6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

SPE CCV and external catch can, Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 10:16 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,420 Likes on 4,671 Posts
Originally Posted by unreng
I’ll be doing this exact install and trying to use a Racor ccv6000
That's essentially an oil catch can... good luck with the install. Post up pics please...

The Mishimoto oil catch can system is designed to fit right under the factory CCV box, with fittings that fit into the ports on the valve cover, which retains a stock appearance while rendering the CCV box useless because the one fitting plugs the out port I believe, and the other fitting intercepts and sends the CCV gases/oil mix to the catch can. It's essentially a plug and play kit. No modifications. The Mishi cans have a drain port on the bottom as well.

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-24-2023, 10:22 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 766 Likes on 404 Posts
Originally Posted by Overkill2
It's weird how it turns oil looking stuff into a light tan color by said oil/other contaminants absorbing the water caught in winter as the engine burns off the condensation that forms when the hot oil cools off in the cold temps. Yeah, I like keeping that schitt out of the intake as well.
It's quite literally an oil and water emulsion, like mayonnaise.

Old 03-24-2023, 10:28 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by jollyrogr
It's quite literally an oil and water emulsion, like mayonnaise.

Powerstroke mayo...

The following 2 users liked this post by Overkill2:
Old 03-24-2023, 01:18 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 308 Likes on 217 Posts
I'm interested in the ccv reroute mod too..........but can't we just plug the inlet at the turbo, cut and extend the hose coming from the original ccv breather box and route it to the rear of the truck? Its basically free.

Old 03-24-2023, 02:16 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by jimzpsd
I'm interested in the ccv reroute mod too..........but can't we just plug the inlet at the turbo, cut and extend the hose coming from the original ccv breather box and route it to the rear of the truck? Its basically free.
Not if you're stock... but being deleted... sure. Not that I'm an expert... but the hose coming off my 16 CCV box is ribbed plastic, like a cable loom... And if you're deleted, you can do what you want.

Old 03-24-2023, 03:48 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by unreng
I’ll be doing this exact install and trying to use a Racor ccv6000
Found more info these Racor units...

https://www.parker.com/content/dam/P...entilation.pdf

Old 03-24-2023, 04:32 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Overkill2
Not if you're stock... but being deleted... sure. Not that I'm an expert... but the hose coming off my 16 CCV box is ribbed plastic, like a cable loom... And if you're deleted, you can do what you want.
I don't understand what you mean with being stock or deleted. How would this matter with a ccv reroute mod?

Old 03-24-2023, 05:10 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I don't understand what you mean with being stock or deleted. How would this matter with a ccv reroute mod?
Because you are talking about retaining the CCV box, altering the hose if it can even be sealed completely because like I said, it's a thick ribbed plastic hose similar to split cable loom, so you would have to plug off the hose there at the turbo but from what I remember, there's a sensor there on the turbo that looks for the connection from the ribbed hose. Is it possible? Sure. Will it work? I don't know. I'm just giving you my opinion.

Okay just looked up the CCV box and came up with this box... but this is saying it's for the non-sensor version.

https://swagperformanceparts.com/16-...15030a81bdcfa4

You can see what I mean on the plastic hose coming off that CCV box... it would be difficult to seal it to a fitting because it's made from plastic.

If you want a CCV reroute/bypass, get rid of the CCV box and go with one these kits or similar...

https://swagperformanceparts.com/swa...e-reroute-kit/

Here's the link to SPE's kit because this is what this thread is about.

https://www.spemotorsport.com/products/ccv-reroute-kit

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-24-2023 at 06:16 PM. Reason: add info/ add more info
Old 03-25-2023, 08:40 AM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Interesting, all the videos I saw of doing the reroute showed the turbo hose being removed and the inlet port being capped off with an included rubber cap.

Old 03-25-2023, 11:21 AM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I still want the fumes to get back into the intake, just minus the oil and water. I don't want the stink of CCG coming out of the truck. My original thought, the SPE CCV that traps oil and returns it to the pan and the catch can to get everything else that gets by and returning clean gasses to the intake.

I haven't looked at any catch cans yet, I keep seeing morimoto but haven't seen any links to it. I figure since I will be in that area installing the S&S return filter, might as well tackle both.

The following 3 users liked this post by acdii:
Old 03-25-2023, 01:27 PM
unreng
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acdii
I still want the fumes to get back into the intake, just minus the oil and water. I don't want the stink of CCG coming out of the truck. My original thought, the SPE CCV that traps oil and returns it to the pan and the catch can to get everything else that gets by and returning clean gasses to the intake.

I haven't looked at any catch cans yet, I keep seeing morimoto but haven't seen any links to it. I figure since I will be in that area installing the S&S return filter, might as well tackle both.
https://www.mishimoto.com/universal-...h-can-kit.html
this is the same can from mishi's powerstroke kit - https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-6-7-p...-kit-2017.html

I'm going with morimoto due to the size of the racor unit.

Old 03-26-2023, 12:35 PM
acdii
Logistics Pro
Received 2,037 Likes on 1,382 Posts
I was looking at those yesterday, but the CCV box stays in place and it mounts where the S&S filter mounts. I may wait a bit as I may want to remove the top of engine filter and put the SPE filter kit in after I see some reviews. Then there is plenty of room to mount this can.

Old 03-26-2023, 07:43 PM
unreng
Mountain Pass
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What im doing is installing the spe ccv with internal catch can with the mishi catch can. A bit more expensive, but this way everything is kosher.

Old 03-26-2023, 08:12 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Originally Posted by acdii
I was looking at those yesterday, but the CCV box stays in place and it mounts where the S&S filter mounts. I may wait a bit as I may want to remove the top of engine filter and put the SPE filter kit in after I see some reviews. Then there is plenty of room to mount this can.
I extended the hoses from the adapters under the CCV box for the Mishimoto catch can and have the can sitting on top of the electrical box on a piece of 2x6 I believe it is. I have pics that I'll post here. The reason I did this was for installing the S&S kit (haven't yet)... stand by for pics... gotta look for the pictures or I'll snap a few more.

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-26-2023 at 08:22 PM. Reason: edit post
Old 03-28-2023, 09:49 PM
Gomerpyle
Hotshot
Received 2,632 Likes on 1,287 Posts
Can I ask, at what mileage are most of you doing this? I'm thinking about any warranty issues that might arise, but at the same time, I feel the earlier the better.

Quick Reply: SPE CCV and external catch can, Anyone done this?