2010 Ranger, Low / No Low Beam output, various electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2023, 07:43 AM
jfk2000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2010 Ranger, Low / No Low Beam output, various electrical issues

Hello all,

2010 Ranger Sport, 4.0L 2WD. My low beams are VERY dim when turned on, and I'm trying to troubleshoot before bringing in the big guns.

- Driver Side Bulb: Very Dim low beam, NO high beam.
- Passenger Bulb: Almost non-existant low beam, Normal High Beam.
- Fog lights: Normal.

Other electrical issues:

- Dome Light only turns on when the access cab doors are open, not the main doors. It will turn on when the dimmer switch is fully rolled up and clicked on as well.
- Fog Lights: When I turn off the High Beams while the Fog Lights are on, the Fog Lights audibly click and cycle on / off rapidly for a few seconds before staying on. (I know the Fog lights don't turn on at the same time as the High Beams, I'm not sure if this clicking and cycling is normal though).
- There is no chime or warning to let me know the headlights are still turned on when turning off and exiting the vehicle.

I've searched, and found a few other Rangers with similar issues, no solid solution for me yet though. Things I've tried:

- Replacing bulbs.
- Replacing fuses. All fuses were solid, but replaced them anyway.
- Checking / cleaning grounds in the engine bay. I found approx. 5 of them, and cleaned them up to ensure good contact.
- Removed battery for a hard reset.

I'll move onto a multimeter test next for voltage. Any other suggestions? Thanks guys.

Old 02-28-2023, 08:08 AM
pawpaw
Received 73 Likes on 71 Posts
Welcome to FTE.

Good idea to have checked / cleaned under hood grounds. Did this problem come about suddenly after some event???
Use, borrow, or come by the ELM scan-tool & running FORScan freeware diagnostic program on your viewing device of choice as discussed here Low Cost ELM Scantool - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com), as this inexpensive but powerful combo can access All of the vehicle computer / controllers, like the GEM & body controller, for trouble code clues & post All pending, or set trouble code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble-shoot. Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.

Old 02-28-2023, 02:56 PM
jfk2000
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pawpaw
Welcome to FTE.

Good idea to have checked/ cleaned under hood grounds. Did this problem come about suddenly after some event???
Use, borrow, or come by the ELM scan-tool & running FORScan freeware diagnostic program on your viewing device of choice as discussed here Low Cost ELM Scantool - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums (ford-trucks.com), as this inexpensive but powerful combo can access All of the vehicle computer / controllers, like the GEM & body controller, for trouble code clues & post All pending, or set trouble code Numbers, as they can help focus a trouble-shoot. Some beginning thoughts for consideration, let us know what you find.
Thanks for the response.

Problem came on suddenly, no new electrical work or anything to cause it.

I'll look into that Scan Tool, thanks.