6.7L Power Stroke Diesel 2011-current Ford Powerstroke 6.7 L turbo diesel engine

SPE CCV and external catch can, Anyone done this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2024, 04:23 PM
jimzpsd
Fleet Mechanic
Received 332 Likes on 235 Posts

Something to think about..........

The following 2 users liked this post by jimzpsd:
Old 03-04-2024, 05:10 PM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

Received 6,530 Likes on 4,754 Posts
Originally Posted by jrsavoie
what's the FS2000?

I had FS2500 engine oil bypass filters on all of my other diesels. I haven't got around to this one yet.

​​​​​I don't think you were referring to this gun
https://www.guncritic.com/product/fn...erica-fs-2000/
Originally Posted by jollyrogr
Yeah he has FS2500.
Hahaha... negative. I wasn't talking about the bullpup rifle there... Yes. I have the FS2500 with the spin on filter conversion..

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-04-2024, 05:40 PM
4wd6.7L
Lead Driver
Received 2,096 Likes on 1,575 Posts
Originally Posted by jimzpsd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Qu2-Dr3jF8

Something to think about..........
It is something to think about, but just like a dead end thread, I didn't see him respond to any of the valid questions or rebuttals in the comments. When a guy says "...I don't know why that is.." it's hard to simply just take his word for it.

We've heard from plenty of owners who have slowed or stopped oil leaks with a reroute. I've even heard some say their truck feels noticeably more powerful, or maybe more responsive with a reroute. I would be interested to see how many 6.7l owners on this site (or anywhere), who have rerouted their CCV, have also ran into turbo seal leaks. That would certainly help back that gentleman's claim.

The following 4 users liked this post by 4wd6.7L:
Old 03-04-2024, 08:35 PM
kayakingpoodle
Mountain Pass
Received 117 Likes on 83 Posts
That wasn't a 6.7 in the video, and he is saying leave it stock showing a truck that has other mods done to it. I like that guys channel, but this is apples and oranges. A plugged 6.7 CCV is will cause more issues than that truck has. That "reroute kit" looks like it was sourced at home depot, and is reduced by close to half the diameter with a 90 deg. fitting designed for pressurized water, have a look at pressurized water fittings compared to DWV fittings that are for gravity flow systems for a visual comparison. Also on the 6.7 the CCV system is closed off under boost and even more CC pressure builds stressing the seals in ways that can't happen on a properly designed OCV system like the one from SPE.

ETA: I am not saying anyone should change to an open system, just that the video is not a valid reason not to change.

The following 3 users liked this post by kayakingpoodle:
Old 03-05-2024, 06:54 AM
jrsavoie
5th Wheeling
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Overekill2
Hahaha... negative. I wasn't talking about the bullpup rifle there... Yes. I have the FS2500 with the spin on filter conversion..
I tried the spin on and went back to the canister.

There's no doubt the FS2500's do an awesome job.

I also ran some Amsoil bypass filters, but always preferred the FS2500.

I thought maybe there was also a FS2000 that I never knew about.

I also run the return to the oil fill tube, .not the cap. It's not often I remove the fill cap with the engine running.

I noticed decades ago, it's better if you point the nipple for the return slightly down and it eliminates the splash.

Old 03-05-2024, 08:17 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I also ran some Amsoil bypass filters, but always referred the FS2500.

I also run the return to the oil fill. It's not often I remove the fill cap with the engine running.

I noticed decades ago, it's better if you point the nipple for the return slightly down and it eliminates the splash.
I've been rocking the spin on conversion since it first came out... I actually cut open one of the used spin on filters and they are impressive. I am now running a set of obsolete Filter Mags, an older set meant for a industrial application because of the large diameter of the spin on filter, on the FS2500 spin on filter that I got for the price of a Filter Mag hat. I was inquiring about the industrial filters, made for oil filters on factory generators and hydraulic systems, but they cost some coin. The guy from Filter Mag offered the set I have now for free if I bought a hat from the website. I'm going to cut open the filter when I replace it and will post up here...

Old 03-10-2024, 09:19 PM
kayakingpoodle
Mountain Pass
I found this kit from SPE Motorsports that may be of interest to those wanting to keep a closed crankcase ventilation system but be able to check and clean the system. It is a little spendy, but is a well thought out and good looking set up. From the looks of it a person could add the "cheese grater" catch can available for the reroute kits if they wanted.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:18 AM
jrsavoie
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by Overkill2
I've been rocking the spin on conversion since it first came out... I actually cut open one of the used spin on filters and they are impressive. I am now running a set of obsolete Filter Mags, an older set meant for a industrial application because of the large diameter of the spin on filter, on the FS2500 spin on filter that I got for the price of a Filter Mag hat. I was inquiring about the industrial filters, made for oil filters on factory generators and hydraulic systems, but they cost some coin. The guy from Filter Mag offered the set I have now for free if I bought a hat from the website. I'm going to cut open the filter when I replace it and will post up here...

