New to the diesel game... some questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2023, 08:44 AM
shedgpeth4
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
New to the diesel game... some questions

hey all

new to the diesel game (historically more of a 60's era pontiac guy), but just bought up my neighbors 03 7.3L in unreal condition (70k miles) - couple pics attached. the steering is pretty vague and requires a fair bit of manual input to keep it straight. is that par for the course on these machines (i guess esp. since mine has a small lift on it)? any suggestions on considerations for improvement in this area?

looking into some electronic running boards as well... amp research comes up a lot, is that high quality stuff? truck will mostly be used for light hauling and occasionally towing the classic cars around.

thanks guys, stoked to be part of the community!

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-30-2023, 09:11 AM
Kwikkordead
Fleet Owner
Received 862 Likes on 650 Posts
Wow, talk about a barely driven vehicle!
If your steering is loose, then you'll have to find the point of failure. These trucks steer pretty well when everything is good and tight. Same train of thought as your old cars. Find the loose pitman arm, ball joint, drag link, or tie rod. Check the adjustment on the top of the steering box.
And welcome to FTE!

Old 03-30-2023, 10:43 AM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
I would suggest starting with a Power Steering Flush.
The Power Steering pump ONLY USES TRANSMISSION FLUID

Old 03-30-2023, 11:17 AM
Dan V
Lead Driver
Received 610 Likes on 397 Posts
As far a running boards goes, I went with these Nerf Bars...I choose them for the winter climate here (salted roads) as they are powder coated stainless steel.

N-Fab Nerf Bars

Old 03-30-2023, 11:28 AM
Rot Box 2
Tuned
Received 105 Likes on 69 Posts
Beautiful truck congrats!

Old 03-30-2023, 01:23 PM
truckeemtnfords
Cargo Master
Received 195 Likes on 137 Posts
I agree with Kwikkordead, check all components first. It sounds by your description that it wants to wander a bit, a fluid flush won't hurt anything (I have done two, once to do it and a second when the new Bluetop box went in) but it would not cure what you described.
As far as steps, I installed Amp Research (single motors, dual was not an option then) about 5-6 years ago and no problems with them, even in my harsh climate of 6 month winters with the occasional spraying of lube at the pivot points.

I love old Pontiacs, first car a '66 Catalina 2 dr with 389/400 combo. Wish I still had it.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:35 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 181 Likes on 116 Posts
Nice grab. I had an 04 just like that - same interior, painted bumpers. Very nice! Fitting of that garage it's parked in now, too.

For running boards, my dad has amp on his 2019 6.7L. He loves them. I must say I'm envious of them myself. If you live in colder climate, though, you may consider alternative. I went with him to a family funeral up North during a heavy snow storm. The ice/snow build up was too heavy for the power motors to raise the boards up. If you're in the South, no concerns.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:37 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,002 Posts
Aside from possibly worn steering components, all you may need is a simple alignment. If all the parts chek out okay, all you may need is more toe-in and caster. Did you put the Fox shocks in or was that the PO’s work? They are about the best riding shock for our trucks in my opinion. I am biased of course since I have them too. Got any pictures of the engine bay? Welcome to FTE!

Old 03-30-2023, 01:42 PM
shedgpeth4
4th Gear
Thanks, all, appreciate the input. I've got to find a local spot that will work on in (in eastern county, San Diego), but suspect a fluid flush, components once-over, and an alignment would be a good idea. Previous owner was meticulous about maintenance, but that's not to say you don't get used to tiny changes over time, so perhaps something is amiss and he didn't realize it. I also recognize that the steering wheel isn't a precision instrument ... more of an approximeter, but still, probably worth a look.

Appreciate the feedback on running boards.

Old 03-30-2023, 01:55 PM
CousinCarl
Laughing Gas
Received 181 Likes on 116 Posts
I now see the above response. Maybe his only has single motors?

Old 03-30-2023, 02:28 PM
Brother Les
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts
Have you checked the air pressure in the tires?
Even rotating the tires may make a difference.

(had a slight pull to the left, rotated tires and found one with the belts coming apart.... did not 'see' it on the truck, but when rolling around in my garage.... did not roll very well off the truck.)

Old 03-30-2023, 04:41 PM
shedgpeth4
4th Gear
i'll double check the pressures, thanks for the thought.

Old 03-31-2023, 06:00 AM
Walleye Hunter
Hotshot
Received 888 Likes on 625 Posts
The guys have you covered but be vewy, vewy careful about who and where you let work on your truck. There are many more horror stories than there are success stories and the cost is high. You'll get a lot of, "Needs injectors" for thousands of dollars, "needs a high pressure oil pump" (HPOP 'round here) for a thousand or so, "a sensor or two" for another five hundred. These trucks are old and most of their issues have been addressed before and the folks here are second to none on willingness and ability to help. Get set up with ForScan and a good OBD dongle and get familiar with your new acquisition. I use a VeePeak adapter but there are a few options and other guys use others. Don't buy a cheap Chinese ELM adapter, it probably won't work.

The following users liked this post:
Old 04-01-2023, 02:12 AM
aawlberninf350
It's a Van Gogh
Received 869 Likes on 633 Posts
What they said. Plus the steering box can be tightened up with an allen and box end wrench, if it's just normal wear.

Bought a 66 LeMans with my college roomie for $500, blue, one small ding LR fender but straight, not running for unknown time. Splashed gas on the carb and after putting out the underhood fire it started. Drove nice a few miles to a stop light. Suddenly fogged massive oil smoke while waiting for light. Across from us a Sherriff deputy, who promptly pulled us over and was way more belligerent than warranted. CHP showed up and order restored, but by then we were done with the car. Got away.

Old 04-01-2023, 07:31 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 3,032 Likes on 2,002 Posts
Originally Posted by Walleye Hunter
be vewy, vewy careful
Don't you dare think I missed that.

Quick Reply: New to the diesel game... some questions