are calling for? Is there a 'safe' PSI ceiling for the 4R100? I am considering escalating this. I don't want to ruin my transmission but I would like to have some nice firm shifts in order to keep it running longer.

Old 06-22-2023, 10:27 AM
ESwift
cncfab
Received 1,615 Likes on 958 Posts
Call AA and have him dial it in… he can base the shift firmness of my specs, I have the same vb as you

Old 06-22-2023, 10:49 AM
Jo7.3
Laughing Gas
Received 102 Likes on 80 Posts
I haven't tried AA, but a lot of people on here seem to like his tuning.

I have tried 1023, PHP, Jelibuilt, and DP Tunes.

PHP and DP had the best shifting, but they were loud and smoky. I liked the shift points and firmness of shifting from PHP, but the torque converter didn't lock in 3rd which sucked.

I prefer Jelibuilt overall. Shifting isn't as good as DP, but I'm satisfied with it. Jelibuilt tow and daily are pretty smoke-free unless I really stab the throttle. The hot tune is a bit smoky, but it's a hot tune. Engine noise is also noticeably quieter than any other tunes I've used

Old 06-22-2023, 11:05 AM
jstihl
Cargo Master
Received 324 Likes on 265 Posts
Originally Posted by ESwift
Call AA and have him dial it in… he can base the shift firmness of my specs, I have the same vb as you
This is who I have used for both trucks. I really like his tunes but I will say sometimes he is hard to get a hold of. It's kind of hit or miss, at least in my experience.....

Old 06-22-2023, 12:51 PM
uglypitbull
Tuned
Thanks fellas...I just sent an email request to see if Andrew can help.

Old 06-22-2023, 02:57 PM
Mark Kovalsky
Fleet Owner

Do they actually know what line pressure their tunes are calling for? Is there a 'safe' PSI ceiling for the 4R100?
I have no idea what they know and what they don't know. I know that when I was creating stock tunes I knew what PSI I was calling for. I had pressure sensors installed in the trans and with the installed instrumentation, I knew what pressures were in each clutch.

There is a safe limit and the pump can't exceed that. It doesn't have the capacity.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: valve body question