Please tag me or whatever to keep me informed.
I've been using the marine cartridges because they're slightly lower micron.

When I was running and guñning,. We had several vehicles to maintain - we put ovér 2 million - mostly trouble free miles on our old GMT400 6.5 diesels.
I attribute that to the bypass filters, Fluidamprs, servicing the timing chain every 200,000 miles or so and servicing injectors every 125,000 miles or so.

The time saved by running 20,000 mile oil changes was huge.

We did oil samples, sporadically.

I have trouble keeping up with 30,000 miles a year of maintenance now. Back then I put 45,000 miles on one vehicle in 9 months. That 1989 C2500 lasted 800,000 miles.
I just kept doing the same things to every vehicle as we acquired them.

Bypass filter, Fluidamprs, Amsoil, B11 fuel. - before Ulsd, the fuel was much more bio friendly.

Old 03-12-2024, 07:22 AM
jrsavoie
5th Wheeling
Originally Posted by kayakingpoodle
I found this kit from SPE Motorsports that may be of interest to those wanting to keep a closed crankcase ventilation system but be able to check and clean the system. It is a little spendy, but is a well thought out and good looking set up. From the looks of it a person could add the "cheese grater" catch can available for the reroute kits if they wanted.

I do intend to keep the CCV.

I also believe it's a good place for a filter before the oil is reintroduced.
I have always liked to keep the vacuum on the crankcase on all of my vehicles

The following 2 users liked this post by jrsavoie:
Old 03-12-2024, 07:53 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

When I was running and guñning,. We had several vehicles to maintain - we put ovér 2 million - mostly trouble free miles on our old GMT400 6.5 diesels.
I attribute that to the bypass filters, Fluidamprs, servicing the timing chain every 200,000 miles or so and servicing injectors every 125,000 miles or so.

I have trouble keeping up with 30,000 miles a year of maintenance now. Back then I put 45,000 miles on one vehicle in 9 months. That 1989 C2500 lasted 800,000 miles.

Bypass filter, Fluidamprs, Amsoil, B11 fuel. - before Ulsd, the fuel was much more bio friendly.
I believe I did a FS2500 thread here, or maybe it was in the Super Duty/heavy Duty 99 to 16 heavy duty truck section...if so I'll link here and start a new thread on it...

Last edited by Overkill2; 03-12-2024 at 08:32 AM. Reason: Correct post
Old 03-12-2024, 08:36 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts

I think those days are gone. With the emissions and fuel dilution of oil on the new engines I would not run that long of an OCI.

Old 03-12-2024, 09:01 AM
Overkill2
Making donuts deplorable

I think those days are gone. With the emissions and fuel dilution of oil on the new engines I would not run that long of an OCI.
Yeah you bring up a good point... on a deleted truck yeah... maybe before I was more educated on my truck, I thought I could run extended OCIs but not with active regens. It seems the latest emissions strategies on the latest 6.7s keeps the soot levels down, reducing the need for more frequent regens, so maybe that's why the factory OCIs for the latest 6.7s are out more than the earlier trucks.

Old 03-12-2024, 10:17 AM
jrsavoie
5th Wheeling

I also ran some Amsoil bypass filters, but always preferred the FS2500.

I also run the return to the oil fill tube, .not the cap. It's not often I remove the fill cap with the engine running.

That's where the oil samples come into play.
They will tell you how long you can run your oil.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:28 AM
jollyrogr
Cargo Master
Received 767 Likes on 404 Posts
That's where the oil samples come into play.
They will tell you how long you can run your oil.
Yes and they will tell you that you can't go that long. And with the money spent on oil tests and bypass filters and additional oil, you could have just changed the oil. I'm not knocking you, I used to think the same as you but after talking to some mechanics and seeing it first hand, fuel dilution is a real issue.

Old 03-12-2024, 11:21 PM
kayakingpoodle
Mountain Pass
I do intend to keep the CCV.

I also believe it's a good place for a filter before the oil is reintroduced.
I have always liked to keep the vacuum on the crankcase on all of my vehicles
You do know on the 6.7 in stock form when the "vacuum" gets to a certain point the CCV is disabled to prevent excessive oil consumption and crank case pressure is the highest, same for any forced induction IC engine. The best visual for how and why this is can be seen in tractor pull videos look for the blowby tubes under the tractor, notice how they stop "smoking" when shortly after it returns to idle and the boost is gone. I know this is an extreme example but it does show how blowby increases under boost, and that is when the "vacuum" on the inlet side of the turbo is highest, at which point the CCV is no longer "venting" but building pressure. I wonder why the 6.7 has bottom end oil leaks.

The following 2 users liked this post by kayakingpoodle:

Quick Reply: SPE CCV and external catch can, Anyone done this?