Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Failed to start once, changed my trip meter, ODO "error"

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2023, 01:41 PM
MiteyF
Cross-Country
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Failed to start once, changed my trip meter, ODO "error"

Hello, recently acquired 92 F250, 351/5spd. First off, this truck essentially sat untouched for... 6 months? A year? prior to me purchasing it. New alternator, oil change, fresh gas, fixed a coolant leak (which is what killed the alternator) and I've had no issues since (aside from an RPM related clicking when cold and under acceleration... lifter?).

I've only put about 100-200 miles on this truck since I bought it a few weeks ago. Everything seems to run/drive/shift/work properly. The other day I went to start the truck, just to move it out of the way. It started up, idled really rough for about 5-10 seconds, then died. I tried restarting to no avail, not even a cough. After about 4 or 5 15 second bursts with the starter, it fired up, idled really rough for a few seconds again, then cleaned up and seemed fine.

A day or 2 later, I turned the key on, and on the ODO it said (I think, only flashed on for a few seconds) "error3", or something similar. Every time since then, no issues. Turn key, ODO displays. No dash warning lights etc.

I have done a few short trips with it since then, and had no issues. However today, when I checked my trip meter, it read 4800 miles... I reset it the last time I filled up my tanks, so it should be reading ~150ish.

Of course it's possible these are unrelated, but timing makes it seem unlikely. Obviously I'm hoping it's a 1 time quirk, and doesn't happen again, but we all know how likely that is... and of course troubleshooting a previous, single incident is near impossible.

Can anyone think of any relation to the trip, a possible error code on the ODO, and a one-time no-start condition?

Thanks in advance

Old 01-30-2023, 02:02 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Received 620 Likes on 496 Posts
Error 3 means your (PSOM) has failed and needs repairing or replacing. Most folks replace the cluster with one from a salvage yard. PSOM is basically your speedometer and odometer.

POST 4 has some good info on what you need to do.
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/5...o-buy-one.html

Old 01-30-2023, 03:23 PM
MiteyF
Cross-Country
Thank you. I guess that makes sense with the funky trip reading. I only drove it for a few miles today, but the speedo was working properly, and I didn't take note of the ODO aside from checking my trip meter when I got back home, only to find out it had gone wacko. Next time I drive it, I'll watch the ODO carefully to see that it appears to be working, but if the speedo is doing well, I assume the ODO should be reading correctly as well.

Could that in any way be connected to the no-start issue?

Old 01-30-2023, 03:34 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by MiteyF
Thank you. I guess that makes sense with the funky trip reading. I only drove it for a few miles today, but the speedo was working properly, and I didn't take note of the ODO aside from checking my trip meter when I got back home, only to find out it had gone wacko. Next time I drive it, I'll watch the ODO carefully to see that it appears to be working, but if the speedo is doing well, I assume the ODO should be reading correctly as well.

Could that in any way be connected to the no-start issue?
Not that I know of. The usual running symptom is poor shifting on an automatic transmission. Doesn't apply to your manual trans. My only concern is the fuel that was in there and you topped it off. If it was really bad you could have a clogged fuel filter. I would replace it if you didn't already.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:41 PM
MiteyF
Cross-Country
The fuel filter is a good idea, something I'd normally do to a new rig that has sat, but haven't yet. It was one of my first thoughts when the truck sputtered then wouldn't start, but after it fired up and ran normally for a few short trips, I figured it wasn't likely that it cleared itself (although possible of course). When I bought the truck both tanks were well below 1/4 full (nearer 1/8 or less), so instead of draining, I just filled them both up to the top with fresh. I've only run off of the front tank for any period of time, I'll put 1/2 tank or so through the rear when the front's getting low to make sure it doesn't have any water etc.

I'll have to look and see if there's a single filter, or one per tank.Still new to this gen Ford.

Thanks again.

Old 01-30-2023, 05:59 PM
sandymane
Lead Driver
You have a single filter on the driver side on the frame.
Each tank has its own FDM. Fuel Delivery Module.